Tiny Minds

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Tiny Minds

Post by Heebio »

Another marvellous use of public money.... wonder if the gift sets will ever reach Isaan. If bar girls get any quicker or cleverer we're all in soap! :P

Thai babies get government gifts

Thailand has introduced a scheme to stimulate the IQ of newborn children.

Parents will receive a gift set which includes items like plastic books and CDs of lullabies, designed to promote thought and mental stimulation.

Thailand's health ministry estimates 700,000 gift sets will be distributed per year, at a cost of $7.5m.

Launching the programme, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Thailand needed to create a generation of quick and clever minds.

The gift set contains a variety of items. A multi-coloured blanket made from different textiles is intended to promote sight and touch.

Soft toys are included to stimulate tactile nerves, as is a floating plastic book which can be safely read in the bath.

Concerns have been raised in recent years that standards of education in Thailand have been slipping.

A recent survey showed that children over 10 years old read less than three minutes a day.

The government is considering a book start project in which free books will be given to children of all ages.

Source: BBC News
Never trust a hippy....
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

That floating book in the bath sounds just the job for me.
I'm going out later to order a bathtub. Wonder whether it'll work if I fill the tub with beer Chang? :cheers:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

I read this on the BBC a few days ago and credit where credit is due - I think they've actually got this one right, at least in principle. It is very similar to government schemes to promote literacy here in the UK, and having been a beneficiary (my youngest received a similar pack) I would say that it definitely promotes interest in books, words, pictures etc. from an early age. The statistics quoted in the article should not surprise any of us - few Thai houses that I have come across have any books in them at all, so at least this will give the adults something to read too!
buksida

Post by buksida »

I bet the luuk kreungs don't get any freebies though .... "Thai Ruk Thai" :cuss:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Yeah, that's an interesting one. Maybe you should mention it to your other half and she could make some enquiries on behalf of your little one. I'd be interested to discover the response you get. I think I'll start another thread on look kreung elswhere.