Termites- eating wood

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Re: Termites- eating wood

Post by Frank Hovis »

I'm sure WD-40 won't make it happy but maybe some real anti-ant type spray with pesticides would be a better bet.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Be careful bringing home cheap handicrafts home. Anything made of wood could be contaminated and hold either termites or larvae. So stay away from these types of gifts.

I was touring the new Condos a few years back at Black Mountain. We were looking at a three bedroom and inside the cabinets we found piles of saw dust. Clearly a sign of termites. And this was on the fourth floor. This was several years back. I don't know if they solved the problem.

Termites love to eat manufactured wood. You will find that laminated kitchen and bathroom cabinets are prone to this. Where ever the screw holes are, the termites enter. I have heard stories about new cabinets literally fall off the wall after a year due to termites.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

SunandFun wrote:Be careful bringing home cheap handicrafts home. Anything made of wood could be contaminated and hold either termites or larvae. So stay away from these types of gifts.

I was touring the new Condos a few years back at Black Mountain. We were looking at a three bedroom and inside the cabinets we found piles of saw dust. Clearly a sign of termites. And this was on the fourth floor. This was several years back. I don't know if they solved the problem.

Termites love to eat manufactured wood. You will find that laminated kitchen and bathroom cabinets are prone to this. Where ever the screw holes are, the termites enter. I have heard stories about new cabinets literally fall off the wall after a year due to termites.
Do you have any good news?? :run:
I'm on the 6th floor so they're obviously not scared of heights.... :wink:
:D
GN.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

You are spot on sun/f. Our kitchen was badly damaged as a result of infiltration from a neighbours riddled tree. Many other units in the complex have also suffered. The preferred food does appear to be the glued laminated woods (engineered woods) and the cheaper materials used in roof joists.
Despite the repeated treatments they come back on a regular basis even though their HQ next door was removed.
You can actually hear them gnawing away!
My sister in laws place in Bangas has been demolished and rebuilt on account of mot si kao!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Frank Hovis wrote:That looks more like a beetle larvae munching on your wood than termites, or possibly a wood boring wasp, who will leave a larvae in the hole.
Yes, I would agree with that. Termites do not like the light, and tend to leave a thin layer of whetever it is they are munching on to cover their tracks. That is why they get away with destroying stuff, because they cannot be seen until it is too late.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Get some of this and spray into the holes each day for a couple days. This is a strong and good product and should wipe out what you have, unless the entire place is badly infested in which case you'll need to call in the pros. Pete :cheers:
php0gkTimAM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Thanks for the replies guys....
I had a pest control company visit today and they confirmed it was a minor beetle infestation and really nothing to concern over... Quite common in fact.
They syringed some vicious looking chemicals into the small bore hole. Hopefully that does the trick.
:cheers:
GN.
boilerman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by boilerman »

whatever it is looks like it has a deal with black and decker lol
Aint19
Novice
Novice

Post by Aint19 »

Hello...

Thank you guys for sharing the above information about termites.., and also I have a question:
How quick do underground termites eat wood..?
Please answer me..
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

quote from Aint19

"Thank you guys for sharing the above information about termites.., and also I have a question:
How quick do underground termites eat wood..?
Please answer me.."

Kinda like asking how long is a piece of string Aint19.
So many variables such as the species of termite, how many of the critters are involved in an attack, the type of wood they are after,condition of the wood , moisture content etc etc.

I have witnessed an awesome attack on a house where they had gone from being barely noticed outside to being up in ceiling in the space of just 2 weeks attacking from multiple fronts.
Fortunately it was an intended feature in the building's design and construction to force them to expose their activity which saved the day

I am told the termite nest queen will receive samples brought back to the nest by the exploring ants and they have body codes to point out stuff to her like direction from the nest ,quantities of food and she will asses all this then direct them where they should be heading off for the next attack.
Complexity is so simply overrated
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I am told the termite nest queen will receive samples brought back to the nest by the exploring ants and they have body codes to point out stuff to her like direction from the nest ,quantities of food and she will asses all this then direct them where they should be heading off for the next attack.
The more modern ones now use either email or Facebook. Most also have smart phones.
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Might be getting your queens mixed up a bit there Nereus ????
Complexity is so simply overrated
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's not just wood. I've heard of termites destroying cement/concrete foundations.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

deepee wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:38 am Might be getting your queens mixed up a bit there Nereus ????
A rediculous question deserves a rediculous answer!