Insect killer/fly season

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Insect killer/fly season

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello, :)

my wife had been to Makro, and one of the devices she had bought
was an 'Insect Killer'. :roll:

I was rather skeptical as to its performance. :roll:

It measures 50 cm x 33 cm, and holds two light tubes,
and can therefore double as a (tv) lamp.

It is effective in daylight and in the dark. :D

More important whenever an insect makes contact and 'explodes'
it gives off a distinct shot-like sound which is greeted by our applauding
the demise of another unnerving stinger. :thumb:

Name: INSECT KILLER - HW-KO2
Maker: HW - HOME WORTH

Kind regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Insect Killer

Post by Lung Per »

I suppose it kills only those insects who make contact?. Any good for mosquitoes?
Sounds interesting. Is it one of those ultraviolet contraptions? How much was the damage?

:cheers:
A friend is only one click away
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Not being able to find the model referenced, I assume it's like this:

The light attracts the bugs, and the electric field zaps them. There are many types for outdoors and indoors. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

These have been around nearly all my life in the U.S. and are effective (as Pete says) only for insects that are attracted to light bulbs which mosquitoes are not as far as I know although that odd stupid one may fly into it by accident.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

...........................mosquitoes are not as far as I know although that odd stupid one may fly into it by accident.
They are Thai mosquitoes, no problem. :rasta:

The one I have is called a "Black Hole" and works for mosquitoes. Bought from Home Pro several years ago.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

hhfarang wrote:These have been around nearly all my life in the U.S. and are effective (as Pete says) only for insects that are attracted to light bulbs which mosquitoes are not as far as I know although that odd stupid one may fly into it by accident.
Mosquitoes are attracted to CO2 and human scents.
Insects and flies will be attracted to specific light wavelengths.
The fluorescent UV tube models work much better than cheaper units where a bulb is painted with a bluish lacquer.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think we may need to fart on the device to get everything in there. :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

:
prcscct wrote:I think we may need to fart on the device to get everything in there. :shock:
:lach: :lach: :agree:
A friend is only one click away
Gabe H Coud

Post by Gabe H Coud »

this thread is 6 years old now and was wondering if any updates?

I'm constantly bothered by flies when sitting on my patio reading or whatever, so assuming that fly spray is basically ineffective as it outdoors. Are these zappers still the way to go ?

Is June a bad time for flies?

Any other tips welcomed(apart from staying indoors!!)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gabe H Coud wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:45 am this thread is 6 years old now and was wondering if any updates?

I'm constantly bothered by flies when sitting on my patio reading or whatever, so assuming that fly spray is basically ineffective as it outdoors. Are these zappers still the way to go ?

Is June a bad time for flies?

Any other tips welcomed(apart from staying indoors!!)
I’ve noticed that flies have become a real nuisance lately, both the normal size ones as well as the tiny ones that hover in front of your face and try to get up your nose. I think a zapper is good for the small ones but you need to be very quick for the regular size ones.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

June is the worst month for flies, at least in areas close to the sea. Trying to eat at an outdoor restaurant this month and perhaps July is usually torture. I think this is the hatching month for a variety of fly species.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I have found the UV type rather ineffective for anything, likewise the Black Hole (which I have retired for good). I have a solar powered mossie zapper from Amata Solar that gets the occasional mossie, but is not really suited to be in the rain as the zapper grilles rust, and needs to be cleaned often to remain effective. But I am very happy with their solar powered outside lights, 2,500 baht each but they do remain on till the next morning.
I have found that for flies, there are these clear plastic dome type traps that are extremely effective provided you use the correct type of attractant, the only downside being that you have to wait for the flies to die of dehydration before you can empty the traps. But at around 100 baht or so a trap it is effective.
The other trap I found good for flies is a slow rotating electric one - this also channels the flies into a seperate chamber but is dependent on the attractant and needs to be powered on all the time.
The last time I used durian flesh scraped off the seeds as an attractant and that worked well.
You can make your own but I found this not very effective.
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

20200623_094950.jpg
(238.54 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
20200623_094938.jpg
(183.29 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

These things are superb, I have only found them at mom and pop shops - a couple of baht each and as you can see, they do the job!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Insect killer/fly season

Post by Gregjam »

Did the Jingjok get stuck too?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Insect killer/fly season

Post by migrant »

Gregjam wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:07 am Did the Jingjok get stuck too?
I've had them stuck on the paper. Pour some oil over them and soon they escape
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.