Tourism set for B1bn revival plan

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Tourism set for B1bn revival plan

Post by usual suspect »

Maybe the army could consider side-lining some of that B1bn towards a printed survey sheet for tourists to fill in just before they leave..then they (TAT) may get an idea what the average tourist DISLIKED about their stay..?
Jet-ski, tuk-tuk, roadside police, 1 hr wait at airport immigration, meterless taxis, beach hawkers all day long..
...then again nothing would be done about the outcome of such a survey..15% hotel occupancy must be Buddha's wish.
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

Wonder if they are going to have a special card one can carry around for discounts at local Thai attractions.
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

It's not clear to me that the current situation has affected tourism that much. One could argue that, if anything, levels of safety have likely increased. There has not been much more than a furrowed brow from most governments and the value of the Baht has remained remarkably stable. I booked my flight the day before all the larking about and fully intend to come for the planned three week break. It may not be 'business as usual' but rather 'usual business in unusual circumstances'. Since every other post seems to be explained by the 'TIT' label, I don't see what all the fuss is about.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Martial law in Thailand is very different to our conception of martial law in other countries. It doesn't strike fear into people's hearts here and is largely... at the moment... a positive development, keeping squabbling parties from killing each other and hopefully ending the last 8 years of political turmoil.

A marketing campaign, easing travellers fears, is welcome.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

usual suspect wrote:Maybe the army could consider side-lining some of that B1bn towards a printed survey sheet for tourists to fill in just before they leave..then they (TAT) may get an idea what the average tourist DISLIKED about their stay..?
Jet-ski, tuk-tuk, roadside police, 1 hr wait at airport immigration, meterless taxis, beach hawkers all day long..
...then again nothing would be done about the outcome of such a survey..15% hotel occupancy must be Buddha's wish.
I'm not sure such a survey would give the outcome you're imagining it would.

For every grumpy expat/semi-expat that dislikes the Jet-skis, there's probably 20 holiday makers who *enjoy* them. Same with a tuk-tuk ride or the beach hawkers - after all if people didn't make use of the facilities then they wouldn't be there in the first place.

I'd also imagine that most tourists never even have an encounter with roadside police in their two week stay - and even if they do then paying a police bribe is a nice little story to tell their mates when they get home.

I guess they're not massively bothered by meterless taxis, either.

These are all things that take a long time before they start irritating people, if ever.

I understand queueing at immigration has been an issue for some people, as I've seen it mentioned on the forum before. I guess I've always been lucky with arrival times as I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes or so (apart from the second time I came and I was a little confused between visa-on-arrival and visa-exempt stamp, but that was my own fault!) and I've always been through immigration before my bags are unloaded anyway. Going back to Heathrow... now there's an immigration nightmare!
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

The one thing you can say about the grumpy expat/semi-expat is that they are well balanced, they have a chip on both shoulders.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Whilst 30 day stamps are fine for 90% of tourists, 60 days would do no harm.

For those looking to stay longer, the visa run is a silly process that is absurdly inefficient.

Why not have a mobile immigration team that tours the country on a fortnightly circuit, charging a reasonable fee to cover their extra costs for providing the service.

If an imm. officer turned up at HH police station every other friday, say, who wouldn't be happy to pay 500thb for the conveniance?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

uncle tom wrote:Whilst 30 day stamps are fine for 90% of tourists, 60 days would do no harm.

For those looking to stay longer, the visa run is a silly process that is absurdly inefficient.

Why not have a mobile immigration team that tours the country on a fortnightly circuit, charging a reasonable fee to cover their extra costs for providing the service.

If an imm. officer turned up at HH police station every other friday, say, who wouldn't be happy to pay 500thb for the conveniance?

This is why I have posted a lovely gesture 6 month tourist visa would be a welcome hand shake or a wai, only my first holiday to Thailand was a package deal.

Found my soul mate and my wife we have a beautiful daughter, been to Thailand 16,times spending considerably a lot of money built a large house and we support family members from the U.K.

I Was a three week tourist the first time and know..... Well the rest is history.

Short term tourism can turn into a life long benefit and commitment .

I see a bigger picture all good for the Thai economy and my journey started on a short holiday maybe with less restrictions their would be more story's like mine win win.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

uncle tom wrote:For those looking to stay longer, the visa run is a silly process that is absurdly inefficient.
Inefficient for whom? It's a 'process' to circumvent Thai immigration rules.

One thing that should be clarified is that those who need to go on border runs to prolong their stay are NOT tourists. They are either those who don't meet the retirement requirements because of age or financial reasons or younger people who want to work but don't qualify for a work permit.

I've been through this 'system' when I first arrived in Thailand over 10 years ago, aged 46, but in those days you could get a double- or triple-entry tourist visa from Penang. But until I decided to start teaching here, I was just another of those who fell between the qualification gaps.

However, only on my VERY FIRST arrival was I a tourist. After that, I knew exactly what I was about.

You mean have a team of immigration officers applying the immigration laws and offering extensions of stay in various locations around the country? As currently exists?

Or are you seriously suggesting there should be an authorised team of border control immigration officers wandering around offering 'on entry' arrival stamps to foreigners who haven't actually left the country in the first place? Clearly in breach of their own immigration laws, of course. Please tell me you're kidding.

The Thai authorities make it hard enough for legal foreign workers (and any other category) to remain here, jumping through numerous bureaucratic hoops every year with no end in sight. If they wanted the under-50s or those with enough to support themselves but less than the 'retirement' amount to be able to stay, they would create another, less demanding, category.
kendo wrote:This is why I have posted a lovely gesture 6 month tourist visa would be a welcome hand shake or a wai, only my first holiday to Thailand was a package deal.

Found my soul mate and my wife we have a beautiful daughter, been to Thailand 16,times spending considerably a lot of money built a large house and we support family members from the U.K.

I Was a three week tourist the first time and know..... Well the rest is history.

Short term tourism can turn into a life long benefit and commitment .

I see a bigger picture all good for the Thai economy and my journey started on a short holiday maybe with less restrictions their would be more story's like mine win win.

A heart-warming story, kendo, but the simple fact is that:

"I Was a three week tourist the first time"
"Short term tourism can turn into a life long benefit and commitment"

and that now, as the spouse of a Thai national, you can easily obtain a visa allowing you to stay for a longer period in Thailand if you wish, with 12-month extensions indefinitely.
This is the way
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I know what I am entitled to apply for but on the subject of tourism or long stayers below retirement age they could do a lot more to welcome the foreigner and more visitor friendly visa regulations .
Just a small step but a positive one.

TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

usual suspect wrote:Maybe the army could consider side-lining some of that B1bn towards a printed survey sheet for tourists to fill in just before they leave..then they (TAT) may get an idea what the average tourist DISLIKED about their stay..?
Dislikes..Dual pricing, Pollution, Squat toilets, Lack of police traffic enforcement on road safety, Sand in my bed sheets :idea:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

kendo wrote:I know what I am entitled to apply for but on the subject of tourism or long stayers below retirement age they could do a lot more to welcome the foreigner and more visitor friendly visa regulations .
I'm obviously not making myself clear.

THEY DON'T WANT TO.
This is the way
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

dtaai-maai wrote:
kendo wrote:I know what I am entitled to apply for but on the subject of tourism or long stayers below retirement age they could do a lot more to welcome the foreigner and more visitor friendly visa regulations .

THEY DON'T WANT TO.
:thumb:

Agree totally
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

dtaai-maai wrote:

THEY DON'T WANT TO.

I know that but maybe some of this budget for a revival plan could set up a platform for engaging the Tourist industry and it's needs and expectations compared to other countries that are in competition
For their market share.

Sorting out a countries internal affairs first will be a very good starting point I guess They need to get that right before they can do anything else or this will just be a waste of time..

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

kendo wrote:
dtaai-maai wrote:

THEY DON'T WANT TO.

I know that but maybe some of this budget for a revival plan could set up a platform for engaging the Tourist industry and it's needs and expectations compared to other countries that are in competition
For their market share.

Sorting out a countries internal affairs first will be a very good starting point I guess They need to get that right before they can do anything else or this will just be a waste of time..

As long as you realise that all the forum is, is an avenue to get something off your chest, rather than expecting somebody high up in the echelons of power reading the forum and thinking that Joe Farang has come up with a good suggestion, let's do as he suggests!!