Yambay development Khao Tao

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
rainey
Novice
Novice

Yambay development Khao Tao

Post by rainey »

Hi Everyone,

Will be coming to Hua Hin for the first time in a few weeks. Does anybody know anything or have any opinions about the Yambay development in Kao Tao?

http://yambayworld.com/

They have taken the old Milford Paradise apartment and are selling and then renovating individual units on the upper floors that have 180 degree seaviews. It looks very impressive what they've done to the interior. But from what I've researched, it's a very old building. So I have no idea what the area is like, the common areas, swimming pool, beach etc.

Has anybody spent anytime there or knows anything about this development? The per night rental prices on Air BnB are really high. Especially for the Wing 187 units.

Would appreciate any comments

Thanks,
rainey
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Yambay development Khao Tao

Post by Khundon1975 »

^

Cannot comment, as their PDF brochure won't download.

:?
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

It's in quite a remote location. Probably 5-10min motorbike ride to the nearest 7-11.
I've passed by the condo on a few occasions and it looks pretty run-down and desolate.
I wouldn't commit to anything till you look in person.
GN.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

the building is very old. i looked at these condos. they are nice but the rest of the building, grounds, tennis court was run down. the view is amazing. 28 stories. the beach in front is nice. the beaches in that area are nice. the whole area is beautiful. the pool was nice, but again everything is like 20? plus years old so not clean, worn common areas, funky elevators. there are two type of condos in HH, condos that appeal to Thais and condos for westerners. it is just a style thing. This building is very "Thai".

the building is in a somewhat remote area. i lived not far from there. a long narrow road with pot holes to get out there, no street lights, about 20 km south of HH on the main highway (which is no fun to go into HH on) and THEN you turn towards the beach. another 10 or 15 minutes. if you lived there you would be going south to tesco lotus in Pran Buri and not north to HH. very few places to eat close by.

the other thing you can do is read comments on rentals at Milford Paradise from agoda. you will see things like giant thai beach parties, many rental units.

i was never able to get my real estate agent to answer any questions i had like how long until they are finished with construction, as the entire 24th? floor was torn up. are they going to fix the old tennis court which is covered in weeds, the old parking lot which was covered in weeds, the golf course looked sort brown at that time.

in fairness this was a year ago, so who knows what has changed in that time. but the building REALLY needed a make over. i could not understand how owning a refab condo on one floor could be ok if the whole rest of the building was falling apart.

please let us know what you see out there. i think those condos are the cheapest on the beach FRONT seaviews anywhere in HH area. I would have bought one but too scared with all the unknowns and no answers from Thai real estate agents.

also, medical emergency from Bangkok Hospital would be be 45 minutes minimum round trip, not sure about Pranburi hospital, and power outage in 28 story building? i guess. :)

the buillding you really want to live in is just about 100 yards past Milford Paradise on the left. they start at about three times the price. you can't miss it. and if you are going all that way out of town, look at bella costa at the end of the road. 3.25 mil for a small box looking at the parking lot. it was 10 mil for ocean front 15 months ago. those units sold.
Last edited by JamesWest on Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

i just looked at the brochure. must be all new golf course grass or photo shop. you notice if you look at the photos, there are no close ups of the actual building. all from a EXTREME distance. no pool photos? no beach patio photos? no lobby area photos?

also notice they say "Yambay, Hua Hin." This place is not in Hua Hin. if you look at the brochure, they do good job of showing you it is past Kao Tao. So you are not buying a condo in Hua Hin. this place would be hard to rent to western tourists who want to go to the night markets in HH and Hilton night life. maybe good for Thai families.

also be wary of companies that say 10% or x% return on your investment.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Are we talking that huge monstrosity of a building? Probably the biggest blotch on Thailand's landscape. I often drive past it on my way to the Mangrove Forest, and it never looks any better. I guess if you're living inside of it, looking out, you won't care about the eyesore.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
rainey
Novice
Novice

Post by rainey »

Thanks GN and James for the detailed opinions. That was my concern as well. Looks really nice on the inside but you're still living in a really old building. Worn common areas and funky elevators says enough really. Kind of like lipstick on a pig. The commute there doesn't sound attractive either. They also claimed very high occupancy for rentals and overall annual rental return which I found very hard to believe given what I've heard about the property market in and around Hua Hin
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Finally managed to get the brochure downloaded.

I have a feeling I visited this development back around 2001-2003. Am I correct that is when they were built?

It was a hard hat area but the foreman let me look around, I have to say, I was not impressed then and trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, never works.

Caveat Emptor, as they say.

:wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Big Boy wrote:Are we talking that huge monstrosity of a building? Probably the biggest blotch on Thailand's landscape. I often drive past it on my way to the Mangrove Forest, and it never looks any better. I guess if you're living inside of it, looking out, you won't care about the eyesore.
yes the building you can't believe is there the first time you see it. :)
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

The condo and apartment market in Thailand is a HUGE mess in my opinion. When I first moved to Thailand 10 years ago you could buy a nice condo in Bangkok for 1 million baht, now all of the nice condominiums in Bangkok start at 5 million baht.
I would say 90% of the condos in Thailand are owned by real estate investors/speculators and just sit empty all of the time.
Rent prices for apartments have steadily been increasing the past 2-3 years and for no apparent reason, you're getting the same type of apartment that existed 5-10 years ago.
Thai people just trash their condos and apartments because they don't care and it's super easy for them to get a loan from a lending institution to purchase a condo or apartment building and they know they will probably never be able to pay the loan off, Thai Banks love giving loans to Thai people because they're helping their countrymen(Thai Bhumjai, Thai Khemkhaeng :roll: ).
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

i have been looking at shophouses. one is for sale in HH for 8,000,000 baht. :)

yes it is a double unit, but super old, dirty, needs EVERYTHING, inside and out, horrible location, noise, pollution, metal working next door. I am like "what"? you can buy a nice house in the USA for that. or a condo in fort lauderdale, FL.

there is a shophouse building over on soi 10? not sure. anyway, beautiful new three story building about a year or so old. And I noticed all the units were empty. It was easy to tell, as there was not the usual junk piled up in front of the units. anyway, i stoped and looked, the sign said 5.5 mil. ok.

soi 102 has many new shophouses popping up. signs out front, no english, no prices.

i may start looking in Pranburi. I just think HH is the place to be, and Thais are willing to pay big money to live/work here.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

today I did a recon of the "Yambay" building. It had been a long time since I drove up the the entrance and looked around, and I wanted see if they had made any improvements since my visit a year ago.

The short answer is no. And the golf course looked like a wheat field. i did not go beyond the lobby. but all exterior stuff is still run down.
hollygirl
Novice
Novice

Post by hollygirl »

Hello: My husband and I bought one of the wing units and I agree the building is old. Things work at their own pace! The views are to die for!!. If you are looking for the views then this is it.