Under the quivering doily, arf she said!

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I actually have an ipod here with about 5000 songs on it for my delectation. But, and here's the can of worms being opened! Digital music does not in my opinion sound anywhere near as good as vinyl. Ok I'm waiting for the barrage, but the timbre of vinyl played on a good system (I mean a good system not a cheap Binatone affair) far outweighs the hard edged sound of digital music.
www.35mmview.com
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Hear! Hear! No pun intended. Vinyl has a life & quality of it's own.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

A couple of points on these last few posts,

Randy. Vinyl has a shelf life (as does virtually every ma made substance). You need to get these vinyl copies digitised asap or risk losing them forever. I have guy doing this for me in CA right now. I am sure that there are services available in the UK. If you have enough vinyl originals it may well be feasible to buy your own kit and do it.

Digitisation as we know it come si many forms which have now culminated in the super condensed MP formats. The amount of data i finite. On vinyl it is infinite. The digital formats are seigned to fit in the audible range of the average human being. This has the problems of being audibly different to people with different ranges of audibility and it dispense the harmonis produced when audible and inaudible frequencies.

Dawn. It would be interesting to get the opinion from your dogs who I suspect would hear something completely different.

As for downloading from the Internet is concerned it can be done but obviously there are problems. Firstly you are using loopholes in copyright laws that allow music to be shared among friends but not to be resold. I have successfully downloaded about 100GB within the last year including about thirty Zappa tracks. The additional problem with that is that the US and other interested governemnts (including Thailand) are actively trying to close this loophole. I have seen evidence of it myself. What is being done right now is that free antivirus software is being distributed from very reputable companies that includes software that makes the use of Kazaa, Limewire and Soulseek more difficult. Additionally ISPs are tracking traffic and slowing down connections where large amounts of data are being transferred on the assumption that the data must be illegal copying. I believe that both TT&T and TOT do this.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I am not a scientist so don't know the shelf life of vinyl but I have records dating back to the early sixties and they still play like new. Of course they must be properly looked after. I mean anti static bags and regular needle changes etc.
But its not just the superior sound of vinyl i like its also the art work you used to get with an album. This seems sadly lacking now. Then there's the smell of a new record...Hmmmm and the thump as you put the needle down, the actual sight of the arm traversing across the record instead of your little shiny disc being sucked into an ominous black box.
Its just, well you know. Its just better. :D
www.35mmview.com