Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers/demolition of pier restaurants

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Gus
Guru
Guru

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Gus »

Is the Chaomae Tubtim Shrine the Chinese Temple?
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Yes I think so, would make a nice little beach area!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

NOKYAI wrote:Yes I think so, would make a nice little beach area!
Hmm - boats, oily water, rocks....

Talk is cheap
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Caller :D
I think that the oil problem is mainly down to the beach beneath the restaurants not being
able to self clean, due to the hundreds of wooden piles in the area acting like a groin
and holding all the crap in place beneath the illegal structures.

As for boats, well that area is in the semi-circle no go area and off limits to everyone, though I have in the past seen a jet ski ridden by a certain son of a certain family in the area.
The fishing boats that use the pier have to come straight in and straight back out again
and are not allowed near the beach. It is also illegal to fish (with hand line or hand cast net) on the beach north of the pier.
Many a time I have sat at the end of our garden and watched the BIB chase Thais who were fishing from the shoreline.

You mentioned the rocks, well they have been there longer than all of us, so should be easily avoided.
My wife and son were on the beach well north of the pier 2 weeks ago and the beach was
very clean with no damn horses nor rubbish that can be found the other side of the Hilton
on many days of the year.
As for the restaurants, well I have sampled their food and found it to be pretty mediocre, with many better restaurants within easy walking.

All in all, with those shacks gone and a decent promenade installed, the area could be
an asset to Hua Hin. But that is just my opinion. :cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, I was only really responding to Nokyai's post about the area in front of the temple potentially being a nice little spot. But clearly boats in that area of the beach are not uncommon. I knew there was a reason why I never deleted this shot(!), taken between a gap in the piers somewhere along that stretch a while back. There were others that did get the chop!

It does make you think what the beach would be like without the piers?

Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If the buildings come down, all those pilings will have to come out as well. I imagine they're well submerged at high tide and a danger. Any bets on how deep they're driven......5 meters? That or more quite a big job to get them out IMO. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I posted a few pictures of the area in question about 30 months ago.
DSC04009.jpg
DSC04009.jpg (89.8 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04010.jpg
DSC04010.jpg (72.13 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04011.jpg
DSC04011.jpg (68.35 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04012.jpg
DSC04012.jpg (83.31 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04013_1.jpg
DSC04013_1.jpg (62.1 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04013_2.jpg
DSC04013_2.jpg (17.67 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04014.jpg
DSC04014.jpg (74.02 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04015.jpg
DSC04015.jpg (74.89 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04016.jpg
DSC04016.jpg (69 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04017.jpg
DSC04017.jpg (81.6 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04018.jpg
DSC04018.jpg (68.61 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04019_1.jpg
DSC04019_1.jpg (66.62 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04019_2.jpg
DSC04019_2.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04020.jpg
DSC04020.jpg (74.89 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04021.jpg
DSC04021.jpg (73.63 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04022.jpg
DSC04022.jpg (77.02 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04023.jpg
DSC04023.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04024.jpg
DSC04024.jpg (99.02 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04025.jpg
DSC04025.jpg (78.88 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04026.jpg
DSC04026.jpg (68.19 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04027_1.jpg
DSC04027_1.jpg (78.16 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
DSC04027_2.jpg
DSC04027_2.jpg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think some of those photos are the exact spot Caller's were taken. If so, it seems nature has done the job and used many of the old pilings to build up sand (more beach) and possibly slow erosion. Hope I'm right. If/when a large storm hits, they may reappear again. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Two years after a court judgment in the long running Hua Hin beach encroachment case nothing has been done to clear the area of illegal hotels, seafood restaurants and guest houses.

Now the deputy provincial police chief wants answers as to why nothing has been done. The court has ordered structures in the area between San Jao Mae Thap Thim and the Saphan Pla Hua Hin bridge to be pulled down.

Eight arrest warrants were issued on September 10th 2014. And only recently did the local authority issue half-hearted directives to resolve the issue.

Local cops have done nothing to enforce the court’s orders.

The case originally came to light way back in 2003 and legal wranglings went on for more than a decade.

Now Jatchai Rianmek, the deputy chief of the Prajuab Khirikhan provincial police, wants to know why the dozens of people involved in the encroachment have not yet been brought to book.

Source: http://www.tnamcot.com/content/553886
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

If the buildings come down, all those pilings will have to come out as well. I imagine they're well submerged at high tide and a danger. Any bets on how deep they're driven......5 meters? That or more quite a big job to get them out
It would be pointless to demolish the superstructures without lifting the piles.

However I doubt that would be so difficult. The local terrain is mostly sand and shingle overlaying boulders that appear to be basalt, and if you try to drive a pile into basalt, either the pile or the boulder will shatter..

It's therefore not a terrain that will afford much grip to a pile, so an ordinary 360 type caterpillar tracked excavator would probably make short work of lifting them.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The sad thing is these are mostly great restaurants and a big tourist attraction and income earner for HH, could another plan to keep them not be developed? Possibly forcing the owners that want to stay to upgrade the facilities and surrounding area.

While not a lover of beach umbrellas and loungers numerous beaches have now become desolate areas since they were made to remove everything.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Or, as I suggested previously, make them buy the land they have stolen at the current price using their ill-gotten gains. This must surely be a win/win situation, and preferable to arrest.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I have never been given a tax receipt at any of these establishments. I only asked once, on an occasion when I could claim the amount from my employer. I got the common response of "Mai Me". The ill gotten gains may be bigger than we think.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Bristolian wrote:I have never been given a tax receipt at any of these establishments. I only asked once, on an occasion when I could claim the amount from my employer. I got the common response of "Mai Me". The ill gotten gains may be bigger than we think.
But this applies all over Thailand, in every market and most restaurants. Almost no one pays tax god knows how the country survives.

Sorry for going off topic
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote:Or, as I suggested previously, make them buy the land they have stolen at the current price using their ill-gotten gains. This must surely be a win/win situation, and preferable to arrest.
But surely, it's impossible to buy a beach except with the purchase of a whole island. I think there is international law that covers that.