Yank Needs Assist?

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

Yank Needs Assist?

Post by PeteC »

Much to the dismay of us Yanks (at least this one) most English language puzzles in the Kingdom have a British slant concerning content. Let's see if you guys can help with below. :cheers: Pete

Dart Line (4)
_ _ H _

Former British Coin (6)
_ L _ R _ _

Pub Game (3,9)
B _ R _ I _ _ _ A _ D _

and....I'll throw this one in for good measure as don't know if British or not?

Large Sherry Glass (8)
_ C _ _ _ N _ _

Get's a bit boring here in rainy season, doesn't it?..LOL
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Former British Coin (6)
_ L _ R _ _
Florin (10 pence)

Pub Game (3,9)
B _ R _ I _ _ _ A _ D _
Bar Billiards
Large Sherry Glass (
_ C _ _ _ N _ _
Schooner
Dart Line (4)
_ _ H _
Oche
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Edd Case

Post by Edd Case »

the coin is a florin - the old two bob (shilling) bit/piece
the game is bar billiards
the glass is a schooner

I'll chew over the other @ breakfast !!
"The older I get ....the better I remember I was."
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:? :? Deerrrrrrrrr, Edd, there's a clue in the previous posting :? :?

Points 48; Position 20
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Well done on the oche. That stumped me. Dart to me is the railway line that goes around Dublin Bay or a river in Devon so I was on the wrong track altogether.

As for Florin, I am surprised Pete. I am fairly sure that the main coin of currency in the US prior to the introduction of the Dollar was the Florin. I may be wrong though It might have been the Crown that was one quarter of a pound and often referred to as a dollar.

As for the puzzles (and cartoons) in the English written Thai papers are concerned, they are all copied from vatious British publications.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

And the prize goes to BB, thanks!

The Florin, I don't remember seeing that in Amer. his....but you know us colonists, dust in the eyes from following the plow all day and fighting swarms of locusts..paying the company store with barter goods etc...LOL.

But, hold the phone on " Schooner". I've heard of a schooner of ale and a schooner of rum but, never a schooner of sherry...sounds a bit poofy to me. :P Pete
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's a type of glass, isn't it?
Edd Case

Post by Edd Case »

Cheers BB - came onto the forum circa 0750hrs - my computing assistant was trying to wash his JCB in the bidet - we compromised and he used the shower instead !! Think he may have clicked/sent when he was banished from the bathroom while I mopped up as when I returned I completed my posting - on previewing I saw your admirable contribution and so deleted mine - was most surprised to see part of it in print later.

I too had thought "oche" but on checking the OED could not find an entry and wasn't too sure - nota darts/pub man - where does it originate from????

Pete - yes a schooner glass for sherry also a pony glass for the same cannot remember which was larger. 25 yrs since I was "learning" the trade (student days didn't pusue - I was the bouncer!). Personally, never heard for ale/rum ....interesting.
"The older I get ....the better I remember I was."
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Edd,

Throw your OED in the bin, try this: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/patrick.chapl ... y_oche.htm

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Edd Case wrote: Pete - yes a schooner glass for sherry also a pony glass for the same cannot remember which was larger. 25 yrs since I was "learning" the trade (student days didn't pusue - I was the bouncer!). Personally, never heard for ale/rum ....interesting.
You're right Edd, I was thinking tankard of ale/rum. It must be the nautical theme of these glasses that has me foggy, or perhaps the patch on my left eye and the farting parrot on my right shoulder? :shock:

I'm a sad man today and not even a Brit. Again with a non professional eye, I say they played very well shorthanded and would have had it in regulation time if not for a few shanked shots. I for one feel badly for them and all their loyal fans. I assume this Sunday both London and Rio are very quiet places. :( Pete
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Pete,

You got me on a littel research mission on the schooner bit. I have seen someone has already done the oche bit which I had never heard before.

I spent most of my early life in England and grew up knowing a schooner as a small fast sailing boat. I have now discovered that they were common around the time of the War of Independence and continued development in teh newly formed US.

It was only when I reached drinking age that I heard the term relating to a glass. I never ever did find out what the connection between boat and glass was. Hwoever a few drinls accessiories had specila versions made because of the movement of the boat at se. A Ship's decanter for example which is bottom heaby and will slide around the table but not fall over. I assumed that the glass schooner may have had some connection like that.

The surprise I have now had is that all references web wide and in my dictionary descibe the schoober as an Australian beer glass.

In England a beer glass is a beer glass and if you want one with a handle it is a beer mug.

I have definitely heard the term schooner as a glass for sherry in England and I am sure it is used in the US also if you frequent top restaurants. Sherry BTW is in no way poofy. It is a Spanish Drink that is server chilled and the dry ones slways as an aperetif. The sweeter ones have now gaine da bit of an image as a Vicar's and Old Ladies drink.

So the origin of schooner as a glass is still a mystery.

My coments on the soccer are on the soccer thread.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well, I've heard of a snifter(sp) of brandy but I assume you could have a schooner of brandy as well. I guess a snifter is a small schooner?

We have some Ozites on here, maybe they can confirm the Australian schooner deal. :cheers: Pete
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I thought a schooner in Oz related to the size of the glass? A bit more than half a pint as I recall? I usually prefer a "stubby". If no-one comes through on this I'll check with my nephew who helps run a bar in Oz.
Talk is cheap
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Never heard of a schooner of sherry.
In Australia a schooner is a beer glass that is in size, smaller than a pint but bigget than a 1/2 pint.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

chelsea wrote:Never heard of a schooner of sherry.
In Australia a schooner is a beer glass that is in size, smaller than a pint but bigget than a 1/2 pint.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Chelsea, what is the price difference between a schooner, 1/2 pint and pint? Why would they do 3 sizes? Pete :o