Bodies of murdered Phrae couple found,

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Bodies of murdered Phrae couple found,

Post by Nereus »

Bodies of murdered Phrae couple found, 3 men confess

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... en-confess

PHRAE: Police have found the bodies of a British millionaire and his Thai wife after three men confessed to their murder and claimed her elder brother paid them 50,000 baht to kill them.

Police detained the trio in Wang Chin district on Monday. After hours of intense interrogation, they admitted to having colluded in killing Alan Hogg, a 64-year-old retiree, and his wife Nod Suddaen, 61, at the couple’s home in Muang district.

The suspects, whose names were not released, implicated Warut Satchakit, Ms Nod's brother, in the double murder, claiming he paid them 50,000 baht to do it,
They first shot dead Hogg, in front of a duck pen on the property, and then used a hammer to beat Nod, 61 to death in front of the garage

They said Mr Warut had taken the bodies away to bury in the victims’ garden.

Their bodies were found buried beside a creek running through their large property in Muang district on Tuesday, according to media reports.
They were found lying next to each other in a hole about two metres deep.

Police and rescue workers had previously dug up the spot, where a small backhoe was found parked next to freshly turned soil, but found nothing.
On Tuesday, they dug deeper. Two pairs of shoes were found before the bodies were uncovered.

The couple had been together for over 10 years and they had bought more than 100 rai of land in tambon Chor Hae, which they farmed. They had built a large, well-appointed house

They were reported missing from their house in Muang district last Thursday by a friend who said they had not replied to messages or phone calls since Tuesday, when they were supposed to have met up in Chiang Mai.

Investigators found out their white pickup truck was also missing.
Police later arrested Mr Warut after CCTV footage showed him entering the couple’s home and driving away in the pickup.

Mr Warut denied any involvement in their disappearance. He was charged with theft of the vehicle and released after relatives posted bail of 100,000 baht.

Police were again searching for him.

Earlier on Monday, Pol Maj Gen Poonsap Prasertsak, chief of Provincial Police Region 6, said the investigation had progressed after the missing pickup truck was found in Ayutthaya. Everything would be clear in a few days, he added.

Pol Maj Gen Sanpat Prabpudsa, chief of Phrae police, said the truck was impounded in Ayutthaya on Sunday, and returned to Phra That Hor Chor Hae police station, near the couple's home, for forensic examination.

Investigators learned the truck had been bought from a Thai couple by a Lao man. The sellers and buyer agreed to meet in Sri Samrong district in Sukhothai to close the deal on Friday.

The Lao man then drove it to Ayutthaya on business. When he learned from media reports that police were looking for the vehicle he turned it over to police on Sunday, Pol Maj Gen Sanpat said.

He and the two sellers were then taken to Phra That Chor Hae police station, near the missing couple's home in Phrae, for interrogation.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Bodies of murdered Phrae couple found,

Post by Nereus »

An update on this report. I guess that Hogg is not an uncommon name in Scotland, but I think that I may have known this victims brother / family. I have a connection with Phrae, but do not recall this poor victim in the time that I have spent there. The circumstances need to be noted, as this is not the first time this type of murder has occurred in Thailand. RIP victims.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Victim's brother 'ordered hit' in Phrae

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... t-in-phrae

PHRAE: Police unearthed the bodies of a British millionaire and his Thai wife buried on their own property Tuesday morning after the arrest of three men including the dead woman's brother, who confessed to the killings and paying friends 50,000 baht to help.

Police detained the three suspects including Warut Satchakit, the elder brother of the murdered woman.
After hours of interrogation, the three men admitted to colluding in the murder of Scotsman Alan Hogg, a 64-year-old retiree, and his wife Nod Suddaen, 61, at the couple's home in the central district of this northern province.

The suspects who allegedly confessed included Warut Satchakit, Nod's brother. All three reportedly agreed he had planned the killings. The other two men were local friends of Mr Warut, police said.

The three told officers they shot and killed Hogg in front of a duck pen on his property and then used a spanner to club and beat Nod to death in front of the garage. Warut reportedly killed her while one of the other men held the small woman.

They said Mr Warut subsequently took the bodies away to bury them in the victims' garden.
Mr Warut reportedly told investigators that the dead couple had repeatedly criticised him and "he got tired of it" and planned their deaths.

The corpses were found next to each other in a hole about 2 metres deep beside a creek running through their large property in Muang district, police said.
Police and rescue workers had previously dug there after a small backhoe was found parked next to freshly turned soil but had found nothing.

A deeper dig Tuesday turned up two pairs of shoes before the bodies were uncovered, police said.

The couple had been together for many years and had bought more than 100 rai of land in tambon Chor Hae, which they farmed. They had built a large and well-appointed house.

They were reported missing in Muang district last Thursday by a friend who said they had not replied to messages or phone calls since the previous Tuesday, when they were supposed to have met up in Chiang Mai. Investigators found their white pickup truck was also missing.

Police later arrested Mr Warut after CCTV footage showed him entering the couple's home and driving away in the pickup but he denied any involvement in their disappearance.

He was charged with theft of the vehicle and released on bail of 100,000 baht.

Police said on Monday the pickup had been located in Ayutthaya and was being sent for a forensic examination.
Investigators said the truck had been purchased last Friday from a Thai couple by a man from Laos, who contacted police as soon as news reports of the couple's disappearance emerged.

Editor's note: This story has been updated to account for the arrest of Mr Warut, brother of the dead woman and alleged mastermind of the murder plan.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Difficult to understand how the forensic examination of the truck can have any bearing on the shooting and hammer assault by hired killers.
Probably they will find that the husband killed his wife then committed suicide.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:46 am Difficult to understand how the forensic examination of the truck can have any bearing on the shooting and hammer assault by hired killers.
Probably they will find that the husband killed his wife then committed suicide.
Why would he kill her with a hammer, then shoot himself? Why not shoot her and himself?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:46 am Difficult to understand how the forensic examination of the truck can have any bearing on the shooting and hammer assault by hired killers.
How naive oakdale - you obviously need further indoctrination into Thai policing. Ist rule, is the crime couldn't have been committed by a Thai (there are no bad Thais). Then they've just introduced a bye the bye comment.......
a man from Laos
Cynical, I know, but nothing surprises me here.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

All three suspects charged with murder of Brit, Thai wife

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/ ... e#cxrecs_s

PHRAE: Three men, including the suspected mastermind, involved in the murder of a British retiree and his Thai wife in this northern province have been charged with premeditated murder. The suspects include the wife’s elder brother.

Pia Khamsai, aka “Sua Thong’’, 63, and Kittipong Khamwan, 24, both from Wang Chin district, were arrested on Monday. They admitted to having colluded in the killing of Alan Hogg, the 64-year-old retiree, and his wife Nod Suddaen, 61, at the couple’s home in Muang district.

The duo implicated Warut Satchaikit, Nod’s elder brother, in the double murder. Mr Warut was caught today, said Pol Lt Gen Poonsap Prasertsak, commander of Provincial Police Region 5, during a media conference on Tuesday.
The three suspects have been charged with colluding in the premeditated murder.

Police found the bodies of the couple Tuesday morning after Mr Pia and Mr Kittipong confessed to the murder and claimed the wife's elder brother paid them 50,000 baht to kill them. The couple went missing on Sept 18.

Their bodies were found buried two metres deep near a creek running through their large property in Muang district after the excavation on the previous day of 1m deep found nothing, said Pol Lt Gen Poonsap.

Relatives of the couple identified the bodies, which were later sent to Phrae Hospital for post-mortem examinations.
Police further interrogated Mr Pia and Mr Kittipong. Mr Pia confessed he had used a shotgun to shoot Mr Hogg in the chest while the victim was going to feed his ducks. The Briton died on the spot.

The two suspects accused Mr Warut of colluding in killing his younger sister. Mr Kittipong had reportedly held the woman while Mr Warut allegedly hit her head with a wrench he took from her garage until she died.

The three suspects then took the bodies to their land plot near the creek. They then used a backhoe Mr Hogg used for farming to dig a hole and bury them.

After that, Mr Warut drove the two other suspects to Wang Chin district in the same province and gave them 50,000 baht. Mr Warut then returned to Muang district to take the couple’s Ford pickup truck for sale, said Pol Lt Gen Poonsap.

During the interrogation, all but Mr Warut confessed to the charges, said Pol Lt Gen Poonsap.

According to the police, Mr Warut had persuaded his younger sister and her husband to live in Thailand so she could stay close to relatives. The couple had initially planned to live in Spain. But after that, he and the couple had frequently quarrelled and Nod often sided with her husband, antagonising her brother.

He denied killing them but police suspected the growing resentment might have been the motive.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

R.I.P Allan and Nod not too unfamiliar story in Thailand nothing surprises me.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

3 men sentenced to death for killing British expat

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/ ... recent_box

The Phrae Provincial Court has sentenced three men to death for murdering a British expatriate and his Thai wife, whose brother ordered the killings and struck the blows that killed his sister.

A fourth defendant had his sentence of life imprisonment reduced to 25 years for cooperating with the investigation.
The court issued the rulings on Friday in the case of 64-year-old retired petroleum engineer Alan Hogg and his 61-year-old wife, Nod Suddaen. Their bodies were found buried on their property in Muang district of the northern province last September.

The court sentenced Warut Rattanasatchakit, 63, Pia Khamsai, 63, and Kittipong Khamwan, 24 to death for the premeditated murder of the couple.

Police had accused Warut of plotting the murders in order to take control of Hogg’s assets and sell some of them.
According to court documents, Warut initially asked his neighbour, Seema Udpamoon, 60, to assist him in the murders but Seema refused after learning that Warut sought to kill his own sister. However, Suma was still paid for recommending the two men to do the job and was charged with assisting premeditated murder.

According to the court papers, the murder was planned at the house of Warut, who is the elder brother of Hogg’s wife. After entering the house of the victims on Sept 19 last year, Pia fired two shots at the Briton and Warut struck his sister on the head with a spanner until she died. The three then buried the couple near the duck pen in the compound.

While Seema received a life sentence for abetting the crime, it was reduced to 25 years for his cooperation during the investigation.

Mr Warut said after he was arrested by police that the motive was a severe conflict with Hogg.
The men were also ordered to pay a daughter of the couple 644,255 baht in compensation.

Pawina Chuayen, a lawyer for the family of the victims, said their foreign relatives were satisfied with the court’s ruling but were also deeply affected by the events and not ready to speak about the case.

Niphon Khamsai, a son of Pia, said he would consult lawyers about possibly appealing the case to a higher court.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Despite being sentenced to death, I doubt it will happen.
They’ll spend a few years in prison until all is forgotten, then quietly be pardoned or something similar.

How many times are foreigners murdered and the perps executed in Thailand.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

How incredibly tragic. A scots guy who would have prefered to retire in Spain, is persuaded by his brother-in-law to retire in Thai and Is then brutally murdered by that b-in-l. along with his wife. And as the previous poster has pointed out--the whole episode is treated with a shrug.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

That's family ties in Thailand. For money they even kill their own sister and hire killers for as little as 50,000.00 Bht. So how can you have respect for that kind of people. They are not all like that, but too many of them belong to this slur.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Khundon1975 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:38 pm Despite being sentenced to death, I doubt it will happen.
They’ll spend a few years in prison until all is forgotten, then quietly be pardoned or something similar.

How many times are foreigners murdered and the perps executed in Thailand.
Since many years there is no execution in Thailand. I regret it, this is because of western idiots (like NGO, human right activists) who are against death penalty. Those idiots ask for mercy for criminals and doesn't think about victims.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

500+ on death row in Thailand and the last execution was 18 June 2018, but I’m not sure what their crime was.

Who remembers Toby? Murdered by his family for money and I believe his wife, who was sentenced to death for murder, along with two of her family, was out of prison after a few years!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They were both very good friends (we were neighbours in the UK) before the murder. She was released last year.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Thanks BB I was under the impression she was released earlier.
I spoke to Toby on the night it went t*ts up and he’d kicked her out for huge gambling depts, he was in a bad way, but seemed determined to move on.

Sickening the way they killed him for his money. I heard about his murder in the newspapers when I got back to UK.
I doubt they would have been caught, had his family not hired someone from England to chase up the Thai police!

Just goes to prove that for some Thais, life is cheap. 🤬