Warnings to Thailand's tourism sector

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Warnings to Thailand's tourism sector

Post by buksida »

Unfriendly staff, poor services hit competitiveness: study

Hospitality firms and workers in Thailand have been urged to develop their service skills and adopt a friendlier attitude to cope with the strong competition in Asean's tourism industry, amid warnings that the country is in danger of losing ground to Malaysia and Singapore.

"Thailand needs to develop tourism services and improve hospitality so that the tourism industry can help increase the country's income during the slowdown in exports and domestic growth," Aat Pisanwanich, director of the Centre for International Trade Studies at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said yesterday.

The centre's study shows that ASEAN countries, especially Malaysia and Singapore, have seriously improved their tourism and hospitality services to draw more visitors.

After the ASEAN Economic Community crystallises, Thailand could find it more difficult to compete because its tourism services have developed less than those in other countries in the region, as well as in Japan.

Foreign visitors are less satisfied than they once were with the "Siamese Smile", as many Thais, particularly people working in service businesses, look displeased, according to the study. The Japanese are more favoured among travellers.

Full Story: Eleven

Thought: Thailand has become very complacent with tourism since it has had it for so long and now just expects the dollars to come rolling in with very little effort required. The difference I personally found with hospitality staff in say Vietnam compared to Thailand was amazing, they bend over backwards to help you whereas here you cant get them off their mobile phones!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Warnings to Thailand's tourism sector

Post by oakdale160 »

Very important for BKK and HH.
For Pattaya its business as usual---Girls and Golf--both at reasonable prices, sure brings them in.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

I think Thailand should stop focusing so much on tourism and start focusing more on education, infrastructure, market liberalization/deregulation etc.
Tourism is a fickle and niche market (Agrotourism? :roll: gimme a break)
Tourism is like a weird excuse that Thailand uses to not have to be a part of the real world.
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

At least the Thai baht is now getting weaker. Got to help tourism and exports.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Buksi, I certainly agree with what you are saying. I realize that I'm not exactly a tourist in Thailand, and therefore I don't expect to be treated like one. However, friends of mine who visit at least once a year have also commented on the change in attitudes.

As far as my own personal experience is concerned..........I feel far more welcome crossing the border into Malaysia than I do crossing the border into Thailand. In fact, I'll even go as far as saying that I almost dread dealing with Thai immigration at the borders. I'm sorry to have to say this, but most times they are miserable and give the impression that they see you as being nothing but a a nuisance. How often does a Thai immigration officer smile at you at a border crossing......not very often.

If the country wants to appear more welcoming, it needs to start at the front door, which is obviously the immigration desk.

I know, there's more to it than just the arrivals hall. I do also think though that Thailand has enjoyed massive tourism for so long, that they now just take it for granted.

I also realize, as another member posted, that tourism isn't an ideal economic foundation, but for a developing country, it can be a massive cash cow, and one which Thailand cannot afford to be without right now.

Just my opinion, and an uninformed one at best.

:) :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

buksida wrote:The difference I personally found with hospitality staff in say Vietnam compared to Thailand was amazing, they bend over backwards to help you whereas here you cant get them off their mobile phones!
I thought exactly the same thing when we toured Vietnam in April. The staff smiled, welcomed, changed tours to suit us, and did everything they could to make our stay a pleasurable one. The other marked difference was that they seemed more trusting. They didn't demand money up-front, and we didn't get the 'Wait while we check that you haven't nicked anything from the room' palaver that you usually get in Thai hotels.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hospitality firms and workers in Thailand have been urged to develop their service skills and adopt a friendlier attitude .......................
Why restrict the comment to just the tourist industry? The same damn thing is endemic throughout the country! Just go into any big supermarket to get a dose of it! :cuss:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

We do travel quite often within Thailand and yes, from national park to hotel front desk, its scouring faces and a feeling that you're putting the poor staff out by asking for a little "hospitality" or service.

Vietnam was an eye opener, will be in Indonesia next month so we'll see how that compares. I really don't think Thailand cares any more to be honest, they spout their figures about the Chinese and Russians hoards and count their dollars, ... the rest of us can go jump.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:agree: VS and Buksi, Nam puts Thailand to shame regarding customer services and manners. So does Cambodia IMO
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.