Pumps may be forced to close earlier

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Pumps may be forced to close earlier

Post by Lev »

Petrol stations would close earlier under an Energy Ministry proposal to be submitted to the prime minister today, but there are no other drastic measures. A source at the ministry said the recommendations include more taxi stands to cut down on roaming taxis, petrol stations closing one or two hours earlier than the current 10pm time, and the closure of convenience stores at petrol stations.

A restricted zone of inner city streets for cars with at least three people each is proposed and new taxis must use natural gas, along with tax privileges for businesses which acquire energy-saving equipment.

PTT Plc would make it cheaper to modify vehicles to use natural gas. The government plans to replace 10% of oil demand with natural gas for vehicles (NGV) within three years. The search would also continue for energy alternatives.

Energy Minister Viset Choopiban said radical measures might be delayed as the crude price in Dubai had dropped to $56.68 a barrel. If it rose to $70 action might be needed. Energy-saving campaigns had led to in a drop in diesel use from 62 million litres a day to 48 million. Gasohol sales were up from 200,000 litres a day early this year to two million.

Source: Bangkok Post

More great ideas to force everyone on the road at the same time :roll:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I didn't think that the restriction until midnight earlier this year had made any difference at all. I'm not even sure that it was enforced to any degree.
When I'm travelling the main road from Chumpon to HH at midnightish, the petrol stations appear to be open.
I can understand the incentives for people to change to gas though.