How dangerous are centipedes? How to keep them away?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

How dangerous are centipedes? How to keep them away?

Post by Ralfredo »

Hi all!

When we visit Hua Hin we often have quite a few centipedes in the garden, around the pool, on the terrace and sometimes even in the house. They are not big ones, usually between one and two inches and maybe around a quarter of an inch in diameter. They are red/orange/brownish and for me they looks really scary.

How afraid should we be? If I understand correctly, the bite hurts like hell for several days but with no persistent damage. Is that correct? The one we have are, if I'm right, rather small ones. Do that make them less dangerous?

Do you have some suggestions how to keep them away? Usually we rent a house so I don't feel that some professional pest control company is the way to go. In, for example, Tesco they have very many different brands of what seems to be spray against different kind of bugs. All text on the cans are in Thai so it's hard to know what to choose. Do anyone have any recommendation of a suitable "poison" and the best way to use it?

Every input or comment on the subject are much appreciated!

Attaching a image of one that looks similar to "ours".
centipede-Scolopendra-9.jpg
centipede-Scolopendra-9.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: How dangerous are centipedes? How to keep them away?

Post by VincentD »

Go to your local hardware store and get a spray can (or three) of 'Shelldrite'. (Brand name) Think it is also called 'Chaindrite'. It is used for termite control, and works just as well for centipedes. This is a crack and crevice spray so will come with a long nozzle. Spray every crack and crevice you see in and around the house, and that should keep things under control.
วินเชนท์
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Bookazine closing down sale last day

Post by Takiap »

As with practically any living creature that is foolish enough to visit our property, centipedes are dealt with swiftly by our special lethal task force (Thai chickens)

To be honest, I'm more concerned about centipedes than I am about snakes, and as you say, the bite can be exceedingly painful, and may also result in a short hospital stay.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Do they also read books ?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

These are Thai centipedes, so probably comics...
This is the way
Somchai Turdsak

Post by Somchai Turdsak »

Which end is the head; more specifically, where is the stinger?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Somchai Turdsak wrote:Which end is the head; more specifically, where is the stinger?
The poison comes from their bite.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"They are not big ones, usually between one and two inches and maybe around a quarter of an inch in diameter."

That suggests to me that what you're seeing are youngsters and there are nests around somewhere. Get the Chaindrite as Vincent suggests. Good luck. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

VincentD wrote:Go to your local hardware store and get a spray can (or three) of 'Shelldrite'. (Brand name) Think it is also called 'Chaindrite'.
Thanks! I will try that.
Takiap wrote:centipedes are dealt with swiftly by our special lethal task force (Thai chickens)
Ha, Ha! Maybe I can rent some from you the next time I visit? :D
prcscct wrote:That suggests to me that what you're seeing are youngsters and there are nests around somewhere.
Ooops, I hope I never have to meet their parents. :(

Anyway, this is not a big problem but still scares me somewhat. In the garden (on the grass) we where shoes so I guess we are safe there. It's mostly around the pool and on the terrace I see this as a problem. Usually we are not wearing shoes there, and I spot and kill a few every week in this area. I don't know if this is considered many or if it is to be considered normal. What do you guys think?

We take normal "safety measures" like checking or shoes before putting them on and so far we haven't really come close to being bitten. At least as far as we know... Especially in the evening/night with little light, they can be really hard to spot since their color are very close to the color of the floor.

Do you also have a "problem" with centipedes, have you gotten rid of them with chemicals or do you just accept them as normal creatures in Thailand?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ralfredo wrote:
VincentD wrote:Go to your local hardware store and get a spray can (or three) of 'Shelldrite'. (Brand name) Think it is also called 'Chaindrite'.
Thanks! I will try that.
Takiap wrote:centipedes are dealt with swiftly by our special lethal task force (Thai chickens)
Ha, Ha! Maybe I can rent some from you the next time I visit? :D
prcscct wrote:That suggests to me that what you're seeing are youngsters and there are nests around somewhere.
Ooops, I hope I never have to meet their parents. :(

Anyway, this is not a big problem but still scares me somewhat. In the garden (on the grass) we where shoes so I guess we are safe there. It's mostly around the pool and on the terrace I see this as a problem. Usually we are not wearing shoes there, and I spot and kill a few every week in this area. I don't know if this is considered many or if it is to be considered normal. What do you guys think?

We take normal "safety measures" like checking or shoes before putting them on and so far we haven't really come close to being bitten. At least as far as we know... Especially in the evening/night with little light, they can be really hard to spot since their color are very close to the color of the floor.

Do you also have a "problem" with centipedes, have you gotten rid of them with chemicals or do you just accept them as normal creatures in Thailand?
I think it's difficult to prevent them completely, so it's a case of spot treatment when you find one - either a chemical or a heavy object if you're not too squeamish.............assuming of course you don't have a band of chickens to call upon!!
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Dannie Boy wrote:I think it's difficult to prevent them completely, so it's a case of spot treatment when you find one - either a chemical or a heavy object if you're not too squeamish.............
No problem with that. So far an ordinary shoe has been used to swiftly take care of the problem... My concern are if I don't see them and happen to place my bare foot on top of one. I guess my foot will loose that duel.
Dannie Boy wrote:assuming of course you don't have a band of chickens to call upon!!
Well maybe I can rent a swat team (soldiers of fortune, I guess) from Takiap. :P BTW, is it safe for chickens to dine on these bastards? Cant they be bitten?

Thanks to all that's responded so far!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You need to Google "Thai centipede". Many horror stories, video and photos of what yours can grow into. You can also find them in bottles of Thai whiskey. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

prcscct wrote:You need to Google "Thai centipede". Many horror stories, video
Thanks for the videos, I think... :wink: Now I feel sooo much better, or not... Any idea why the guys in the second video don't get bitten. Are they so "friendly" or have someone "fixed" that particular centipede?

BTW, if I show these videos to my wife, my days in Thailand are over...