Tourism set for B1bn revival plan

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Tourism set for B1bn revival plan

Post by buksida »

The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has given the nod to the Tourism and Sports Ministry to seek an extra budget of more than 1 billion baht to revive tourism and maintain the sector's revenue target of 2 trillion baht this year and 2.2 trillion next year.

Navy chief Adm Narong Pipattanasai, who supervises the ministry, met permanent secretary Suwat Sidthilaw and other high-ranking officials on Thursday to discuss the tourism situation.

He said after the meeting that the restoration of confidence of foreign tourists is the first priority among all revival measures.

"We will quickly communicate with international travellers that Thailand is safe for them to visit," he added.

The ministry will draft a proposal to seek the extra budget for tourism revival, while the process of budget approval will be shorter than normal.

The NCPO will consider reducing or even lifting the curfew period in major tourist destinations next week to help boost the atmosphere. The curfew now runs from midnight to 4am nationwide after previously being from 10pm to 5am.

Full Story: Bangkok Post

Please exercise caution with commentary, we are still being monitored.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Tourism set for B1bn revival plan

Post by kendo »

So apart from an insurance policy for victims of crime what are they going to spend the rest of the extra budget on. :popcorn:

Kendo. :|
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

kendo wrote:So apart from an insurance policy for victims of crime what are they going to spend the rest of the extra budget on. :popcorn:

Kendo. :|
No doubt they will spend the bulk of it on enertaining; beanos for the travel writers and travel agencies
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I have just put my rosé tinted sun glasses on for this next comment....... 8)

Rather than clamping down on visas how about offering 6 month tourist visas, would be a good gesture in my opinion.

Kendo. :cheers:

Lancashire Lass
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lancashire Lass »

Agree fully with Kendo, Thailand's best move would be to offer 6 month tourist visa's, or if not then offer the same as Malaysia - automatic 90 day on entry.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Kendo for PM :D
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Not everyone gets 90 days on entry to Malaysia. Thais get 30 days as, for some reason, do the Portuguese, Dutch and Greeks. :?
As often as not, these things are reciprocal. We should, in some ways, count ourselves fortunate for the 30-day no visa rule, which is plenty for most holidaymakers.
This is the way
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Does anybody have stats about length of stay of tourists or other entries t THAI.
My guess, for vast majority 30d quite adequate, another big group the 60 day from embassies is adequate.
So immigration has little motivation to change and making life more convenient and comfortable for longer stay, non working ex pats is not on their agenda.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

I don't see much benefit in giving 6 month Visas. I think the current problem is that the '2 weekers' are not coming. 6 month Visas would surely be open to abuse by some.
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Winkie wrote:I don't see much benefit in giving 6 month Visas. I think the current problem is that the '2 weekers' are not coming. 6 month Visas would surely be open to abuse by some.
Exactly and why in the other thread that is running, the authorities are clamping down on visa extensions to try to stop those that are working illegally. Most people don't go on holiday for more than a month so the 30 day visa exemption is sufficient, but for those who do want a longer stay, they can get a longer stay visa in their home country.

The current situation will deter visitors and many will find alternative holiday destinations.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

A two week tourist this year could be a six month tourist next year with a pre requisite to find a place to retire or to develop a relationship .
A fair few new members of the forum come on here in search of just that.

Kendo. :cheers:

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The simple way to attract more tourists is end the coup. Insurance can be affected during a coup, and whilst not exactly wiggle free for the companies, everyone knows that's what they'll try to do if any issues arise. And no cover will be provided for flights cancelled, extra hotel costs, medical costs that may arise as a result of the coup. It's a financial risk easy to avoid by going somewhere else.
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Its not just medical costs as a result of the coup---- case, businessman injured in a RTA in a taxi, ins declined to pay. "You should not be inThailand!"
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Insurance is a real issue, but IMHO the bigger effect is on what is (laughingly) called 'high value tourism' - the people who would normally be booking resort-style packages about this time of year, for the high season. Thai folk occasionally express surprise when high season tourists don't turn up - 'have no problem now - where all the people?'. It seems to always escape the Thai that it is news flow at this time of year that determines the high season bookings - not the 'last minute' market in October and November - and of course insurance risk is a pretty big piece of the equation if you are a family, or in a limited time slot.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Very good point Kork, an other group is the convention and meetings groups, they book a year or more in advance and if I was booking for them now thenThai would be out for 2014 & 15.