Chinese tourists (and their habits) surge into Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Re: Chinese tourists (and their habits) surge into Thailand

Post by PeteC »

^ If the police investigation indicates otherwise, I'll post a retraction.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Chinese overwhelm tourist infrastucture

To long an article to post here but a very interesting read.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/in-t ... e#cxrecs_s
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

PeteC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:29 am ^ If the police investigation indicates otherwise, I'll post a retraction.
So you're just assuming for now?
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Pleng wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:52 pm
PeteC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:29 am ^ If the police investigation indicates otherwise, I'll post a retraction.
This may clarify Pete's comments a little further

An extract from the article in "coconuts" para 3

'Mahout Yu Yungram, 37, said that he was taking two Chinese tourists on an elephant ride around the orchard when they encountered a dozen other Chinese tourists. Yu said he tried to tell his charges not to go near the elephant, but the tourists began taking selfies, and one of them allegedly pulled the bull’s tail and angered it, Sanook reported.'

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/elepha ... ulls-tail/
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Pleng wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:52 pm
No, it's a logical, reasonable and probable conclusion given those involved in the incident. I drive past the place weekly, sometimes several times a week. Since the Chinese tourist invasion began 5 years ago I have seen nothing but long lines of Chinese tourists queued up for rides and no one else. Too many people could be a contributing cause of the accident as well, as the elephants are severely overworked.

The place is within 5 minutes of two other venues. Underwater World and the Floating Market, that are flooded daily with Chinese tour buses. It's a 3-stop circuit on all Chinese tour guide lists.

Now pleng, do you really think that if the tail puller was a white skinned westerner the papers wouldn't know that and make it their lead sentence as they always do?

As I said, if I am wrong, which I strongly doubt, I will admit it. Or, perhaps I'll go ask the elephant. :idea: End of discussion. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Maybe this elephant had no sympathy for Chins.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

The Chinese tourists shouldn't be allowed near any wildlife - they have absolutely no idea how to conduct themselves and don't follow rules.

Can I back this up with evidence? Yes. We visited a national park in Nepal a few years ago. There was a bunch of Chinese tourists staying - much to the disgust of the owner, as he said he really didn't like Chinese tourists, and if he saw Chinese names on a list he told them he was full. This lot somehow slipped through the net. Anyway, we went on an elephant trek in the jungle and were advised to wear earthy coloured clothes and be very quiet. We obeyed. Unfortunately, we caught up with the Chinese group who had decided to ignore all the instructions and turned up wearing orange and pink (their favourite colours :shock: ) and make whooping sounds any time they saw any animal, and jumped up and down in the seats on the elephants' backs.

They should be confined to shopping malls and rip-off tourists shops.

VS :cuss:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ VS I really take exception your closing remark about Chinese tourists. I mean who, whilst doing their grocery shopping at Tesco in Market Village, wants to have to put up with hordes of Chinese tourists dressed in bright, gaudy colours a hollering and a whooping? They should be perfectly fine at the rip-off tourist shops. Merry Christmas. :)

Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Just run them over with your loaded trolley.
:lach:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

PeteC wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:22 pm Or, perhaps I'll go ask the elephant. :idea: Pete :cheers:
He still wouldn't be satisfied, so I'd get it in writing. :wink:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Those of you living in Hua Hin don't know, and hopefully never will, what it's been like here in the east over the past few years. Regardless of Pattaya's bar area/nighttime reputation, there used to be dozens of nice venues that gave a good day out for the family, no longer. Everywhere you go you have to endure pushing and shoving, noise, spitting and absolute rude behaviour. You may as well have a day out at the Guangzhou train station, and some of you know what I mean by that.

Thais are sick of it as well, if the wife and neighbors are any kind of a barometer. StevePIraq's article above indicates that they are once again going to try for quality over quantity but Pandora's box is open and I really don't know if they can shut it again. It's a sad state of affairs when the wife and daughter don't even want to go shopping any longer at the upscale Central Festival in Pattaya. Instead, they now take more weekend shopping trips to Bangkok which is not good for anyone's wallet! :banghead:

Enough of this depressing stuff, time to get into a holiday mood. Merry Christmas to everyone and hopes for a peaceful 2018 ahead. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

Vital Spark wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:59 pm The Chinese tourists shouldn't be allowed near any wildlife - they have absolutely no idea how to conduct themselves and don't follow rules.

Can I back this up with evidence? Yes. We visited a national park in Nepal a few years ago. There was a bunch of Chinese tourists staying - much to the disgust of the owner, as he said he really didn't like Chinese tourists, and if he saw Chinese names on a list he told them he was full. This lot somehow slipped through the net. Anyway, we went on an elephant trek in the jungle and were advised to wear earthy coloured clothes and be very quiet. We obeyed. Unfortunately, we caught up with the Chinese group who had decided to ignore all the instructions and turned up wearing orange and pink (their favourite colours :shock: ) and make whooping sounds any time they saw any animal, and jumped up and down in the seats on the elephants' backs.

They should be confined to shopping malls and rip-off tourists shops.

VS :cuss:
They should be confined to China!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

They should just send submarines, high speed rails, armament factories, money and stay home or go to Venezuela.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Indeed, they don't even need to leave the airport!

I was into Swampy and was in the downstairs food court not so long ago and my guess that a couple of planes had landed not only from China but Russia as well (?). Honest to Gawd you needed a whip and chair to have handled that mob. The yelling and pushing were a sight. The disgust of the staff in the various food stalls was plain to see.

Upon leaving I felt like I need a a good washing up!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Bluesky wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:17 pm An extract from the article in "coconuts" para 3

'Mahout Yu Yungram, 37, said that he was taking two Chinese tourists on an elephant ride around the orchard when they encountered a dozen other Chinese tourists. Yu said he tried to tell his charges not to go near the elephant, but the tourists began taking selfies, and one of them allegedly pulled the bull’s tail and angered it, Sanook reported.'

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/elepha ... ulls-tail/
Thank you. I don't think it was an unreasonable request, to be fair, considering the originally quoted article made no mention of the nationality of the tourists and I, like many other readers (I presume) are not familiar with the venue.