Chinese tourists (and their habits) surge into Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Chinese tourists (and their habits) surge into Thailand

Post by Nereus »

My friends run a farm stay in Australia which focuses on mainly Asian tourists. It's only been recently that visitors have been coming in from China in big numbers and the business owners are finding them a very difficult crowd to deal with.
One Blue Heeler dog needed there I think!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Nereus wrote:One Blue Heeler dog needed there I think!
They do have a couple of very excitable "Vic Park Terriers" who do get in on the act too Nereus!!
Complexity is so simply overrated
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

This was a first. Today I was at the airport at info, I was in a line and a Chinese guy tried to slip in sideways. I gave him 'the look" and he moved behind me. When the lady in front of me left, I stepped up to the counter. The Chinese guy put his head over my shoulder and shouted his question to the person at the desk--and G** damnit, she dealt with him first in spite of my--Excuse me, I think I am ahead of you. & Excuse me miss I am next
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Dr Mike wrote:This was a first. Today I was at the airport at info, I was in a line and a Chinese guy tried to slip in sideways. I gave him 'the look" and he moved behind me. When the lady in front of me left, I stepped up to the counter. The Chinese guy put his head over my shoulder and shouted his question to the person at the desk--and G** damnit, she dealt with him first in spite of my--Excuse me, I think I am ahead of you. & Excuse me miss I am next
We get that a lot in Tunisia, not only does the pusher-in get pushed behind the receptionist/cashier gets told in no uncertain manner that they should deal with us first. Western politeness with "excuse me`s" does not work with some nationalities. :guns:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dr Mike wrote:This was a first.
.... a FIRST???!!! :shock: :shock:

I thought you had a fair bit of experience in China Dr M... having our Chinese friends actually wait in line would be quite an achievement.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

THere is a paradox, with people they know and people that they recognise as their social superiors they can be excessively polite but there is no feeling that you need to be polite to people that you don't know and will never see again.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

I tried getting off a bus once in China and was swamped by people getting on. Second time it was happening I shoved them all out of the way sending some sprawling. Gee I felt good however my old mum would not have approved. Most travelling Chinese like most Indians are part of the new middle class with few manners. See what population pressures can do !
buksida

Post by buksida »

This is classic:

Thai Airways International PCL on Wednesday clarified the details of an incident caught on video involving a mid-air fight among three Chinese tourists on a THAI flight from Bangkok to Beijing.

The incident occurred on Feb 12 after a Chinese man refused a flight attendant’s request to return his seat to the upright position during a meal, said Chatree Pongsak, director of THAI’s flight operations safety department.

The passenger insisted he want to keep on sleeping, prompting two other Chinese, a man and a woman, who were sitting at the back, to shake his seat in a bid to force him to adjust it. A heated argument followed and turned into a fist fight, during which objects were thrown.

The incident was video taped by a passenger who later uploaded the 1.31-minute clip on YouTube on Feb 15.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... ight-video
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

The Iron Curtain......................now those were the days.
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Fake, not one of them gobbed on the floor. :wink:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thais told to give warm welcome to Chinese tourists
The government tells all Thais to be generous with tourists, particularly in anticipation of an influx of Chinese tourists during the approaching Chinese New Year.

It asks all Thai people to give them warm welcome while assuring that related agencies will help inform the Chinese about Thai customs and culture.

The government’s reaction came as some tourist spots were unhappy with the improper conduct of the Chinese tourists.

Deputy government spokesman Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd asked Thais to keep their patience with the tourists, saying that the arrival of undesirable people is sometimes inevitable, especially now that the country has become one of the must visit destinations for foreign tourists.

He said Thai tourist attractions have over the past few years gained increased popularity among Chinese tourists, whose number usually surged highly during the Chinese New Year.

This year, the number of Thailand-bound charter flights from China during the festive season is estimated at 800-900.

Maj Gen Sansern said Thai people’s acceptance and tolerance of different types of tourists would provide a boost to the growth of tourism, which is a major source of revenue for the country.

He said that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs was also seeking cooperation from Chinese tour agencies and tour leaders in disseminating knowledge about the do’s and don’ts in Thai culture to their customers prior to their arrival in the Kingdom.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thais- ... e-tourists
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

"especially now that the country has become one of the must visit destinations for foreign tourists."

I love that part... obviously the current gov has no idea how tourism is declining at a rapid pace. 2 years ago it was a must visit destination, not so much anymore.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand’s uneasy reliance on Chinese tourists just keeps getting bigger
A Thai friend of mine remarked the other night after to returning to Chiang Mai from her studies in New York that out of all the changes she had noticed in this fast growing city it was the pervasion of Chinese tourists that surprised her the most. We have seen over the last few years a statistical growth which has transformed the city and brought with it a new economy. The tourism demographics are a changing, and while a third language has started to adorn restaurant menus and public bathrooms around town, there has been a barrage of controversy concerning how Thailand’s rising star of tourism conducts itself.

In spite of what opinions we might hold about the influx of tourists from China and the purported traits they bring with them, Thailand has become heavily reliant on its new guests. As MasterCard chief economist Yuwa Hedrick-Wong put it recently in a Reuters article, the many countries benefiting from Chinese tourism must “diversify”, and not become too dependent on one demographic in terms of tourism revenue.

At the same time, not focusing on Chinese tourists would suggest poor business acumen. While there has been an increase in Russian tourists to Thailand over the years – followed by a decrease due to the weakening of the ruble in 2014 – China is the only market that stands out. Diversification might be at the epicenter of all intelligent, sustainable business models, but with Chinese spending power and the will to spend overseas being what it is, one could hardly be blamed for focusing towards the Divine Land for your business growth.

In March this year Chinese tourists travelling into Thailand amounted 679,660 people, which was 26.84% all international tourists; 29% of tourists were Chinese in February, and 21% in January – almost as much as all European tourists put together, and a much higher number than all tourists travelling from the Americas. In 2014 Chinese tourists visiting Thailand was by far the highest nationality (4.6 million or 18.66% of 24.8 million tourists in total), followed by Malaysian and Russian nationals. Tourists from the UK amounted to 909,335 in 2014, a number that has been more or less steady for the last 10 years, but even back in 2006 was still below China’s 1,033,305 arrivals.

More: http://asiancorrespondent.com/133675/th ... ng-bigger/
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

They're probably checking out what their future province is like!
Talk is cheap
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

caller wrote:They're probably checking out what their future province is like!
I certainly hope not!