Mercy House Orphanage in Pranburi

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

bluezephyr wrote:http://www.pattayamail.com/417/kids.htm

Just found this, At the bottom it says 240.000B was raised in lotus through donations

bluezephyr well done :clap:

Yes a fantastic amount from the Farang and Thai Residents of Pataya.

No mention of how many children they have helped but must be a lot, with donations like that.

Maybe Tesco's together with the residents of Hua Hin, is the answer to Mercy Houses prayers??

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:D I think that stands a much greater chance of success than the bar idea:thumb:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

prcscct wrote:The above has turned into a big organization. Here's their latest results and maybe has some ideas in there for HH. Pete :cheers:

http://www.care4kids.info/
Hi prcscct :D
Another great link and what they do for HIV/Aids kids and others is fantastic.

I was in a Charity in the very early 80s for Aids, (back in the days when all sufferers including children were held in isolation and no one wanted to even go into the rooms to visit them) and we had one hell of a job to get people to even talk to us, let alone donate to a charity that was designed to help sick and dying children and adults, struck down by this terrible disease.

Most people were very negative and put all and every excuse forward (most of them just downright tight) in order not to be seen to be involved in what was a very stigmatised disease.

Thankfully the World and science has moved on, and people are more aware, of just how much good, these charities do.

Lets hope that out of this thread, the good people of Hua Hin can do something similar to the one in Pattaya and bring a little bit of happiness to those less fortunate than us.

Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Big Boy wrote::D I think that stands a much greater chance of success than the bar idea:thumb:
Yes another positive post.

I know Pattaya is bigger than HH but we are talking about a much smaller
establishment so with luck and maybe the help of a couple of International stores, the people who run Mercy House, may get a guaranteed income to help cover costs.

Of course donations of goods, cloths and services and of course cash are vital to the survival of Mercy House, as is the time given by volunteers, who give their time in organising social events, such as the Boat trip planned by the HHAD community for the children.

bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

I may be able to supply clear and understandable plans to someone who can have a box made more locally (in HH).
Or I have the machinery in my worshop to do everything, I will buy cut and prepare a box I can post it to someone in the uk who's going over soon (before me in April) could take it over and assemble??

Artwork, Maybe something by one of the children + Information in Both languages to what its all about. Anyone know a printing company?

And Permission, Any fluent Thai speakers or Wives who would find out the manager of Lotus and have a word?

Barry, Would it be possible for you to speak with the family who run Mercy house when you see them on the outing day , Ask if they agree and are happy with this idea If so all of us may be able to get something going.

Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

We were at Mercy House yesterday to talk to the kids and pick up the new logo designed by the young disabled lad there - and it looks great!

Because some of the children have school tests next week and would not be able to go on the trip, it has been decided to postpone the cruise until March 7 when everyone will be able to go.
Hope this doesn't inconvenience our helpers too much!

On another note, we have just signed a lease contract for a property down near the fishing pier. It's not far from Buffalo Bills (tried the cider last night - delicious!).

We will be opening there from the end of the week and would be prepared to act as the central depot point for non-cash donations to the orphanage.
We would then, of course, deliver these items to Mercy House ourselves.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Some interesting posts.

Just my twopenn'orth, but when we had the charity shop and were selling Mercy House's crafts, we had a donation box for them on the counter, as well as one for ourselves. I may not have the right impression, but I seemed to understand from them that, while they would happily accept the money from the box, they were far more interested in selling their crafts. They try to get the kids doing something worthwhile to help themselves and gain pride in themselves. And, as I said before, their little cards, corsages, notepads and other things are really lovely. Rather than try & get Lotus et al to have donation boxes for Mercy House, wouldn't it be better to see if, as a charitable endeavour, they'd sell the crafts for them?

Mercy House helps give the kids the skills they'll need for adult life by getting them helping with chores, getting them involved in these crafts and helping them get jobskills as they get older. IMO, selling the crafts would give the kids far more self-worth than getting money from donation boxes.

Also, those large perspex boxes in Lotus are not typical of what you actually get left in boxes. Some venues are great, but in others you're lucky to get 100bt in 3 months, never mind in a night.

And BB was right about the BGs. They get little enough tip-wise as it is. They'll quite gladly take a box, but you'll likely find it relegated to behind the bar or a dark, unused corner within a week. Completely understandable - they want to feed their families first.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

March 7th OK for me, Barry. :)
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

I think something like this will work for us and Mercy House:

1. A shop, office or bar volunteers to be the drop off point. ( barrys has done this so that's great.)

2. A date is decided when the goods and/or cash is delivered.

3. Mercy House is advised of the date and tells Barry what their most urgent rquirements are. Clothes Household goods Money Toys etc.

4. This is advertised for a couple of weeks here and Awol.

5. We buy and deliver the goods to Barrys shop.

6. Barry delivers the goods, Buksi gets down there with his camera. We feel good and a good promo for HHAD, Awol and Barry.

ps. Could the topic of this thread be changed to Mercy House orphanage in Pranburi?
You only live once.
AWOL

Post by AWOL »

AWOL would be delighted to help in any way we can with this. Some stories covering the orphanage, the boat trip and the products being made by the children and where they will be available would be a good start,so if someone who is closely involved in these could put a few words and more information together as well as some photos we could knock it into shape (if required) and we are happy to put a permanent free advert in the paper giving the information about the drop off point and how they can help this good cause.

The only other thing we would like to ask is are there other equally deserving causes in the local area that need help? Would it be worth making this a more general charitable effort, perhaps focused on children in this area rather than one establishment? It should be an ongoing effort rather than a one off, so does anyone on here know of any other places helping disadvantaged children? We believe there is a place for mentally and physically handicapped children nearby (Cha Am area?), and there are bound to be others.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

DawnHRD wrote:Some interesting posts.

Just my twopenn'orth, but when we had the charity shop and were selling Mercy House's crafts, we had a donation box for them on the counter, as well as one for ourselves. I may not have the right impression, but I seemed to understand from them that, while they would happily accept the money from the box, they were far more interested in selling their crafts. They try to get the kids doing something worthwhile to help themselves and gain pride in themselves. And, as I said before, their little cards, corsages, notepads and other things are really lovely. Rather than try & get Lotus et al to have donation boxes for Mercy House, wouldn't it be better to see if, as a charitable endeavour, they'd sell the crafts for them?

Mercy House helps give the kids the skills they'll need for adult life by getting them helping with chores, getting them involved in these crafts and helping them get jobskills as they get older. IMO, selling the crafts would give the kids far more self-worth than getting money from donation boxes.

Also, those large perspex boxes in Lotus are not typical of what you actually get left in boxes. Some venues are great, but in others you're lucky to get 100bt in 3 months, never mind in a night.

And BB was right about the BGs. They get little enough tip-wise as it is. They'll quite gladly take a box, but you'll likely find it relegated to behind the bar or a dark, unused corner within a week. Completely understandable - they want to feed their families first.
Hi DawnHRD :D

A great Idea about selling the craftwork produced by the children of Mercy House. Let us hope it can generate the sort of income Mercy House needs.
As you say, it will give them some pride and increase the skills that they will need in later life.

Maybe on reflection my original idea was dumb, even though it was done with the best of intentions.
However, it has had the effect of bringing forth other (better) ideas from within the HHAD community, on how best to help Mercy House, and that can only be a good thing.

I'm still not convinced about the BGs though, as all the girls I met were always very protective of kids.

Does anyone know the sort of budget needed to run Mercy House??
Perhaps anyone visiting them could ask the question, this would then give HHAD members an Idea as to how much is needed to be raised.

Again thanks for your ideas and comments. :cheers:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

AWOL wrote:AWOL would be delighted to help in any way we can with this. Some stories covering the orphanage, the boat trip and the products being made by the children and where they will be available would be a good start,so if someone who is closely involved in these could put a few words and more information together as well as some photos we could knock it into shape (if required) and we are happy to put a permanent free advert in the paper giving the information about the drop off point and how they can help this good cause.

The only other thing we would like to ask is are there other equally deserving causes in the local area that need help? Would it be worth making this a more general charitable effort, perhaps focused on children in this area rather than one establishment? It should be an ongoing effort rather than a one off, so does anyone on here know of any other places helping disadvantaged children? We believe there is a place for mentally and physically handicapped children nearby (Cha Am area?), and there are bound to be others.
Hi AWOL :)

Some more positive ideas. :clap:

Espescially your point about making this an ongoing event, rather than a one off.

There are, as you point out many many other establishments trying to help children in the local area, and are all deserving causes and need help.

bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

DawnHRD wrote:Some interesting posts.

Good idea about Tesco selling the goods, But Tesco and other big stores are so computerised, Buying and selling ordering, For them to even think about it the whole crafts range would need to be in a proper catalogue Everything coded for easy stock control, Tesco would have to give up room in their well organised displays, Even the smallest amount of work and effort by Tesco would still need to profitable for them. (They didnt get into Thailand through goodwill! and this will probably be beyond the disgression of a manager). Product placement is finely tuned for maximum sales of their own items.

This would make the craft range more of a business than a fun thing to do for the kids, Making things to sell to order rather than making things to distribute around local family run shops. They are orphans afterall not employees.
Quality control and mass production needs a certain amount of regulation, In a charity shop if something happens to an bought item no more is thought of it, From a huge retailer expect comebacks and problems.

Ok, So the donation box may not be the best idea, But it is self sufficent, Doesnt require effort from any Thai store manager, And is a way to generate money with minimal pressure put on anybody. Plus it works in Pattaya according to the link.

I have estimated it will cost approx £50 for Strong clear acrylic to make the box+ Padlock and postage to someone in the uk who's going to take it over. I have no problem with paying for it.
All it needs is someone local to sort the rest out. If it doesnt work then is doesnt work. Better to try and not succseed than not try and wonder what if.

Ps.. Barry i look forward to meeting you :thumb:, I appreciate your time to come with us when we plan to visit.
Francois
Professional
Professional

Post by Francois »

barrys wrote:We will be opening there from the end of the week and would be prepared to act as the central depot point for non-cash donations to the orphanage.
We would then, of course, deliver these items to Mercy House ourselves.
Barry,

Do you think it is a good idea to bring along with me used clothes ? My daughter has 3 kids (8, 5, 3) and, at that age, their is lots of clothes kids could not wear anymore.
François
And me, still the most self satisfied of men
I was almost as drunk as myself
(Jacques Brel)
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

My Neice has lots of clothes she no longer fits into, Im sure good condition clothes and shoes/footwear especially would be appreciated.