Any Dog Whisperers Out There?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Any Dog Whisperers Out There?

Post by MrPlum »

The family pet receives lots of love in our home but recently we've had to leave it alone for 3 hour periods. Our return causes lots of licking and crying but last night for the first time the dog chewed at the front door. This is a sign her 'separation anxiety' is becoming more serious.

We've decided to keep someone with her at all times for now, so she doesn't fret any further but need a technique that will enable us to leave her alone. Some recommendations say to not make a fuss on leaving or returning and act like it is no big deal. This we can do.

Also we should start training her to accept us going out, by starting with very short periods, then building up gradually. As little as 10 seconds in the beginning. This we will also try.

Just wondering whether anyone knows another way, that isn't going to take 3 months, with an uncertain outcome?
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Re: Any Dog Whisperers Out There?

Post by SunandFun »

I am assuming that she chewed at the front door while you were away? You may want to create a room or space for her. (Inside or outside) This could be made "dog friendly" and you could start by leaving her in this room/space while you are there, then slowly have her adjust to you being gone. This "alone time" could help bridge the gap and make her anxiety go away. By next suggestion is little more bold...get her a play mate. :-)) I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress. There are many of us dog lovers out there. We have 3 Toy Pomeranians we keep in India. But they have a personal maid servant to look after them.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Thank you for the tip.

I think there is another element involved. This breed 'Ban Gow' is known for being good for security and very loyal and protective towards the owners. For instance, when someone new comes in the house she will track them wherever they go to ensure they don't touch anything. If they do, a small growl, sends a message. No-one is in danger (so far), we are used to it and by the 2nd or 3rd visit she stops shepherding.

She is calm, when we are around and alone at home. But if she perceives any threats, she is on high alert. You might say this is normal for a dog but she does react when other dogs don't. So I think the separation anxiety may have an element of strong feelings about security. When out, she cannot protect the girls, who she is absolutely devoted to.

I see two challenges. Not only do I need to condition her to accept separation but I also need her to understand that, as the Alpha male, I take charge of security and she can stand down.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ban Gow doesn't have a good rep in our area. The wife and many others talk about the danger with them. We had two in the neighborhood which appear to be gone now, but one killed another dog many houses away after getting out one night, and the other attacked a development garden worker on the street and did serious damage to her face. I've been told by many that this breed is unpredictable and does seem to like going for the face and neck.

Not trying to scare anyone and I know Mr. P not really applicable to your thread, but I feel it's useful info. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

MrPlum

I think that your dog is just living up to it's breed characteristics

Courtesy of Wikipedia
index.jpg
index.jpg (6.73 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Bangkaew - (If indeed this is your dog)
Origin: Thailand
Higher classification: Dog
Temperament: Active, Intelligent, Agile, Devoted, Protective, Watchful
Height: Male: 18–22 inches (46–56 cm), Female: 16–20 inches (41–51 cm)
Colors: Black & White, Brown & White, Red & White, White & Tan, Gray & White
Weight: Male: 18.1–20.4 kg, Female: 15.9–18.1 kg
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

prcscct wrote:I've been told by many that this breed is unpredictable and does seem to like going for the face and neck.

Not trying to scare anyone and I know Mr. P not really applicable to your thread, but I feel it's useful info. Pete
Yes it is. I hadn't really looked at the characteristics of this breed, so thanks to you and Terry for shedding some light. It obviously affects how I proceed.

I often complain the girls have spoiled any protective instincts out of her. I'll give you an example. She does go for the neck, mostly when we return to the house. She will clamp her jaws. Not in a violent fashion but in a loving one. I've never seen it before in a dog and it still amuses me. If she bites at all, it is usually a small nip, rather than anything fiercer. I've never seen her fight and she will often rush out to try and act as peacemaker if other dogs are squaring up. If attacked she will lie down and roll over. Once being badly mauled by a pack.

Thais are sometimes a little wary when she approaches but she's such a pretty dog and walks to heel that they all end up wanting to buy her. The males that came from her litter are also magnificent but you can see they are more powerful and I am certainly wary of them.

Maybe I should just paint some Chilli paste on the door.

:cheers:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

How old is she Mr P? I seem to remember reading that this breed takes at least two years to mature, so the chewing could perhaps be somewhat age related. I had a doberman years ago that would literally destroy the place whenever she was left alone, but as she grew older, the damage became less, and then stopped altogether. To this day, I still see her as being the best dog I've ever owned.

The dog you have, as Pete has mentioned, does not have a very good reputation at all. Practically every Thai I've spoken to has told me they are bad dogs because they like to bite people and children. In fact, it's the only breed of dog my wife doesn't want me to have. She says she knows they are good with kids, but that they are not good with strangers, and that includes strange kids. They are also known to be very aggressive towards other dogs, including any dogs in the same household. I've also read that they're very stubborn, and as a result, difficult to train, so you may be up for a challenge....lol.

I guess any dog can surprise us though, so you may have no problems at all. Talking of surprises.....I've recently started taking my rottweiler to the beach again after a break of many years, and she has well and truly surprised me. I have never seen even the slightest hint of aggressive behavior before, and yet when I take her to the beach with the kids, she won't allow any strangers to get close to the kids. She knows better than to try and bite, but she warns them off in no uncertain terms. This really surprised me because complete strangers can come onto our property and she couldn't care less. :shock:

Anyway, good luck with your efforts.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

She's 3. I taught her very early to walk to 'heel', to 'come' and to 'stay' and 9x out of 10 she will comply. She also understands 'No' and doesn't try and snaffle any stall-holder's sausages when I take her to the market.

I wasn't properly aware of the potential problems with this breed when we bought her. But if I were to ever suggest getting rid of her, today, I know whose throat would be ripped out. :wink: This is one well-loved dog.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Sure you can find episodes of the real Dog Whisperer and see what he does! Good luck with your pooch :)
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

JW wrote:Sure you can find episodes of the real Dog Whisperer and see what he does! Good luck with your pooch :)
Spot on JW

Here's a clip dealing with exactly this problem... http://www.cesarsway.com/newsandevents/ ... ety-Part-1

If you watch it, he had the dog featured, on the bed and staying still within only a few minutes. At least that's how it appeared.

Great suggestion to drain the dog of energy before you start the training. :idea: