anyone got a parrot out there???

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

anyone got a parrot out there???

Post by bozzman101 »

took a trip to the crossing at dansinkhlong ( sounds like danceing corn to me the pronuncation) had a look at the market its bat rough!!! but big orchids for sale and birds the feathered type bought 2 parrots for very little bath cheap cheap never haveing a feathered bird before the 2 of em where put in a cardboard box with holes in the side on the journey back to hh one pecked its way throught the box! Stopped at kui buri bought a wodden cage this lasted 2 hours befor one of em chewed throught the wodden bars!!!!!!!!!!!! ran around hh looking for a good cage found a shop on the clong now there in colditz!!!!!!!!!!! and cant get out net question any one elce got nok gaeo kek!!!! their form burma not thai parrots!!!!! :cheers:
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Re: anyone got a parrot out there???

Post by ste860 »

what type are they and what sort of prices ,i used to have african greys in the uk
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

That was funny bozzman... you could see the stress building as you told the story and the parrots kept getting through the cages... I imagined you typing madly on your laptop as the parrots were yet gnawing through the latest cage while you tried to get them home! Good stuff! :lach:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

When I was based down in Cornwall with the navy, there was an old smugglers pub on the coast that we used to frequent that had a battered old parrot on a perch in the bar.
Drunken sailors used to delight in spending their evenings teaching it foul mouthed abuse so that when tourists came in during the day, their poor children and elderly aunts used to get told to do unmentionable things!
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I can't read it. :|
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think they like perches rather than cages. If it all becomes too much, just turn them loose. Best to check the regs here also. Some species in Thailand are considered endangered that aren't elsewhere. You could have illegal entry birds. :shock: :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Just watched the Hitchcok movie "The Birds" in Phuket, beware Bozzman it sounds ominous.......
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

thanks for the advice ..........lol cost a hundred bath each didnt break the bank
the guy in the pet shop on the klong called them nok gaeo kek burmese parrots
have a band across the eyes and collar light green colour cant curse in thai yet!!!
alos in market a big black bird with gold markings around its neck 900 b
little green birds red beak 100b each thats all i saw the other day
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

You could have illegal entry birds
Sounds fantastic... 8)
www.35mmview.com
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Have you got room outside to build a big cage for them? (rather than a small thing that will distress them)
I'm not in HH at the moment, but a mate got the local guy with a welder to make him a nice walk-in cage
about 8 foot square with perches & nest box. Now his parrots roam his yard & garden knowing 'home' is that cage.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

The little green birds you mention sound like Love Birds Bozzman. Quite common everywhere but do need to be kept in pairs.
The 2 you bought - larger parrots yes? To be honest as someone else has said I'd seriously consider setting them free. They could be illegal - diseased - old - or all 3. And as you've realised parrots do need strong cages and plenty of space. Any caged bird needs to be able to stretch out it's wings with room to spare at least.
You can get plenty of parrot keeping info but the only way to have a sociable and happy (feathered) bird is to buy it very young IMO. :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
charleyboy
Suspended
Suspended

Post by charleyboy »

I've got loads of birds. They're not caged and fly freely in and out of my garden!
Would you like to be in a cage?
No, I'm not an animal rights activist.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Amazing what people buy really. :duck:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

margaretcarnes wrote:The little green birds you mention sound like Love Birds Bozzman. Quite common everywhere but do need to be kept in pairs.
The 2 you bought - larger parrots yes?
Would agree 100% - certainly sound like Love Birds, great company, fairly easy to take care of but give them free flight - around the home with an open ''cage''. As Mags says, MUST be kept in pairs

Parrots need a great deal of attention and a lot of looking after quite frankly. If you don't have the experience, give them away to a good home or get advice on how and where to release them. Pretty much the same advice I'd give with what to do with kids I think!! :duck:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.