Thai officials believe 12 boys missing in cave are alive

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai officials believe 12 boys missing in cave are alive

Post by HHTel »

There's been an evacuation of all media and non-essential personnel. A media centre has been set up some 3 kms away. The entrance to the cave has been screened off. After heavy rains overnight, all the signs are that a rescue attempt will take place today. Because of the time it takes to get to the boys and the return trip, there's unlikely to be any news for some 12 hours.
A waiting game.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A press conference minutes ago has confirmed that the rescue has already started. The spokesman has said that he doesn't expect anyone to arrive at the cave entrance before 9pm.
Fingers crossed.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, I think they had little choice. The cavern is running out of oxygen as it can't support all the human traffic. On top of that they are saying 100mm + of rain in the next few days. Fingers all crossed for them! :D :( :D Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Let's keep in mind that the cave is posted as restricted and/or off limits starting in July. They entered in June on a sunny day with no water or rain in sight. In one of the articles there is a photo of the sign that is posted at the entrance of the cave. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm watching a live feed from the area and it's been raining for the last couple of hours. Not really heavy but enough to cause some minor flooding on the roads. If it gets any heavier, I dread to think what the effect of the run-off from the mountain will cause. I hear that 4 boys are on their way. Hopefully we'll get some good news in the coming hours.
The authorities on Thai TV have said that 13 foreign divers are leading the rescue assisted by Navy Seals. Credit to them for recognizing the international effort instead of, as is usual, waving the flag and claiming the credit themselves.
Come on lads. Let's get them all out safely.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I used to work in caves at Copenacre. It took about 2 days for the rainwater to have any effect.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Looking at the escape method, maybe somebody else used to watch Thunderbirds. Not such a stupid idea after all :D

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My assumption is that the boys who need more time to build strength will be last, with the coach the very last. Whatever rations they had before they were found, the coach was giving most of his to the boys, subsequently putting him in bad physical shape per reports.

But...I could be completely wrong and they're bringing the weakest out first before the water rises, leaving the stronger to cope with any more challenging circumstances later.

Which ever way, lets all give them our best thoughts and prayers that all goes well. Pete
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

They're being brought out in four groups. The first of 4 boys with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of 3 each with the coach coming out in the last group.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:16 pm I used to work in caves at Copenacre. It took about 2 days for the rainwater to have any effect.
So how did the flash floods occur that cut them off so suddenly. Doesn't sound as though it's very predictable. But I'm an outsider looking in and know nothing about conditions down there.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Our was draining through. I assume in this case it isn't draining though, but coming from elsewhere.

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Various media outlets reporting that the first 4 boys are out already. Good news! (Although not officially confirmed by the organisers yet).
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Local authorities have said the two of the boys are clear of the dive and swim sections and there is only the walk to the entrance.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:29 pm Looking at the escape method, maybe somebody else used to watch Thunderbirds. Not such a stupid idea after all :D
Not sure I follow - they're using a 'buddy' system as I understand it, with each boy tethered to one diver in front of them and a second diver following behind as back up.

Breaking News: Correspondent being interviewed live on BBC just now says at least two boys are out already. (BBC still not confirming it though).
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Two boys are out of the cave complex and are being checked at the field hospital near the cave before being taken to Chang Rai hospital.

So far, so good!