sceptics ??

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
pasathai
Amateur
Amateur

sceptics ??

Post by pasathai »

From the
bkk post ( no spell check it seems) or do the travel agents smelll bad? or what

Travel agents among sceptics

Local travel agents have joined the sceptics who believe Suvarnabhumi International Airport will not be ready for its scheduled official opening on Sept 28. The airport's readiness to accommodate travellers in large numbers remains very much in doubt, according to the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA).
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Sceptic - person who doubts truth of a (religious) doctrine, theory etc. Person inclined to question truth of facts, inferences etc. Philosopher who questions the possibility of knowledge.

I found that last one interesting.

Sure you aren't mistaking sceptic for septic?
Talk is cheap
pasathai
Amateur
Amateur

skeptics

Post by pasathai »

I've always seen it spelt with a K'

'skeptics

The Sceptics Dictionary
Definitions and essays on alternative medicine ideas and practices with references to the best skeptical...

Sceptics makes one think what are they really talking about
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Where are you from?
Talk is cheap
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Re: skeptics

Post by Jaime »

pasathai wrote:I've always seen it spelt with a K'

'skeptics

The Sceptics Dictionary
Definitions and essays on alternative medicine ideas and practices with references to the best skeptical...

Sceptics makes one think what are they really talking about
You must be one kool, krazy kat. Either that or you use a US dictionary. I am sure we could all klub together and buy you a proper one! :wink:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

As to the spelling, one is derived from the Latin “scepticusâ€
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Well, my tickets clearly state Bangkok Don Muang as the destination and I arrive quite some time after that.
pasathai
Amateur
Amateur

airport

Post by pasathai »

"I am going to join the sceptics, skeptics, and travel agents in thinking that the new airport is not going to be open on the 28th of September!"

did they mention what year?
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Steve is correct. Both spellings are correct but i think the Sk would only be found in a US dictionary currently. If you write sceptic in MS Word and run spell check it will come up with an error. If you change it to English UK it will not.

The Ske is from Greek and the Sce from Latin. Both mean the same thing i.e. disciple a school of skepticism mainly of Pyrrho of Elis. They are just Greek and Latin for exactly the same thing. Both the roots are Indo-European. I do have a US dictionary but is is always a good idea to have a proper one aswell.

Septic is something completely different. I have a septic tank in my house that makes turds disappear.

As I have not had it emptied for four years I am now becoming sceptical about the integrity of the installers and suspect that they have fitted some sort of extractor and are actually stealing the contents without paying me the going rate. Perhaps I am being a little too skeptical.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

What is confusing things even more is that there is a mad plan to move the IATA code BKK from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi when it opens for comercial flights.This means that if you have a ticket stating BKK you don’t know which one it will be! Now IATA have had to issue a temporary code of NBK to the new airport, just so they can fly aircraft in on trial flights, otherwise they would be having to file flight plans for BKK-BKK and you wouldn’t know whether you were coming or going!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I mean confusing in respect to the airport, and not Guess's magical septic tank!
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

STEVE G wrote:What is confusing things even more is that there is a mad plan to move the IATA code BKK from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi when it opens for comercial flights.This means that if you have a ticket stating BKK you don’t know which one it will be! Now IATA have had to issue a temporary code of NBK to the new airport, just so they can fly aircraft in on trial flights, otherwise they would be having to file flight plans for BKK-BKK and you wouldn’t know whether you were coming or going!
Which would lend weight to my skepticism regarding my sceptic tank being somehow linked with the delay of the opening of the new airport.

They could of course change to IATA code to KTM (written in Thai of course, Kaw Kwai, Taw Tao, Maw Maa) so that Thai people might be aware that they are actually on route to their own capital city.

Not knowing whether you are coming or going is not much of a problem here anyway. Most people are not that pedantic to worry about trivialities.

A mere fly past of Don Muang and then on to Suvarnabhumi if there is no parking space available would be perfectly acceptable. Also if there were enough passengers on the plane that were destined for Pattaya I am sure that if they clubbed together snd slipped the pilot a couple of thousand Baht he would land at U-Tapao.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]