Where to take a troublesome soi dog?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
abigail
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Where to take a troublesome soi dog?

Post by abigail »

Hua hin dog shelter may help but they need support. If you are thinking of leaving your dog at a temple Please Dont. Many dogs are beaten and worse, if you can offer money to keep your dog at the shelter and other supplys I am sure they will help
apinansukpeng
Amateur
Amateur

Post by apinansukpeng »

If everyone gave a dog a home and cut down on their daily expenses with booze and cigerettes to feed them then the world would
be a better place for them to live. They would all have a home and someone that loves them. When I brought Dur into my home two months ago, he was the best thing that ever happend to us.

Just an opinion.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Sorry to sound negative but the bad dogs way out-number the good ones here and despite there being some decent owners, such as those that have replied on this thread, there are a gazillion Thais that are irresponsible dog owners that basically imprison dogs within a tiny house yard for lengthy periods of time which turns them into monsters in the cause of 'security' or social standing as many believe that dog ownership makes them project a higher degree of 'face' or status.....but it's the dogs that catch the 'shit-end-of-the-stick' in the pursuit of their owners' vanity.

As for the ones that roam the streets in the capacity of what you would call a 'soi dog', then they are nothing more that a public health issue and should be dealt with accordingly as the silent victims are often the under 12-year-old children that are attacked and disfigured (there are two kids that live near my house that have been attacked and left with facial scars).

I like 'real' dogs (and was accustomed to having them around when young) but since I moved to Thailand 11-12 years ago I have steadily slid down the route of only holding contempt for most of the mutts I see everywhere as they are not what I describe as a dog and really only belong in the depths of a Steven King book instead.

It is a problem that stains the culture and needs to be addressed....but they won't as it's a murky 'can-of-worms' when you open it up here and there certainly isn't the political or social will tackle it in the manner it needs to be so.

However, having said all that (which is just a personal opinion) I'm glad to see people trying to logically and responsibly sort out the problem in their area despite some viewers thinking it perhaps a futile exercise....good on you. :|
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

If everyone gave a dog a home and cut down on their daily expenses with booze and cigerettes to feed them then the world would
be a better place for them to live. They would all have a home and someone that loves them. When I brought Dur into my home two months ago, he was the best thing that ever happend to us.
Blimey, you sound like a beauty queen on 'Miss World' giving her acceptance speech after winning a prize apinansukpeng along with how much you like nature, children, dolphins and world peace.

Just an opinion. :mrgreen:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lung Per wrote:There should be no, repeat NO, dogs in the sois without a leash..
Dogs should only be let loose in assigned areas or in their fenced yards.
As far as I am concerned, stray dogs represent a potential danger and are consequently fair game. Period.
:guns:
An expat's 'shoulds' are irrelevant. Thai law (in practice, not in fact), culture and custom are the only 'shoulds' that matter. That said I think life would be better for both people and soi dogs if the dogs were systematically eliminated. Can't see that happening except to control a rabies epidemic.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Spitfire wrote:a public health issue and should be dealt with accordingly as the silent victims are often the under 12-year-old children that are attacked and disfigured |

I agree with you 100%. I'd hate to know just how many people are injured and/or killed in Thailand each year as a result of dogs. It's not only kids and elderly folk being bitten, it's people coming off their motorbikes as well. It's happened to me, and it's happened to my wife. Fortunately we both only ended up with some grazes and damaged bikes.

So if I cut down on my cigarettes and booze, I'll use the money I save to repair bike damage and to pay for first aid. :twisted:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote:it's people coming off their motorbikes as well. It's happened to me, and it's happened to my wife.
I must admit, I was confined to quarters with a foot injury for just over a week recently. During that period of convalescence my biggest source of amusement was sitting on my porch, watching the dogs (not ours, I hasten to add) chasing motorbikes up and down the street. They go at it with a lot of enthusiasm, and are rarely put off.

No humans or animals were hurt during that period. I think it's a bit like driving on ice - you take extra care. A very dangerous past time though :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
abigail
Rookie
Rookie

Post by abigail »

stop being daft take that little one on