49 missing as boat overturns in seas off Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

49 missing as boat overturns in seas off Thailand

Post by hhfarang »

"PHUKET, Thailand (AP) — A boat carrying dozens of Chinese tourists overturned Thursday in rough seas off southern Thailand and 49 passengers were unaccounted for, an official said. Strong winds were still blowing as searchers looked for the missing people off the tourist island of Phuket in the Andaman Sea.

July 05, 2018

Phuket Gov. Norraphat Plodthong said 48 passengers were rescued from the boat, with 49 unaccounted for. Police previously said 90 people had been rescued from the boat and just seven were missing. The reason for the discrepancy was not clear.

Another boat also overturned off Phuket on Thursday. Officials said the 39 Chinese and European tourists who were forced to abandon that boat were rescued and have returned to land. Thai media showed photos of rescued people in large rubber life rafts at sea, with fishing boats and churning water in the background. The images also showed survivors being lifted from the rafts and sitting in life jackets amid ropes on the deck of what appears to be a fishing trawler.

Phuket officials had earlier issued a warning of severe weather until Tuesday, including heavy rain and winds. "All agencies are co-operating in their search at this time," Norraphat said. "We have given warnings ... but the winds are strong."

He said officials would consider whether to ban boats from going to sea during strong winds. A late report from the Thai PBS television station said the body of a man wearing a life jacket from the larger vessel had been recovered.

Authorities described him as Chinese and 35-40 years of age. They said they don't know the nationalities of the other missing people, but those who had been rescued were mostly Chinese on group tours.

The station also reported that 12 boats with 263 passengers in all had been forced by the weather to stay docked at Racha island, a popular diving spot about an hour's boat ride from Phuket. They said they were providing food, shelter and water to the people, and if the weather did not clear, larger boats belonging to the navy would be sent to retrieve them."

https://www.mail.com/int/news/world/859 ... ge-hero1-7
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Governor: 49 missing as boat overturns in seas off Thailand

Post by Takiap »

What a sad and unnecessary loss of life. In my mind, strong winds and rough seas are not fully to blame. This is just another example of an almost sick addiction to baht.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

PHUKET, Thailand: One man died and dozens of Chinese tourists remain missing after a boat capsized as high winds whipped up rough seas off the Thai island of Phuket, officials said late on Thursday (Jul 5), confirming the rescue had been suspended for the night.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... 6WUHn9i20c
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Divers to check sunken boat for missing Chinese tourists

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

PHUKET: The search for dozens of missing Chinese tourists whose boat capsized off the coast of Phuket resumed early Friday, with divers poised to scour the sunken hull, governor Norapat Plodthong said.

The Phoenix ran into trouble on Thursday afternoon, when it was hammered by five-metre (high waves that had been whipped up by a storm.
The boat had left the popular snorkelling spot of Koh Racha to return to Phuket and was carrying 105 passengers, the majority Chinese tourists.

The body of one of the passengers, believed to be a Chinese holidaymaker, was pulled from the sea late Thursday and brought to shore, shortly before the search was called off for the night.

Helicopters, police and fishing boats were deployed early Friday as the rescue mission restarted.
"We will conduct air searches and send divers to check inside the sunken Phoenix boat," Mr Norapat said.

"Police investigators said most of the tourists were wearing life jackets," when the boat went down, he added.
Stunned survivors of the boat accident huddled in blankets on a Phuket pier late on Thursday.
Some cried while others appeared dazed as they walked around still wearing their life vests.

"Eleven are injured, of these two are in serious condition," the governor said.

The Phoenix was among several boats that appeared to have ignored a severe weather warning in place since Wednesday to take tourists on day-trips to the islands that dot the seas off Phuket.

A Chinese consular official arrived at the operations centre in Phuket to monitor the rescue effort.
Several other vessels also hit trouble late on Thursday. Initial reports from officials said all of the passengers on those boats were rescued.

But as details dripped through overnight, governor Norapat said two passengers were still unaccounted for from another stricken ship.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

58 still missing off Phuket after boats capsize

Post by buksida »

A search will continue today for 58 people, most of them tourists, who are still missing after three accidents in strong seas off Phuket involving two jet skis, a dive boat and a yacht on Thursday (July 5) afternoon, according a message posted on Facebook page “Phuket Public Relations” on Friday morning.

In the message, Phuket governor Norapat Plodthong made a conclusion out of reports from authorities involving in the search and rescue operations that one person was killed, 11 injured (2 seriously), and 58 missing.

In the first accident, two Russian tourists who went out for jet skiing went missing near Koh Racha in rough seas. They were later rescued by fishermen.

In the second accident, a yacht named Seregina with 42 people on board (35 tourists, five crew members, one guide and one photographer) went down between Koh Heh and Koh Mai Thon. Forty had been rescued. Two were still missing – a boat engineer named Aroon Hasanbin and a Chinese tourist.

In the third accident, a dive boat named Phoenix with 105 people on board (93 tourists and 12 crewmen and guides) sank near Koh Heh. Altogether 48 — 36 tourists and 12 crewmen and guides — were rescued. The body of a tourist from the boat was found near Koh L. Still missing were 56 tourists.

To conclude, 58 people — 57 tourists and an engineer — are still missing.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/58-sti ... s-capsize/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Death toll rises in search for shipwrecked Phuket tourists

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

PHUKET: The known death toll climbed to at least 10 as the search for 58 people, mostly Chinese tourists, still missing since two boats and a jetski sank off the coast of Phuket in rough seas continued on Friday.

Phuket governor Norapat Plodthong said 90 people were rescued. A total of 58 people remained missing and the search had resumed.
There were 105 people - 93 tourists, 12 crew and tour guides on board the Phoenix when it capsized at Laem Mong in front of Koh Hae in tambon Rawai on Thursday evening.

A total of 48 people - 36 tourists and all 12 crew and guides - had been rescued.

The body of a male Chinese tourist was found near Koh Lon, said the governor.
“As of now, a total of 58 people are still missing. The search continues to find them,’’ he said.

According to the Phuket disaster prevention and mitigation office, at least 10 people had been confirmed dead. Some media put the known death toll as high as 17.

A report by Phuket police concluded that three vessels capsized on Thursday. Of the missing, 56 people were from the Phoenix.

The two other missing people were on the boat Serenita, which was carrying 42 people - 35 tourists, five crew, one tour guide and one photographer. Forty of them were safe. The two missing people are crewman Arun Hasanbin and a 30-year-old Chinese man.

Two people were on board a jetski which also sank in the wild seas. Both were pulled safely from the sea, according to the police report.

“A command centre has been set up at Chalong Bay pier. Provincial authorities and the 3rd Army are mapping out measures for land, water and air searches for the missing people,’’ the governor said.

Eight other boats with 166 passengers were stranded on Koh Racha on Thursday, unwilling to face the mounting wind waves, Mr Norapat said.

On Friday morning, six of the boats and their 136 passengers returned to Phuket. Two boats remained there, one with 12 passengers and the other with 18.

An earlier photo of the Phoenix at a mooring. (Photo: Marine Department)
2836390.jpg
2836390.jpg (54.77 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Sounds like the boats were far over capacity.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

105 passengers and crew? Seems a lot for a boat of that size.
Does no one ever look at weather forecasts!
Waves that size don’t just come out of nowhere, it would take a good storm to make waves that large.
In my opinion, the loss of lives are down to these greedy
operators overloading their boats and ignoring all H&S,
in favour of the profits they can make.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

OK..So I'm more akin to driving big tractors etc, than being familiar with nautical displacement values.
But looking at the size of the Phoenix, putting that many folk on board is gonna make it top-heavy surely..?
THEN add some five foot waves, and the chances of the voyage turning sour must soar!
(Now think why, oh why did the captain believe it was OK to set off?..When the weather warning had already been issued..Why?..'cos as we know Thai's are not that good at obeying any rules or commands given.)
Will the captain be held responsible for this tragedy..?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Personally, looking at that vessel, it looks well big enough to me to carry 105 passengers. I'd guess many were below deck, which is why so many have perished.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Re: 49 missing as boat overturns in seas off Thailand

Post by PeteC »

New articles popping up now with a lot of bluster and threats from the brass, but not one article has yet to state what capacity the vessel(s) are certified for. The Captain is probably going to be prosecuted for not listening to weather reports? Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:32 pm Personally, looking at that vessel, it looks well big enough to me to carry 105 passengers. I'd guess many were below deck, which is why so many have perished.
I would guess that most would have been below deck. In one of the above articles, it states that most passengers were wearing their life jackets. While that may sound like a good thing, the fact is that a life vest or life jacket can make it almost impossible to escape. Have worked offshore for many years, and having done the dreaded offshore survival course every two year, one is taught never to inflate your life jacket until you are clear of the wreckage or whatever. If a chopper goes does and sinks, you first escape, and once free, you inflate your jacket.

Anyone who has done the offshore survival course will confirm that you would never make it out of a sinking or sunken chopper with an inflated life jacket, and the same would obviously apply in the case of a boat going down. The buoyancy of the life vest can save your life, but it can also end your life.

Anyway, I'm sure the skipper of this boat is going to get hammered, and quite rightly so. However, the actual operator should really be the one who gets hammered the hardest. Sadly, this will not be the last time we hear about such events. By next month this will be out of the spotlight, and so the greed can continue. Nothing has ever been, or will ever be, more important than the almighty BAHT. :twisted:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And the Chinese tourists will keep coming.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Reading Takiap's post made me think. Many victims were below deck, wearing life jackets - why? This indicates to me there was a problem before capsizing. I've been on many vessels large and small in some very rough seas. Apart from the small 'island' boats down South where you're basically in a very long canoe, life jackets are stored beneath seats, in lockers etc. Never has there been any suggestion of wearing a life jacket. I'd guess there's a lot more of this story to come out.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

never to inflate your life jacket until you are clear of the wreckage
Yes, correct. BUT, I think that you will find that the "life jackets" are not of the inflatable type, but the padded / stuffed type. The first reaction in bad weather is to don a life jacket regardless of there being a problem with the boat.

If the number of people reported to be on the boat is correct, the sheer weight of them will affect the stability, especially if they all attempt to huddle together on one side, or worse, above the main deck. As Pete has posted, there has been no report of how many passengers the thing was licenced to carry, or just how big it was. Overloaded for sure!