Tick Fever

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Tick Fever

Post by PeteC »

Caused by the brown tick, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrlichiosis_%28canine%29 for full explanation, and many other references on Google.

Unfortunately one of our retrievers has come down with the acute stage and will be on many types of medication for at least the next month. Our Vet says that everywhere in Thailand has been suffering an epidemic of ticks and tick fever for the past year and it's predicted to continue. There is no vaccine, only things like Frontline for the pet, and yard spraying on a regular basis.

It comes on very quickly. One evening he was his normal self and a walking eating machine....the next morning he didn't even look at food, couldn't stand and was running a very high fever. A scary part of it is that they bleed internally when they bump into something or play too roughly. Never externally, but you can see the swelling under the skin where the blood is settling and gelling. A lot of TLC is needed along with a very calm and quiet sanctuary for them while they're in the acute stage. I really hope things work and he doesn't get to the chronic stage as we may lose him if that happens.

As mentioned above, get your yard sprayed by a professional....grass, shrubs, hedges, tree trunks, everything. Forget being green for awhile as pesticide is the only way you're going to get rid of them. Plenty of it every few months. You can also get the human version if a tick bites you or your kids directly.

As a side note, there were signs from nature here that I simply didn't recognize. For the past year we have been inundated with white egrets. Beautiful birds and everyone was pleased they were here. They were in people's yards and all over the golf course daily. Usually we only saw them near some cattle being grazed on a section of land near the golf course.......because they eat ticks directly off the cattle. The vet confirmed that the reason they're here in such quantities is because ticks are everywhere and the birds are feasting!

So, be warned if you have dogs and a yard where they run. :( Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Concerning yard spraying. The normal concoction they use for ants and termites is not strong enough to kill these ticks. Tell the pest company you want spray for ticks as they need to put an additive into the mix.

EDIT #2: Forgot to mention to be sure to bathe and brush your dogs regularly. Use a professional flea and tick shampoo. Spend time to look for ticks on them everyday. If you're seeing a lot it's good to take them in for a blood test. It costs about 700 Baht, results in a few minutes, and then you're sure if they're infected or not. A problem is, they could be negative today and infected the next time out in the yard. That's where Frontline or similar comes into the scheme of things.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Tick Fever

Post by Takiap »

Hi Pete

While I've never experienced this problem in Thailand, I did have to deal with it several times in South Africa. I would take my dogs hiking and etc, and on a number of occasions they got tick bite fever. Like you say, they look fine one minute, and the next minute they can hardly even stand on their feet. I'm not sure if the medication is different in South Africa compared to Thailand, but I never had to give them any anything other than the injection they got from the vet.

How quickly they recovered has always amazed me. Within a few hours you could already notice a huge improvement, and by the next day they were completely back to normal.

My sister on the other hand took ages to recover, but then again, she did take her time in seeking medical treatment. I myself have been bitten hundreds of times but have never come down with the fever.

Our place here in Hua-Hin was literally infested with ticks. There were honestly tens of thousands of them, and no, I am not exaggerating. On very hot days, you could see thousands, and I mean "thousands" crawling up the walls outside. We tried everything to get rid of them, but even our best efforts didn't even make a dent.

Then......(rolling of the drums), along came our chickens. Today, I will gladly offer our home as a prize to the person who can find a single tick on the premises. We've not seen one now for about three years. :thumb: It's not an ideal solution for everyone, but if you can, just get a few chickens, even if they are the small bantam variety. You don't have to get regular Thai chickens since they all do the same job when it comes to things that dare move on their turf. Guinea fowl are apparently even better for eradicating ticks, and they are also far less destructive than chickens.

Anyway, at least now I can say our property is certified as tick free. :laugh: In fact, there's no other sign of life either. :shock:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks Takiap. Yes, ours got the injection, but he also needs at least a month of oral antibiotics, vitamins to support his liver, and fever medicine when that flares up. He's gotten a bad dose apparently. Yes, he was fine a few hours after the shot, but his insides are not it seems. Only another blood test in a month will show if the disease is gone. If it isn't gone after a few months of meds they go into the sub-clinical phase and may live with it for the rest of their lives (see the Wiki article), but that's also when the chance of coming down with the chronic phase is a risk.

The chickens seem like a good idea to me. We'll see what the wife says. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:Thanks Takiap. Yes, ours got the injection, but he also needs at least a month of oral antibiotics, vitamins to support his liver, and fever medicine when that flares up. He's gotten a bad dose apparently. Yes, he was fine a few hours after the shot, but his insides are not it seems. Only another blood test in a month will show if the disease is gone. If it isn't gone after a few months of meds they go into the sub-clinical phase and may live with it for the rest of their lives (see the Wiki article), but that's also when the chance of coming down with the chronic phase is a risk.

The chickens seem like a good idea to me. We'll see what the wife says. :D Pete :cheers:
Plus the bonus of your own fresh laid eggs - I have 4 chickens and for a family of 3 that's just about perfect for our needs based on approx 25 eggs a week, as occasionally one or more of them will miss a day.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I'm afraid the dogs may have a meal of them....or they'll be lounging by the pool all day instead of doing their job! :shock: :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Reading the symptoms as you describe them Pete, I'm sure that's what our Rotweiller has been suffering from. We took her to the Vetinary Teaching Hospital, where they got her sorted (tablets for a month etc followed by miraculous recovery in 2 days). Unfortunately, they didn't speak a word of English, so I'm not sure of the diagnosis.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of it for us. As Pete said, she couldn't walk, so I tried to lift her - hand under her neck and hand under her stomach. I took the strain, and she let out an almighty squeal - sick or not, when a Rotweiller squeals like that, you put her down quickly. Tried again - same thing. Fortunately, the pain got her to her feet, and I could walk her to the car. During the vet's examination (there were 4 of them), I told my wife to mention the squeal. Manual examination revealed a lump, which was confirmed by ultra-sound. They are 80% sure it's cancer, but we have to take her back on the 11th for them to have another look. I took a little bit of comfort from Pete's statement, "A scary part of it is that they bleed internally when they bump into something or play too roughly. Never externally, but you can see the swelling under the skin where the blood is settling and gelling." I'm probably clutching at straws, but hey ho :cry:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

according to the blood test on one of our cats a couple of months ago, the cat has also had/still got it. medicine, antibiotics, anti inflammatories etc.

Big weight loss. He is eating well now, but not as lively as before, and very keen to be in the house.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

fft100 wrote:very keen to be in the house.
Funny that, but so has our rotweiller. I've been putting it down to my incapacity to move very far since my own illness, and thought she was coming in to see me. Maybe she's not as dedicated as I thought. :D

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I hope it works out well BB. Look up a chart of a dog's internal anatomy and find the liver...the kidneys are wedged in there behind it but not noted on some charts. That's the area where ours has the blood mass evident on his upper side, rear. The kidneys are what seem to be sensitive to impact and ooze blood during this disease, and kidney failure is what ultimately kills them if the disease goes chronic and can't be controlled. Good luck tomorrow...needless to say get a second opinion if the first one is not good. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This one is for Takiap and Dannie in case your chickens need a little motivational entertainment. :laugh: Pete :cheers:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Back to the vet today, and (I think) I got confirmation that it was tick fever.

Regarding the cancer scare, they couldn't find the lump that was causing so much pain on Saturday. However, we have to take her back again on the 25th to let them have another look, and do further blood tests.

A completely different reaction from our dog today as opposed to last Saturday when she was half dead. Today she wanted to fight with every other dog at the vets. Reassuring that she was back to her old self, but this was actually the first time we'd seen this side of her - yes, she dislikes certain other dogs, but she was quite scary today. It was hurting my arm restraining her.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Is she on meds, especially antibiotics? I assume she is given the 2 weeks until the next visit and the blood tests at that time. A bit soon as no blood tests for ours until a month on meds has past. But....if she's negative for the tick antibodies in two weeks, all the better. I'm starting to think that lump was actually a blood mass. Let's hope so. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Sounds promising BB...I wish you and the hound well. I know only too well the worry one feels when our pooches are under the weather. Had my Pug castrated the other week and when the pain killing injection wore off he whimpered all night from 1am...Heartbreaking stuff. Remind me not to go to the vets when yours is around....I think young Oscar would be a delicious starter :laugh: :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:^ Is she on meds, especially antibiotics? I assume she is given the 2 weeks until the next visit and the blood tests at that time. A bit soon as no blood tests for ours until a month on meds has past. But....if she's negative for the tick antibodies in two weeks, all the better. I'm starting to think that lump was actually a blood mass. Let's hope so. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Yes she's on anti-biotics and another tab. I have to rely on them knowing what they are doing. It's a fancy teaching hospital (nicer than many NHS places I've known), so I hope they've got it right.

Points 48; Position 20