New House without a pool?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Mandy with cats
Amateur
Amateur

New House without a pool?

Post by Mandy with cats »

I have been searching about the properties, all of the new developments are pool villas, but my family doesn't swim at all. Is there anyone here able to advise me some developments or villages that I can look for a 3 bedroom house just with a big garden and no pool?? thanks.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by PBbeacher »

Hi Mandy,
Any of these developments will sell you a place without the pool and give you some discount for it.
But, it will be very difficult to resell should you want to in the future, and in a development, once the surrounding properties are built it may be virtually impossible to install a pool later.
Also, it's very hot here and even if you don't swim, you will likely want to submerge yourself to cool off from time to time!
Mandy with cats
Amateur
Amateur

PBbeacher wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:30 am Hi Mandy,
Any of these developments will sell you a place without the pool and give you some discount for it.
But, it will be very difficult to resell should you want to in the future, and in a development, once the surrounding properties are built it may be virtually impossible to install a pool later.
Also, it's very hot here and even if you don't swim, you will likely want to submerge yourself to cool off from time to time!
i know it is hot... so hot... but we need to go to school and work so not much time spending at home, plus the maintenance of the pool is quite expensive. BTW, do you know typically how much discount I can get if i dont want a pool in a new development??
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Hi, I am not sure but about the discount but I would imagine the developers get a very fair deal on their pools, so it's unlikely you would get the full 'retail value' of the pool discounted.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Pool maintenance has not been expensive in my experience. Our house was built in 2012 and the pool benefitted from a 10 year warranty. The development management fee covers all pool maintenance, gardening, lighting and cleaning of common areas, security etc. for around 7,000 THB per month. You can opt to take care of your own pool and garden but the saving is less than 50% overall.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Mandy with cats wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:01 pm i know it is hot... so hot... but we need to go to school and work so not much time spending at home, plus the maintenance of the pool is quite expensive. BTW, do you know typically how much discount I can get if i dont want a pool in a new development??
Many developments and resorts have communal pools. I'm 50 yards from ours.

Not all provide a pool as standard.
Talk is cheap
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

OP doesn't want a pool, or do deal with the added 'silly' cost of one, besides the maintenance. They really do charge silly price for pools here.

Have you researched buying land, and contracting to have house build. I've done 2 here, and another in the works soon. So much cheaper, though selling afterward can be iffy.

I'd never live in a development.
Mandy with cats
Amateur
Amateur

laphanphon wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:18 pm OP doesn't want a pool, or do deal with the added 'silly' cost of one, besides the maintenance. They really do charge silly price for pools here.

Have you researched buying land, and contracting to have house build. I've done 2 here, and another in the works soon. So much cheaper, though selling afterward can be iffy.

Thats also one of the options that i want to go for, but the challenge is get a good location land with reasonable price and to find a trustworthy builder with good quality, it will be great to have a house built 100% according to my needs and design :)
Mandy with cats
Amateur
Amateur

J.J.B. wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:53 pm Pool maintenance has not been expensive in my experience. Our house was built in 2012 and the pool benefitted from a 10 year warranty. The development management fee covers all pool maintenance, gardening, lighting and cleaning of common areas, security etc. for around 7,000 THB per month. You can opt to take care of your own pool and garden but the saving is less than 50% overall.
7000 THB sounds fair to include everything, but if i dont use it much, that is an expensive cost to me compares to other living costs...
Mandy with cats
Amateur
Amateur

laphanphon wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:18 pm OP doesn't want a pool, or do deal with the added 'silly' cost of one, besides the maintenance. They really do charge silly price for pools here.

Do you just drive around to search for the land or you appointed an agent find one for you?
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Mixture of driving around, internet, bank sites, realtor (last choice).
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was like the OP. When I moved here I definitely did not want a pool. I had heard so many horror stories of what could happen. There are plenty of properties around without pools, but as soon as you look at a walled complex, they seem almost mandatory. Many of these pools are too small to swim in anyway. If I want to swim, I swim at a public pool - they are rarely busy.

I would never impose my will in respect of what house we bought - I basically left that down to Mrs BB. Lack of swimming pool, not in a walled complex were my only stipulations, and we looked at a lot of properties. In the end, we opted for a modestly priced place, near the centre of town. Our builder, who lives next door to us offered to build a small pool, but of course, we said no (we only purchased a small plot of land, and it would have been a tight squeeze anyway).

My point is that there are builders out there that build houses without the pool. My neighbour is currently building an estate (not walled) of modestly priced properties, but without a pool. She offers to build the pool as an extra, and people have any pool built to their specifications. I've looked around and there are several builders who do the same.

Basically, find an area where you'd like to live, and go from there. This is Thailand, and anything is possible.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Mandy with cats wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:00 am
J.J.B. wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:53 pm Pool maintenance has not been expensive in my experience. Our house was built in 2012 and the pool benefitted from a 10 year warranty. The development management fee covers all pool maintenance, gardening, lighting and cleaning of common areas, security etc. for around 7,000 THB per month. You can opt to take care of your own pool and garden but the saving is less than 50% overall.
7000 THB sounds fair to include everything, but if i dont use it much, that is an expensive cost to me compares to other living costs...
I think 7000 THB is spot on for all the maintenance described for a say 500 sq.m. plot, some high end developments charge quite a bit more. I can understand if you work then you wouldn't want to undertake the maintenance yourself.

I see the jury's out on the pool/no pool question, but I also think the point made about trying to resell a build without a pool is important. It can be hard enough to shift properties (especially if you want to live outside the city itself) without hindering yourself with no pool. Just worth considering IMO.

If you never use the pool the maintenance will be minimal. You can take advice on the minimum number of hours to recirculate the water and the amount of chemicals/chlorine you need, but it doesn't cost much.

Good luck with whatever you decide, designing a new build for yourself does sound an exciting option but allow a fair bit more time than the builder estimates for completion (OK, a lot more time, TIT).
alanhass
Banned
Banned

Post by alanhass »

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Another point is the huge amount of fresh water that gets evaporated into the atmosphere from pools that hardly ever seem to get used and the electricity to circulate the water. I almost never see anyone using the pools in houses around Hua Hin.