Condo advice wanted.

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
greystag52
Rookie
Rookie

Condo advice wanted.

Post by greystag52 »

Well all you expats,. I am hoping you can help me. My wife and i have recently spent 3 months staying at the Marrakesh .It is a lovely place and we could not fault it.But most of the apartment owners are thai and only visit at the weekend we found that many a time me and my wife were there on are own with just a few guests from the hotel and a few Russian people who we found very polite but the language barrier was a major obstacle.What we are looking for is a nice beachfront condo with plenty of English speaking people who we can chat to and have a bit of banter with.Me and my wife are from Yorkshire both retired and have a good sence of humor.Any help will be appreciated. Mick & Julie
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Re: Condo advice wanted.

Post by tuktukmike »

Have you considered Skegness. :wink:

Ttm
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Mick, it is the same for all beach front condos incl condochain where I stay at the moment (2 blokes from Yorkshire stay here). From my balcony I can see Rocco, Mykonos and 3 others inbetween. Most are empty every week incl weekends unless holiday or new year.

A lot of the Westerners who do own in Condochain, and presumably other condos, only spend the European winter here, from around October to February, so now you are in the low season.

Enjoy the peace & quiet ! :cheers:

Edit : Another thought Mick is that full time expat retirees live in houses/villas rather than a condo. I love the convenience of the beach and the cooling breeze it brings but as I virtually live on my balcony, the attraction of a bigger outdoor space/garden has proved too much and I will move to a house. The condo is great when I was holidaying as I would walk on the beach to Takiab most days, but since retiring over a year ago I find myself going only 2 or 3 times a week so I don't need it on my doorstep so much. :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

pagey has it right, the villa developments are better for meeting people :)
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

greystag52 - if you wanna meet up for a chat happy too and talk about stuff :)
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I agree with Pagey. I too live in a condo 9 floors up.

The advantages are :

I have a 180egree view of Hua Hin taking in the mountains, town and gulf from my balconies.
A breeze all the time so limited use of a/c
Good security
Access to the beach some 2 minutes away

The disadvantages are, as Pagey said, is meeting people on a daily basis without going out. The incumbents of the condo are either weekend Thais from Bangkok, annual visitors from overseas and one or two permanent western and Thai owners who live there year round.

I lived in a small but comfortable and cozy house before with space, a garden, trees and I knew just about everyone in the soi and around the block. I have toyed with the idea of moving back to that environment merely to have neighbours I can chat to on a daily basis. The disadvantages were it lacked a breeze 24 hours, security can be an issue, soi dogs and limited view.

The benefit of renting is that if it does not suit you you can move. In the end though, it is a personal thing so best of luck.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

JW wrote:pagey has it right, the villa developments are better for meeting people :)
Don't want to appear to be too 'Mr Grumpy', but that isn't necessarily an advantage! :duck:
This is the way
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

dtaai-maai wrote:
JW wrote:pagey has it right, the villa developments are better for meeting people :)
Don't want to appear to be too 'Mr Grumpy', but that isn't necessarily an advantage! :duck:
DM. I think that i understand what you are saying and would somehow agree in part.

I live in Bangkok, in a condo, during the week an live in our HH house during weekends. (My apologies to all as I add to the weekend HH gridlock :D )

After a hard day at my office it is nice to get home to my condo, close the door and be assured that I will not be bothered for the rest if the evening except by my family.

However weekends, without the stress of work are entirely different. At my HH home people are popping for much of the day and it is a very welcome chance to chin wag, gossip (never!) and generally enjoy meeting friends, neighbors etc.

Although I bought my condo, in part, due to the excellent view of downtown Bangkok, I now seldom even look. I bought my home in HH for many reasons but one was the sea and beach, in truth I seldom go to the beach.

I do like space and having a private garden is something that I enjoy every day in HH.

To the OP, if you want to meet people and chat etc. my choice would be a rental home. But then that's my choice and everyone is different, thankfully.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bristolian wrote:My apologies to all as I add to the weekend HH gridlock :D
Not a problem to me so long as you don't need a chicken fix :D
Bristolian wrote:At my HH home people are popping for much of the day
Is this after they've had a chicken fix? :shock: Is it noisy/messy? :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Big Boy wrote:
Bristolian wrote:My apologies to all as I add to the weekend HH gridlock :D
Not a problem to me so long as you don't need a chicken fix :D
Bristolian wrote:At my HH home people are popping for much of the day
Is this after they've had a chicken fix? :shock: Is it noisy/messy? :D

No need for a chicken fix but normally need a stiff drink or so, after battling with the idiots driving down to HH on a Friday evening

"popping in"
Note to Self; Proof Read and then submit! :)
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Jhonstiffler
Novice
Novice

Post by Jhonstiffler »

i am also going to contact you all very soon.
but i need some suggestions for my real estate business.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Welcome to the forum Jhonstiffler. If you intend discussing real estate, please make sure you are fully aware of forum rules viewtopic.php?t=1783 . Also, if you intend promoting your business, please read the following notices:

Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18