Proposed alcohol ban for New Year and Songkran

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
t1ggyw1ggy10

Post by t1ggyw1ggy10 »

nobooze.jpg

BANGKOK:-- The Public Health Ministry looks set to propose a ban on the consumption of alcohol in public places during the New Year and Songkran holidays.

If the proposal gets the go ahead, the ban could come into effect later this month and will start on Dec 31st to Jan 1st and then again on April 13th to 15th - at height of the Songkran celebrations.

According to the Bangkok Post, the proposal was announced by Dr Saman Footrakul, director of the Alcohol Committee Office which is part of the Disease Control Department, at a seminar on Tuesday 3rd December.

Dr Saman reportedly said the proposed alcohol ban would be submitted to the permanent secretary for public health during the alcohol-control meeting which is to take place later this month on December12th.

Is this an April fools joke . Oh no it can't be .its December !!!

-- thaivisa.com 2014-12-04
buksida

Re: Proposed alcohol ban for New Year and Songkran

Post by buksida »

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Don't these idiots read history concerning the results of prohibition in other countries? If they want unhappiness instead of the promised happiness, let them keep it up. Pete :banghead:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

This is a proposal from one individual. I can't see it happening. Mr. Prayud has shot himself in the foot too many times. He's not going to let this happen.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

But as ever in these cases..it will be a blanket ban..so yes, maybe this will lower road fatalities, but all tourist venues/zones will also be closed..let's see TaT swing that one around to look favourable.. :banghead:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

It will never happen. Totally unenforceable. Cheers :cheers:

We should learn to disregard shoot from the hip statements

5 minutes of fame comes to mind
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Total joke, who will enforce it? The keystone cops are more pissed than the rest of us!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Maybe they will issue a decree that hookers are banned in Pattaya and Phuket sometime.

It's all...... :blabla:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Last new year I had an epic 20 HR drive to Isaan, the police 'road blocks' consisted of 4 or 5 guys sitting under a gazebo and small fire drinking..TIT
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

IT'S BEEN PROPOSED ONLY BY ONE INDIVIDUAL. ANYONE OUT THERE CAN PROPOSE ANYTHING THEY LIKE. Doesn't mean it's going to happen. My god, if everyone panics about proposals that are made in any country, state, town, committee, family the world would be in a very sad state. STOP GETTING PARANOID EXPATS AND THINK OF THE PROPOSALS THAT HAVE BEEN MADE IN YOUR OWN GOVERNMENTS. The majority don't get past the second reading.
jimmy40
Professional
Professional

Post by jimmy40 »

Well IF it is passed we are not coming over for new years eve. That's the best time of the year there, watching fireworks and drinking and partying.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

COMMENTARY: For the sake of our sanity, axe booze ban

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... -booze-ban
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

So they ban alcohol for a few days... big deal.

Think how I feel. They ban weed every day! :wink:

Seriously though, banning alcohol on the mentioned dates is just retarded. Only a retard could think it up. North Korea would sound like a paradise if every idiotic idea thunk up by the natives, was put into action.

Won't happen anyway.

:cheers:
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Just some idiot venting their ideas to justify their job imo.............

One of the problems most Asian countries/governments are struggling with is that they are still most in the 'control freakery' department/mode/stage and still think that it works to be like this......obviously they are mistaken, and will continue to be proven so as time goes along due to the ever expanding availablility of information and communication in one form or another.

They need to embrace the 21st century or be consigned to the past, as this is about the size of it, but they don't seem very willing most of them (kicking and screaming factor)....they want to create the kind of country that the elite in their societies want (through censorship and popular policies etc) and it will ultimatey fail miserably as the genie is already out of the bottle and it's not getting put back in anytime soon.

The writing is one the wall in so many places.

:thumb:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

^^ Agree

Maybe they need a dose of 'Yes Minister' to teach them not to speak before they think
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.