Thai tourist police targeting 'coloreds'

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Thai tourist police targeting 'coloreds'

Post by HHTel »

At first I thought this was a sick 'April Fool' item but it's reported on several media outlets. Can this raise the profile of Thailand or have they completely 'lost the plot'.

Tourist police sweeped through the Nana and Pratunam areas last night to target “colored people,” detaining 72 clearly guilty of having black skin for drug tests.

Saying they were acting on complaints of black people abusing drugs and “deceiving Thai women,” over 80 police officers were sent to hunt down and round up the darker-skinned people found around Sukhumvit sois 3 to 13, Petchaburi and Ratchaprarop roads.

"The foreign criminals come in many forms, and the target for us tonight is colored people," police Lt. Col. Bawornpop Sutornreka said at a news conference. [Ed. note: While Bawornpop's use of the term "colored people" (pew sii) translates offensively in English, its usage is mainstream in Thai.] "First things first, remember that we don't know if they're guilty, so address them politely and treat them with respect."

Those testing positive for drugs will face charges while those lacking proper legal status will be deported, Daily News and Morning News reported.

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/04/01/p ... wn-colored
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Targeting 'coloreds'

Post by kendo »

So I wonder how many of those arrested had tested positive for drugs or other offences.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Reminds me of the early sixties in Paris. Police in Citroèn vans would run down men of "Arab" looks, give them a proper beating inside the van, check their papers once at the precinct, give them all yet another proper beating, and deport those without papers (mainly algerians and tunesians).

Arresting or detaining people simply because of their skin color is despicable.

Unfortunately, there is still a lot of racism in Thailand.
A friend is only one click away
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

There is still a lot of racisme everywhere, inside every country as well.
Rich people despise the poor ones.
We love beautiful girls and ignore ugly ones.
City dwellers don't like peasants.
And Huahin residents look down upon Pattaya addicts...
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Thai tourist police targeting 'coloreds'

Post by Lung Per »

"And Huahin residents look down upon Pattaya addicts.."

And rightfully so !! (humor may apply).

However, on a serious note, I don't agree on any of the above can be described as "racism". "Prejudice" may be appropriate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism
A friend is only one click away
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lung Per wrote: "Prejudice" may be appropriate.
Or "discrimination".
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Gérard wrote:There is still a lot of racisme everywhere, inside every country as well.
Rich people despise the poor ones.
I don't really agree with you on this one. I think their are many rich people who may believe that they are in some way better than poor people, but generally speaking, I wouldn't say all rich people "despise" poor people.

Gérard wrote:We love beautiful girls and ignore ugly ones.
Surely you aren't serious? The sort of women you are attracted to has nothing to do with racism or discrimination. It is a natural instinct. Some men like big women, some men like older women, and some men like young sexy women. It's simply a matter of personal preference.

Gérard wrote:City dwellers don't like peasants.
I was born and grew up in the city, but I have absolutely nothing against people living and working in rural areas. In my own country and in the UK, I certainly never detected any sort of discrimination between city dwellers and country folk. Here in Thailand, things are admittedly not quite the same, with many city Thais looking down on those from Isaan. I know I'm probably going to have my head chewed off for saying this, but to a certain extent, I can understand why this is the case in Thailand.

Gérard wrote:And Huahin residents look down upon Pattaya addicts...
Not really, but most of us who live here are glad that Hua-Hin is not the same as Pattaya. Anyway...... :offtopic:

The raid which targeted black people is almost too much to believe, and of course it is downright wrong. However, Thailand will feel that it is justified given the history of black drug dealers operating in certain areas of Bangkok.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

There is nothing wrong with what the Police did as that is normal operating procedures for targeting specific offences as described in the article. Doesn't matter what anyone says, racial profiling is still a big part of investigative work. If a certain group are committing offences, then why waste time looking at those obviously not involved.
The complaint is probably more related to the word 'coloured' as I believe this can mean different things to different people. I'm sure some from different cultures may be offended by this term. Possibly lost in translation by our Thai friends...who knows. And just FYI, I did spend 17 years in two different Police Forces.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes, you are absolutely right about racial profiling, and this is actually what I was trying to say in the last part of my previous post. Whether it is right or wrong to only target black people, the unfortunate truth is that in certain parts of Bangkok, black people have a reputation for dealing in drugs. Sadly, the innocent ones end up having to suffer as well.

Also, I think you will find that their target was primarily people from Africa, rather than "colored" people. I know that at certain land border crossings, people coming from any country in Africa are singled out, regardless of skin color. For some strange reason, only people from Africa need to have at least 20,000 in their wallets. :shock:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
JAGfx

Post by JAGfx »

No worries Takiap. It is a sensitive subject that sometimes requires walking on eggshells to deal with. Don't want to offend anyone now, do we. It is a shame that some innocents are sometimes caught up in it all, and that some are unfairly treated just by their colour of their skin or their countryman's reputation. In a perfect world, it would be all fine and dandy, but the world is not perfect, and sometimes things have got to be done just to achieve a certain outcome, and unfortunately some collateral damage will result in the process. That's just the way it is I'm afraid. Cheers.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

You can have all the perceived 'racial profiling' you like, but it takes a lot more than just the colour of someone's skin to effectively target those that are criminals even by an ineffective police force, as the Thai's undoubtedly are. Besides, with all the bad publicity about farangs being targeted in Sukhumvit and the Khao San Road, they probably need a new source of income.
Talk is cheap
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

This area of Bangkok has become a little notorious for illegal immegrants from the African continent. A couple of years ago there was a huge police operation in soi 3, where there were arrests of significant numbers of IC3 who were deeply involved in drug distribution, trafficking, making forged passports. Many were linked to crime syndicates.

To even the score a little in the same area, soi 4 is controlled by British IC1, who are far more of a threat but play the system and ensure that the police or other agencies have no reason to get involved. It has become a cespit on both sides of SKmvt. road in this area.

On this occasion someone did not buy the tea......Nothing to do with race as such.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bristolian wrote:This area of Bangkok has become a little notorious for illegal immegrants from the African continent. A couple of years ago there was a huge police operation in soi 3, where there were arrests of significant numbers of IC3 who were deeply involved in drug distribution, trafficking, making forged passports. Many were linked to crime syndicates.
That sounds more like a targeted police operation founded on sound intelligence and investigation work. What's happening now appears anything but.
Talk is cheap
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

i was on a few sois mentioned above last night saw nothing and heard nothing ,infact only police man ,we saw was booking a tuk tuk for something
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ As a customer you never will hear anything. This is only the washing machine and very quiet one at that .....the police tread carefully, as they should.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain