Same words different translations

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

Re: Same words different translations

Post by PeteC »

American exchange student teenager in London: " Teacher: Kevin, don't you have a rubber on your pencil? Kevin: Wait a sec teach...I've got one in my pocket and I'll put it on the pencil. What you going to do with it? :shock: :duck:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

American English - suspenders = braces in the UK. An American going to buy a pair of suspenders in London would raise an eyebrow or two.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

First floor vs ground floor. I'm not sure I even want to go into that. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:20 pm American English - suspenders = braces in the UK. An American going to buy a pair of suspenders in London would raise an eyebrow or two.
So would a Brit :shock: :wink: :D
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A "spanner" will and probably does confuse most Americans.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

...as does snow sledge instead of sled.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

In the US elevators do not have a 13th floor, as is the case here. Do they in England?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It varies, some do some don't. The same with house numbers. Some streets have a number 13 and some don't.
The same here in Thailand. Some buildings have a 13th floor and some don't. Some commercial buildings take the British floor numbers, i.e. ground then 1st etc, and others the American system with no 'ground floor'.
There are several stories where Americans have rented a 1st floor flat in London expecting to find a garden!