City Hall joins flap over pigeon-feeding

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Good--- and I hope that they send somebody to my Condo. Mongrel things should all be SHOT! :guns:
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... on-feeding

City Hall is vowing to impose a three-month jail term and a 25,000-baht fine on people who violate the law by feeding pigeons in public places amid concerns over their increasing number and serious health risks.

The warning came Thursday after Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Wednesday ordered City Hall and other local administrative organisations nationwide to tighten regulations on feeding birds in public places due to concerns about hygiene, but added that any measures to regulate feeding must not harm the birds.

Livestock officials also started capturing a large flock of pigeons which crowded a pier in front of Wat Rakhang, a well-visited riverside temple by the Chao Phraya River in Thon Buri.

Some visitors continued to give food to the birds despite signs asking them not to, which observers say puts boat passengers at risk of catching diseases like lung infections caused by fungi from droppings, and disorders such as meningitis, an acute brain infection, also carried by the birds.

These people are apparently breaking two laws -- the 1992 Public Health Act and 1992 Act on the Maintenance of the Cleanliness and Orderliness of the Country, according to City Hall.
Feeding animals, including pigeons, in public places is viewed as a violation, said deputy city clerk Wanthani Watthana.

It is not the first time city officials have been alerted to health risks brought by the pigeons.
In 2010, officials from City Hall and Dusit Zoo jointly trapped pigeons at Sanam Luang with nets.

After the operation at the temple, the birds were disinfected and are now being quarantined in a "closed-system area" to prevent them breeding, Ms Wanthani said. But a solution to this issue that promises the most success is to stop feeding pigeons, she said.

The degree of punishment imposed on violators can also help, but "the city, in fact, doesn't want to enforce the laws", Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang said. "We just want to use them to warn and educate people."

Following Gen Prayut's order, the city has told all 50 district chiefs to survey areas with a large number of pigeons, including the 37 public parks in Bangkok, and find ways to reduce their numbers, the governor said.

Officials are keeping the birds out of these areas by putting up signs to warn people against feeding them, deputy Bangkok governor Chakkaphan Phewngam said.

However, a similar method appears to be failing at Chiang Mai's Tha Phae Gate, a popular attraction in Muang district, where tourists ignore the signs and continue to give food to the birds.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: City Hall joins flap over pigeon-feeding

Post by handdrummer »

Flying Rats.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I have often seen an elderly Thai man feeding the pigeons down by the beach at 19 Rai (Queens Park) and whenever I see him, I can't help thinking just how inconsiderate he is. He probably thinks he is doing a good deed, but he shouldn't be doing it right in the middle of such a busy and popular area.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I agree with the non feeding initiative. If there is food, they will regularly return and multiply (they tell all their mates!). I used to have a pigeon problem. Week by week there were more and more of them, settling on the roof and generally making a mess. They ate more of the dog's food than the dogs did. After trying various methods, poison, fake snakes etc., I moved the dog's food inside. The pigeon population got smaller and smaller. After a couple of weeks or so, they'd gone never to return. You occasionally see the odd scout, no doubt checking for dog food which has never been put outside since. Deprive them of food and they'll be gone. Unfortunately as stated above, there are too many people dumping scraps etc for them. No doubt they think they are doing a good turn.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I guess that they need to do away with/fine the local feed sellers really. As for the Chinese tourists that keep wanting a selfie amongst a few hundred flying rats to show everyone back home how wonderful their holiday was...is a mystery to me.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol