Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
adammike

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by adammike »

barrys wrote:
Big Boy wrote:I agree with your comments James. I'm hoping to travel to Cambodia soon, I am expecting that to cost me and be a paperwork intensive nausea again. As you say, getting into Thailand for up to 30 days, which is enough for most people on holiday is a breeze.
And let's not forget that, under the new rules, the 30 days can now be extended to 60 days through a single visit to the local immigration office
Get yourself an E-visa sail through PP airport.check out khmer440 the forum is a pain but is good on the nuts and bolts info
for Cambodia.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

for people interested in riding or driving to Cambodia, I went there on my own wheels last november through the small BAN PAKKAT/PAILIN border and found it quite easy, quick tourist visa, no hassle at all.
After 3 weeks there, mainly out of the beaten tracks, I was really happy to come back to Thailand (Hat lek border).
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

lomuamart wrote:Thailand just isn't the same value for money as it once was.
That's a fact! I stopped for a quick beer in the well established and long standing Bangkok bar on sukhumvit, near soi15 earlier and had to pay 132 baht for a small Leo!

However, on the other hand, I recently spent 1000 baht on a canal cruise as per the above linked article. It was a slower boat, not one of the turbo charged longtail examples, which were a menace. There was just the two of us and the 'pilot' couldn't have been nicer or more helpful, pointing out sites of interest and lizards etc. He then ferried us back across the river. All in all, nearly 2.5 hours and we were in very safe hands. A very nice, relaxed and enjoyable way to while away a warm afternoon. Luck of the draw I guess?
Talk is cheap
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

An addition to my previous comment, getting to Thailand from Canada
is a bit pricy with the air fares being $1200 to $1500 Canadian, and so when I
travel, every 2 years or so, I try to stay at least 60 days to 90 days.
My Thai relatives like to go out of the country with us, when we are there,
so I need to get a multi entry visa, before I leave Canada. That takes more time and money,
especially now that the Thai consulate is in another city.
That is why I wished that Thailand would do something similar to Mexico
and some of the central American countries. Longer visa that are
fairly easy to get, so I do not have to go to a friendly local office
for such things as extensions, etc.
I am an opinionated Geezer now, (at least that's what my wife thinks)
So I am what I am!
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Tourist arrivals dropped 10.47 percent to 13.6 million in the seven months of 2014

Tourist arrivals for the seven months of this year dropped by 10.47 percent to 13.6 million compared to 14 million for the same period last year largely due to political instability, said Mr Anuparb Kasensuwan, director-general of Tourism Department, on Tuesday.

Revenue from tourism for the same period dropped by 8 percent to 630 billion baht, he said, adding however that he expected tourism would register growth for the first time this year in October with tourist arrivals returning to normal during the fourth quarter due to continuing tourism promotion.

Full story: Thai PBS
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

14 million dropping to 13.6 million ----- 10.47%???? Thai mathematics baffle me!
albaker

Post by albaker »

Ropes wrote:According to the Bangkok Post the slump continues.

Link : http://bangkokpost.com/most-recent/432538

From what I see with my own eyes in Hua Hin and Cha Am I think the figures are worse than stated. Still I suspect more figures will emerge soon showing a growth in tourism.
Some people are asking what " slump " in tourist numbers and that the opposite is true , a growth in tourism to Thailand ! If this is correct why are Thaiairways , from 25/10/2015 , only going to fly 1 flight a day LHR-BKK-LHR instead of the current 2 flights a day ?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've noticed that many of my colleagues here in Europe are planning on visiting Vietnam this year, it appears to be more of a case of it being the next "thing" rather than anything negative about Thailand, it goes along with their iPhone 6!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Ventured out tonight, which is unusual for me now and had to queue to get into Bam Bam (my favourite place to eat on Poonsuk) at 6.45pm. Then hit Binta which was heaving and they were not just walkers but most bars were full of customers.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Star geezer. Immigration dept is firstly a business, easier visas would mean less visits and loss of income. Secondly the underlying culture of the staff is that they don't care too much for farang.
Having said that, I always dress well, act respectively and have never had a problem. I use the same lady officer for each annual vist and sometimes for 90 days and always give her a box of chocolates which I think helps things go smoothly.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand's 2014 Hotel Occupancy Declines to 65 Percent
A recovery that began to emerge late in the third quarter of 2014 couldn’t help Thailand’s hotel industry overcome a dismal first half of the year as the industry reported a year-over-year occupancy decline of 11.3 percent.

The country’s occupancy drop was primarily driven by Bangkok’s hotels, which had a year-over-year 16.2-percent decline. During more than six months of the year, occupancy in the city was down more than 20 percent year over year.

Phuket’s occupancy dropped 5.7 percent year over year, which led to levels just slightly above those of 2011—this mainly driven by low-season (May through June) decline beyond normality—and less peak season effects. Koh Samui held up reasonably well, with a slight decrease in occupancy of 1.6 percent over 2013, and the only negative effect year over year was during low season.

More: http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article81813.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

buksida wrote:
The country’s occupancy drop was primarily driven by Bangkok’s hotels, which had a year-over-year 16.2-percent decline. During more than six months of the year, occupancy in the city was down more than 20 percent year over year.
I can vouch for that.

My youngest daughter has been here for two weeks and as usual when coming to Thailand always budget for a last couple of days in luxury in Bangkok. This time they dragged me (reluctantly) up there to join them. We stayed at the 'Chatrium' hotel on the riverside. After booking on line my daughters boyfriend (being a top notch salesman) spent 15 minutes negotiating with the desk manager while my daughter and I took a coffee. He obtained a double upgrade so we ended up in two suites 31 floors up. They were easily the most spacious and luxurious rooms I've ever stayed at. An entrance hall, large lounge, kitchen, large bedroom, 2 large balconies overlooking the river and part of the city and each room had separate flat screen TV's.

When I asked a couple of staff whether the hotel was full I was told 60 to 70% was the norm now.

At breakfast and at the poolside I started to assess the make up of guests. Many young families both farang and Asian and many Thai large multi generation families too. Plenty of young (20's/30's) couples too. Some who I would normally have labelled as back-packers. Maybe they worked for Apple and were spending their bonuses :)

I had expected to see many Thais though as there are many generous discount offers to Thai residents with ID at top-end hotels.

One point worth noting is that transport by taxis and tuk-tuk in BK were way cheaper than HH. A 10 minute ride in a tuk-tuk cost us 60 bht.
Last edited by richard on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

...................They were easily the most specious and luxurious rooms I've ever stayed at.
Better don`t stay there then. :rasta:

"specious"--1. apparently correct or true, but actually wrong or false
2. deceptively attractive in appearance

1. apparently true or right though lacking real merit; not genuine.
2. deceptively attractive.
3. Obs. pleasing to the eye.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, it seems confusion still reigns in dear old Phuket and in particular, at Patong Beach. Are chairs allowed or not? The Navy commander (why?) says yes, the Police say no. So take your own chair on the beach, because you can't rent one because the junta have banned them (although I bagged a plastic one for 100 baht in October - wahay!), and face the long arm of the law!

Talk is cheap
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

The only stats I would trust are those from starred hotels and they keep these quiet (unless they are 100%) I have never seen a post on HHF from a hotel person, policy and a sense of only being here temporarily, I guess. But the staff will tell you. My own input from a senior manager at a 5star hotel is that the hi-season is quieter and more importantly will be shorter. March & April bookings are low. Their occupancy in properties in other destinations in Asia are down,but not nearly as much as Thai.