The Thai Family Coming to Town

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

The Thai Family Coming to Town

Post by Frank La Rue »

This is a story in the making and I'll share it for what it will be worth. If there will be any insights, time will tell.

Last visit to Thailand wifey and i had agreed to invite wife's sister, their children and husband to come and stay with us during the childrens thai school holiday.

There are som reflections behind it, for one - this is where their aunt/sister lives most of the year, for the children it may be a rare opportunity to aquire a world view (maybe this is patronizing - but thais a very Thai - orinetated in my experience), it may help our relationship if they know more about me and my background, and wife is adamant it will prepare the ground for retirement in Thailand if I need some assistance getting more beers to the house in very old age, also if it is in Hua Hin. Wifey loves her family but is also quite utllitarian in this respect.

They arrive on April 15th with Norwegian - i got a really good deal for a direct flight with Dreamliner - 2500 USD equivalent for 4 tickets, my brother - in - law was in the end ordered by wifey's sister to stay at home to work and keep the salary coming.

We have lined up a few things to do, albeith it's Easter over here -and at least one of the suitcases - I understand it is the largest one - is reserved for Thai spices and food ingredients all sorts.
I have tried to explain that there actually is regulations at the airport for import of seeds, spices and other via travel, but I dont think that ever became a part of the equation.

My wife's sister has visited us once before when our son was born and showed impressive skills in getting about with the english she has got, she is a good problem solver so I think it will go well.

The formalities of getting visa for them was subject to quite thorough documentation requirements but as long as we followed the requirements stated clearly on the Web site of the Norwegian Embassy in Thailand it went well and really without hazzle.
It was a job to get done though, with local police in my town stamping in person the authenticity of the documents I had to provide from here (Marriage certificate, proof of employment, proof of income, predefined forms).

These had to go to the visitor, not the embassy in Bangkok, who subsequently had to go there in person. It was not required to present proof of return ticket in advance, albeith I chanced already buying the tickets in January when there was a few days with particularly good prices on direct flights.

As you can imagine - with 3 children it makes it easier not having to find the way on one of the large european airports from one gate to another, and having to go through the entry to Chengen.

The weather is looking up and we seem all set - As the visit evolve I will try to post real - time about this sociological experience in reverse - Thais in The Arctic! :shock:
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Thai Family Coming to Town

Post by oakdale160 »

I think it is very noble of you to do this, it could well have a profound effect on the children but set your expectations low. I think we have all met Thais who lived abroad for many years and who were totally unchanged by the experience.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

oakdale160 wrote: I think we have all met Thais who lived abroad for many years and who were totally unchanged by the experience.
If true, this is not exclusive to Thais. So many farang living in Thailand seem to think they're still in their home country but the weather's better and the service worse.
This is the way
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

oakdale160 wrote:I think it is very noble of you to do this, it could well have a profound effect on the children but set your expectations low. I think we have all met Thais who lived abroad for many years and who were totally unchanged by the experience.
LOL - as I said, my wife expects a return in retirement through various practical services - she is building brownie points. With everyones good will and intent we may have a good time though and with some fun stories and misunderstandings to share in the next 4 weeks
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Just be prepared to pay for everything. When family comes to visit me, I pay... when we go to visit them, I pay... seems farang pays no matter which way it goes.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:Just be prepared to pay for everything. When family comes to visit me, I pay... when we go to visit them, I pay... seems farang pays no matter which way it goes.

Yup - that's in the cards - they bring a suitcase full of thai spices and other thai ingrediences - i paid on wifeys request. Apparently I get it back i old age as services to be rendered,
bonnielass
Professional
Professional

Post by bonnielass »

Hopefully it will be a fun experience for all. I have always found Thai people to have a good sense of humour and have shared many a laugh over things that got "lost in translation". Will be interesting to read your future posts. I just hope your visitors can cope with the North European climate. First expense might be for woolly pullys.

BL
Ye canny shove yer Grannie off a bus....
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

bonnielass wrote:Hopefully it will be a fun experience for all. I have always found Thai people to have a good sense of humour and have shared many a laugh over things that got "lost in translation". Will be interesting to read your future posts. I just hope your visitors can cope with the North European climate. First expense might be for woolly pullys.

BL
It snowed outside our kitchen window yesterday whilst we were on line /skype with the visitors - to - be, they were concerned when we turned the camera to the window :shock: . We have made sure we have duvets for everyone and checked that we have winter jacktet to lend all. :D

But yes, as you say, they are a happy and funloving lot and I have put together a program to keep them bussy, so I look forwards to it :D
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

dtaai-maai wrote:
oakdale160 wrote: I think we have all met Thais who lived abroad for many years and who were totally unchanged by the experience.
If true, this is not exclusive to Thais. So many farang living in Thailand seem to think they're still in their home country but the weather's better and the service worse.
Agree with you, and then, why should they change ???

As for paying the bills, it's normal for rich Thai people to pay for others. I know a Thai businessman who takes 8-10 people of his family every year to Korea or Hong-Kong.

I will be happy to know how the experience will develop and sincerely wish it will be fun for everybody, Frank and his relatives included.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

The Big Day has finally arrived.

As the clock ticked away past 04:00 in the early monring Norway time, wife did NOT get any call on her mobile.
The agreement with her sister has been that if there were any unforeseen problems checking in or getting off the ground she would call us, even at this ungodly time.

If everything went to plan and they took off we would be spared for this call before take off, and get our restful sleep in preparatiion for the joyful but bussy days ahead,04:00 was the norwegian equivalent to the plane's take - off time at Suwanabum-

What happened was irrefutable , thai lady logic: at 04:02 I was woken up buy my wife twisting and turning in bed next to me, she was checking the time. She had woken up in fear of the dreaded call, and in anticipation fo the call not coming, i.e. the family was under way.

Frankiewife: Kuhn Frank, Kuhn Frank - wake up! they not call!!

Do you know when someone is exited and trying to stay quiet at the same time?

She needed to share the exitement and wanted to avoid waking our little son who was (and still is) asleep in the adjoint room.

So wife tried to exercise the exquisite art of wispering loudly.

Me - Frank . drowsily: "Uhu? - What time is it?"

Frankiewife: "It is more than Four o'clock!" Sister not call!"

Me:" Then we can sleep.........."

Frankiewife: "If we sleep - how we know they come?!" -as I said, irrefutable thai lady logic.

Wife now got into overdrive with everything which has to be done.

For a start I have been tasked with buying a 10 Kg sack of Thai rice at the local Asia . shop. I had advocated to buy it allready last weekend on the grounds that family had gotten visa and the tickets were bought, but no - the 10 KG sack was not to be bough until wife knows the plane is in the air.

Next was the humdrum with the logistics of picking them up at the airport.

Wife has been looking forwards to us all meeting them at the airport.I explained that 7 people in our SUV taking 5 is a non-starter in Norway, unlike Thailand where you get away with it, we could get reported at any toll station or other, in addition it would mean driving without childrens seating, and as per law 2 children seats would be required for our group of 7.

There were too may laws here for me to loose my drivers license if anyone would react and we would be driving on the motor way, so I genuinely felt uncomfortable about it.

Wife then fell back on all of us going by airport train and returning with all of them by airport train.

The ticket costs would amount to 1200 NOK, ( 120£/ 180 USD) or 6000 Baht.
Wifey felt this was out- of - proportion expensive and that this money should go to buy spices and thai ingrediences which the sister would bring in a new, big suitcase to be bought by me.

She secured funding right in front of my nose for this separate purpose in a very clever accounting operation, where she saved me 6000 Baht by not insisiting on the Train - For - All option and therefore was in her right to spend the equivalent amount for another purpose of equally highly esteemed purpose, namely thai spices. :bow:

Wifey is aware from our travels that kids don't pay so she then looked at the option us going to the airport by our car, of Kids going with train and grown-ups going by car, with one care taker grown-up on the train.
The problem was however that she will not go without our son together with her, either on the train or in the car, and son will NOT go by train or car unless his auntie is going with same as him!

In the end we settled the issue with a utilitarian argument from my side that I could go allone with the SUV and return with all four of them plus a suitcase full of Thai spices, for the gazoline cost of 50 Norwegian Kroner, 250 Baht.

The decision process took somewhat like 2 weeks off and on discussing and there is a part of me which suspects that the whole logistics scenario was a pure set-up to confuse me and secure funding for spices. :?

Finally, wife conceded to this logistics arrangement provided I wash the car today prior to arrival.

I feel my wife have played this very well and the other part of me event think she did not plan this, it was most likely the thai lady intuitive and opportunistic instnsticts at play.

I got in a counterpoint though, by indicating that if I wash the car she could wash the two rooms our visitors will sleep in, they have both been vacant after my oldest son moved out, not having been cleaned, and god knows 5 years of beers, pizzas and data games has left something to clean.

As for our little son he has been counting days for the last 2 weeks and has been on the campaign trail with his aunt and us that the youngest cousin shall sleep with him ih his room!
As you can immagine, when we are in Thailand the kids all sleep togehter in one bedroom having a grand time.
As for Tonight we shall see how events unfold. I will try to report in every night :P
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

:laugh: :laugh:

looking forward to your reports.

:cheers: :cheers:
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

5 people only in your SUV...
FROM MY CAR.jpg
FAMILY RIDE.JPG
GOING TO SCHOOL.jpg
5 people only in your SUV...
Attachments
THE WINNERS.jpg
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

7 people in my SUV ........LOL as I say, this is NOT Thailand :wink:
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Yesterday night the thai family was finally in the house.

They arrived 25 minutes late (which by the way is not uncommon on a 11 hour flight with a bit of head wind), my wife and son were on the mobile as the family walked out into the arrivals area and could announce their presence on our soil in person, to great delight for the two family members at home. :D

After the "Hellos" and "How was the flight" the conversation soon turned to the temperature. They all had the good sense to travel with long pants and bringing jackets, but true to Thai style they all travelled with no socks and with light shoes only. :shock:

Anyone familiar with arctic climate know it is a sure way of never getting warm, not to take care with footware suitable for the climate and season.

In the car it came out that they had not really eaten much on the plane. Albeith I had preordered their food in consultation with my wife the food apparently had not been "Thai" enough. Chicken with noodles had been finished and pork with rice was not to their liking. They made no fuss at all over this but suggested to make their own food in our home prior to return departure and bring on the plane. :idea:

As the famous "Suitcase of Spices" was opened in our kitchen it turned out it also contained a douzen or so plastic boxes with pre made hawker style food of various kinds, enough to last us all for a week........ :dance:

It is an observation I have made often times that thais do not always travel well with regards to diet and food.
I make one exception to this, for reasons incomprehensible to me they enjoy MacDonalds! On nummerous outings in Thailand burgers, french fries and chicken nuggets have been consumed in vast quantities and I am being told it is a welcome visit also here.

However, one western delight immediately cought on, Wafels!

I don't really know if these are western in origin but we have made them evening, morning and afternoon now and I have been sent out shopping for more flour, milk and eggs. :thumb:

The visitors had been in our house for probably 5 minutes when smart phones and IPads were dug out and I had to present the network key and password for 4 people to log onto my router in the house for the Wireless.
I should not have been surperized, maybe it's my age showing. 2 minutes later the husband/father in Bangkok could follow us on his son's smart phone - as we were preparing chicken rice and settling in.

As we went to bed last night my wife had made an effort to plan sleeping arrangements and done bed lining accordingly.

This shifted around 3 times before everyone settled in some where with someone in mutual consent. Wifey's sister ended up with her son in the double bed, The two daughers ended up on the sofa bed in my son's room and I was probably lucky that I got to keep my wife in our bedroom. :P

To Be Continued........
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Really interesting, keep the reports coming. I have to admire your efforts to host a Thai family in the far north.
It is easy to spot what visitors dislike, be sure to let us know what impresses them