Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Tourists murdered on Koh Tao

Post by oakdale160 »

DNA samples must be taken, transported and examined with METICULOUS care.

Is there a word in the Thai language for METICULOUS, I doubt it.

It must be examined by an independant authority to avoid a "conflict of interest"

Does the concept of "No conflict of interest" exist in Thailand. I doubt it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Protests grow in Burma regarding the two men found guilty of murder
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35196816
Hopefully with international media attention, it will ensure that any appeal is properly reviewed.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Here in HH, the place is teaming with tourists for theChristmas season.
Frequently There are remarks on the forun that with all the bad publicity that Thai is getting, the tourist trade will suffer--Sorry folks, unfortunately, it is NOT going to happen
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ 5 maybe 6 weeks a year when everything is full (New Year and Songkran) unfortunately does not make for good business for the town and traders.

The rest of the year it's been like a graveyard with the exception of weekend migration from BKK.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I see the govt is responding to the criticism in the press to the sentencing of these two boys--It has responded by criticizing the journalists who wrote the stories--The classical--Kill the messengers.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Like it or not the junta need to recognize that this case is now being viewed and judged worldwide. The Thai police and judicial system are being tried themselves. The junta may claim that the judicial system and police has handled the case well. Maybe they they have but they have a weight of history saying that things have not always been right and in many cases have been downright wrong.

You can not make your opponents keep quiet in other countries, even this junta realizes its powers outside Thailand are limited.

The Junta claimed that it was going to clamp down /crackdown on the criminal elements and mafia control of many aspects of everyday life in the LOS.

So far, as a simple interested bystander, I have not seen them take control of the island mafias that everyone knows to exist. I trust that they will do so soon.

As for the two Burmese, they have been found guilty under Thai Law but have and will take their cases to have the Appeals Court and the Supreme Courtif necessary. Let's all hope that the process of law will finally through due process and evidential proof ( without doubt) reach a verdict that can be shown to be true.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

'Viewed and judged worldwide--- so what?
Will any member of the military, hi-so families or civil service be hurt or take a drop in income because the world thinks that Thai justice isa corrupt inept mess.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Bristolian wrote: I trust that they will do so soon. .
Wow! You have got to be kidding.

Your "trust" is going to be badly misplaced.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

centermid7 wrote:
Bristolian wrote: I trust that they will do so soon. .
Wow! You have got to be kidding.

Your "trust" is going to be badly misplaced.
You are right, trust was a poor choice, I hope that they will do so soon, might be better slightly better. The chances are slim but I really hope that the junta have the balls to do something. I doubt it but what the hell! It's NY and if you can't hope for better........
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

oakdale160 wrote:'Viewed and judged worldwide--- so what?
Don't underestimate the International perspective. World opinion and the threat of sanctions are powerful if you are an espiring and emerging country.

Modern day slavery in the fishing and fruit industries is somehow finally being somewhat tackled because of the threat of international sanctions that will hurt the Thai purse. There is a long way to go but we have seen a start

It's the same story for the aviation industry. Meet the required safety standards or flights will be barred from offending airlines.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Thailand beach murders: Myanmar protests grow over verdict"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35196816
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Another British Guy dies on KT. Thai police are investigating, no doubt two Burmese workers will be arrested soon.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is there a reputable news source for this please?

[Edit] Found this http://www.samuitimes.com/parents-convi ... ao-murder/
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'll be honest. I've posted the above link in an attempt to give oakdale's post credibility; but I'm not convinced it is talking about a current event, despite the article's date i.e. "The family has also expressed their concerns that the police have got it wrong of over the deaths of the two backpackers last month."
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:I'll be honest. I've posted the above link in an attempt to give oakdale's post credibility; but I'm not convinced it is talking about a current event, despite the article's date i.e. "The family has also expressed their concerns that the police have got it wrong of over the deaths of the two backpackers last month."
If you read to the bottom of the article, the comments being posted about this death are dated October 2014 so definitely not a recent event.