Rental of house for 1 year or more

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Adrian Tan
Amateur
Amateur

Rental of house for 1 year or more

Post by Adrian Tan »

Dear all, i have been visiting the rental site for the past 1week & there isn't any new houses in the listing for rent. I came across 1 which is asking for 8000baht per month which is well within my budget but the rental site ones are asking for 25000baht. Comments & any reccommendations on any other sites i can visit?Thanks

Adrian
If what you have done yesterday still looks big to you, you have not
done much today.
<Mikhail Gorbachev>
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

As has been mentioned by others before, if you're comng for that length of time, it may well pay you to shack up at a guesthouse or similar at first and check out the town yourself. There are loads of places for rent these days and it can be beneficial to talk direct to the owners. It's just the legwork/bike riding that takes the time (and getting to speak to the Thais face-to-face if they're in BKK, or elsewhere).
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you're looking for a long term rental just turn up here and investigate the sois, get a Thai to make the calls and do the negotiating for you and you should have no problems finding somewhere within your budget.

It is against HHAD policy to link to any other real estate websites.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

'
If you're coming to HH any time soon = outside the high season, IMHO it is best to appear in town,
get yourself a temporary place to stay and do the rounds yourself. You can make one helluva deal
on a year's contract outside the high season. Just haggle 'n' bargain, you'll save a lot of money.
Particularly if you pay, say, six months in advance.

I might pay a year ahead but would never, ever pay any deposit. You'll never get it back from Thais.
On the other hand I know many who have had a very good Chinese landlord, who have returned the deposit
if the house has been OK on termination of rental period. Thais seem never to return the deposit on
one pretext or another. I know I'm in for flak here, so bring it on.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

No flak, Farang. I'd agree with you.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Farang said:
Thais seem never to return the deposit on one pretext or another.
I have to say, I have never had any problems getting my deposit back - lucky I guess.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've only ever had one returned from 6 different houses I've rented over the years. My rant on it is here: http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1700

I agree with Farang and tend to write the deposit off as soon as it leaves my pocket (or take the equivalent in rent or furniture when I leave :twisted:)
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Adrian Tan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Adrian Tan »

Hey guys, thanks alot. I will be flying in tomorrow & should i bump into anyone of you, beer will be on me ya.

Adrian
done much today.
<Mikhail Gorbachev>
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Hi Adrian,
I agree with all of the above, but just to add that if you go touring around the local streets, be aware that often the signs offering houses for rent don’t always refer to the house the sign is on. This is not to say that there is not a good deal to be had, but it can be a bit confusing at first; you stand outside a house and phone the number and ten minutes later someone turns up on a motorbike and takes you to a house somewhere else. This is still the best way of finding a property, the last time I did this in HH I looked at about ten houses, found a good deal, signed a contract and moved in, all within a week.
Adrian Tan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Adrian Tan »

Hi all,

I am in HuaHin now. Do they need a upfront payment of half a year rental?

Regards
Adrian
done much today.
<Mikhail Gorbachev>
buksida

Post by buksida »

Adrian Tan wrote:Do they need a upfront payment of half a year rental?
As said, every one is different and needs to be negotiated accordingly, if you want to make savings get a Thai to do it for you. You may get a saving on the monthly rate if you offer 6 months upfront, you're the one doing the bargaining, you're the one that can walk away from the deal.

I know of houses that have been vacant for three years because they're overpriced, the owners just don't care, they're rich and they live in Bangkok. Pay what you're happy with!
Adrian Tan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Adrian Tan »

Thanks Buksida, i will be viewing a couple of condo today & see what they are asking for. Anybody for a drink tonight? :cheers:
done much today.
<Mikhail Gorbachev>