Reverse Osmosis

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Reverse Osmosis

Post by PeteC »

We've touched on this before in that the process removes minerals from drinking water. I saw a show this past week which highlighted reverse osmosis systems used for making seawater drinkable, and converting sewage water into drinkable water. The systems were huge and the filters removed things down to 1/1 trillionth in size :shock: There was also a clear statement made that municipalities using these systems must re-introduce minerals to the water. If they didn't the water would actually start to leach minerals out of the human body when consumed. Double :shock: :shock:

To my knowledge every bottle and jug of drinking water we get here is purified by a reverse osmosis system, and in some cases by ultra violet light as well. The exception may be the clearly labeled mineral water, which I assume if not from a spring is a product of reverse osmosis as well, but minerals are re-introduced.

Does anyone know the degree of reverse osmosis used for regular drinking water, and the amount of minerals that remain...on average?

There is no place to research this on-line that I know of that is specific to Thailand and the water we drink here. Perhaps someone out there works in the water industry here and has experience? Thanks. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Reverse Osmosis

Post by Nereus »

Pete, I doubt that there are many reverse osmosis systems operating in Thailand. The method requires a high energy input, mostly from the equipment used to obtain the high water pressure required. The bottled water available here is treated via many stages of filtration, the UV light filter is used to kill bacteria. The membranes used in the RS process are very expensive and prone to damage, and also require regular maintenance---a process that does not exist here! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well then we have fraud. The blue bottled water we get from a company in Rayong states on each jug, "Treated by reverse osmosis and ultraviolet ozonation" I don't think "ozonation" is a real word, but they use it anyway. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Pete

I spent the first 21 years of my working career in the water / waste treatment business. The Company that I did my apprenticeship with, actually developed R.O.
I later worked on Ozone generating equipment from a German Manufacturer.

I've since forgotten most of it............

But for sure both R.O. and Ozonisation processes require high pressure pumping and high electrical power consumption respectively. Both being matters of simple mechanics or laws of physics.

I've also seen the labeling that you refer to and doubt it's authenticity................. :roll:
cozza
Professional
Professional

Post by cozza »

Umm...I have a reverse osmosis with remineralisation cartridge attached under my sink which comes from the USA here in Australia. No power or high pressure required, its just cartridges that filter the water and even I can change the cartridges...which need changing every year. It attaches to the tap under the sink that would normally feed the kitchen sinks, thats all, I installed it myself...easy to set up.
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

prcscct wrote: There was also a clear statement made that municipalities using these systems must re-introduce minerals to the water. If they didn't the water would actually start to leach minerals out of the human body when consumed.
Pete,
Now that suggestion seems a little odd to me because of the fact that so many millions of folk rely on just rainwater for drinking purposes, in fact some of the world's most expensive bottled water is just rainwater.
Expect that if one was to try and survive on water only that may have to be the case, but in a fairly sensible diet you should be receiving an adequate supply of minerals to cope with water without added minerals.
Personally I am a sceptic about filtered waters.The process requires thorough vigilance and proper maintenance to get good results.( checked out your local supplier's plant recently??). If the process fails the end result could be serious as all the nasties collected and saved in the filters "unload" and you could end up with a super concentrated batch of toxic water.
It puzzles me why so many people do not collect some rainwater where the conditions are suitable.
Complexity is so simply overrated
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

I created this website and have used many of their products, RO systems are available in all shapes and sizes with varying levels of filtration.

Domestic ones here:

http://www.emwc.uk.com/products2.asp?Ca ... egoryID=17
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

So, with these small home systems available the water supplier may be telling the truth, but I doubt the water is getting the proper filtering if he's using a small osmosis system for commercial purposes. Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It is simply not possible to compare a commercial RO system with something that fits under the sink, and is just designed to fill a couple of bottles of water a day. It is even stretching the truth a bit to call an under sink unit that uses several filters, an "RO system". There are ceramic type filters that are claimed to stop bacteria, but by definition "reverse osmosis" requires supply water pressure to operate, and the more effective the membrane is, the more primary pressure that is required. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

:agree:

I would describe an 'under the sink unit' as maybe an upmarket filter.

It certainly is not true R.O.
Pedro C
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pedro C »

Oh dear. And last year the old matron of the SP hospital wanted to check me for a case of reverse osmosis.
I'm glad I refused.
Life is short. Especially for those of us who have most of our future behind us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A new recommendation. I have a pretty good tongue for quality drinking water. I've come across one named "Sprinkle", and to my knowledge it is only sold in the 6000ml jugs, and only by 7-11. You can tell the difference immediately as compared to any other name 6000ml jugs, or the various 18 liter big jugs. Fresh, clean and a very good natural taste IMO. Pete :cheers:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

prcscct wrote:A new recommendation. I have a pretty good tongue for quality drinking water. I've come across one named "Sprinkle", and to my knowledge it is only sold in the 6000ml jugs, and only by 7-11. You can tell the difference immediately as compared to any other name 6000ml jugs, or the various 18 liter big jugs. Fresh, clean and a very good natural taste IMO. Pete :cheers:
Sprinkle are very good. We use them in BKK. Their bottles are always clean and in good condition. I am very pleased to hear that they are now in HH. In BKK they mostly have a home delivery service but you can be lucky to find them at some of the independent convenience stores
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I'm in Rayong, Br. But if they're in my small village, for sure they must be in HH also. Pete :cheers:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

prcscct wrote:^ I'm in Rayong, Br. But if they're in my small village, for sure they must be in HH also. Pete :cheers:
I checked with Sprinkle in BKK yesterday and they do not supply bottled water to Pattaya, Rayong or HH.

Sprinkle currently has eight distribution centres to deliver bottled water to five different areas, namely Donmuang, Pathumthani, Thonburi, Rama 3 Road and Sukhumvit 103 Road. They basically cover all zones of Bangkok and suburbs. They said that they have no plans to distribute more widley.

Not sure how you managed to find it in Rayong?
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain