Thailand's high-speed train project underway

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Rapid Progress on High Speed Rail: Bangkok to Korat

Post by Ratsima »

hsr.jpg
hsr.jpg (78.03 KiB) Viewed 712 times
They cleared 3.5K in better than two years. (Almost thee, actually. But who's counting?) At that rate it will take about 143 years to clear all 250K. And then they can start laying the track.
hsr2.jpg
hsr2.jpg (94.15 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Taken in February of 2019 at Klong Dong. I thought they were almost done then.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand's high-speed train project underway

Post by oakdale160 »

3.5K in 2 years--thats about 7m a day. Thats not high speed.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

it's hard when you use rakes & brooms to clear the road.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand took two and a half years to build 3.5 km of high-speed rail, it might not be a bad thing
It was advertised as the train that will take you from Bangkok to London, then it was the fastest land link to Southern China, now it is one of the slowest ongoing rail constructions in the world.

As Pichai Naripthaphan, the former energy minister pointed out, if it took two years and six months to build the first 3.5 kilometers then it would take at least half a century for the Sino-Thai rail to get to Chiang Mai.

But slow going on rail construction might not be altogether a bad thing.

The Belt and Road project was advertised by China as bringing economic prosperity to all the countries that it touches. But that has not proven to be the case in reality.

One only needs to look at what’s going on in Laos to understand how dangerous a deal with China can be.

The Sino-Laos rail line comes with a hefty US$6.2 billion price tag or around $15 million per kilometer, a price tag that analysts had said the Laotian government will have a hard time repaying.

China is now Laos’s biggest creditor and the country is facing default while Cambodia could be next.

With Laos out of the way, political pressure from China could now be focused on Thailand.

With only 3.5 km completed as of yesterday, there is plenty of money left to be made for corrupt politicians and plenty of debt to place the country in. Would you trust the current group of crooks sitting in government to not take advantage?

More: https://www.thaienquirer.com/18893/opin ... bad-thing/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Quote from above-I wish somebody would tell me how to do that yellow box thing

The Sino-Laos rail line comes with a hefty US$6.2 billion price tag or around $15 million per kilometer, a price tag that analysts had said the Laotian government will have a hard time repaying.

They will NEVER be able to repay that amount. China has bought a country-- Cambodia next, VN will resist, then--????

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:40 pm Quote from above-I wish somebody would tell me how to do that yellow box thing
Just click on the quote mark, it ain't rocket science! :D Then add your own comment out side the quote brackets.
This is the way
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:52 pm
oakdale160 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:40 pm Quote from above-I wish somebody would tell me how to do that yellow box thing
Just click on the quote mark, it ain't rocket science! :D Then add your own comment out side the quote brackets.
Like this?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:36 pm
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:52 pm
Like this?
See, it is rocket science. :wink: