Same words different translations

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Same words different translations

Post by migrant »

OK I've heard it before but in food trivia when Big Boy said
Big Boy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:29 pm Old English Faggots is the only thing on the list making my mouth water - I'd love to hear where they are available.
It got me wondering. I'm sure most all know the different meaning of the word Faggot between England and the States
but how many other words have such a different meaning and could be misinterpreted?

A good friend from England was in a bar in the states. It was a busy bar and he got in front of a microphone and called to his mate who was getting some drinks, "Hey bring a couple Faggots back too!"

He immediately realized what the other people in the bar thought, since it went pretty quiet, and explained.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Re: Same words different translations

Post by PeteC »

A Fag is also a cigarette in colloquial British English.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bacon is not the same thing at all, and I'm sure many surprised when ordering breakfast when visiting either side of the pond.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My favourite is Crumpet. I'm sure you can find some nice ones on soi 80? :laugh:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:10 am A Fag is also a cigarette in colloquial British English.
Yes, that's what my friend in the bar wanted, but us yanks thought different!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

'Fanny Pack'
'Sitting on your fanny!'

Used to have great fun teaching differences in American English and British English at a university here.

Try telling a girl in the UK that she has a nice fanny!
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

A Faggot is also a bundle of firewood
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

There's always the good old Rubber. In England its that thing clearing water from your "windscreen". In the US (I was a little tot at the time) it was whay we put over our shoes on rainy days.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

At my daughter's British IS they also call an eraser on the end of a pencil a "rubber". :shock: Pete :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:40 pm At my daughter's British IS they also call an eraser on the end of a pencil a "rubber". :shock: Pete :cheers:
Well of course :D
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

PeteC wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:40 pm At my daughter's British IS they also call an eraser on the end of a pencil a "rubber". :shock: Pete :cheers:
Yeh, that's the common meaning of a rubber in the UK and in American English I believe it's a condom!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

RCer wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:26 pm There's always the good old Rubber. In England its that thing clearing water from your "windscreen". In the US (I was a little tot at the time) it was whay we put over our shoes on rainy days.
Never heard 'rubber' referring to 'wipers' or 'wiper blades'.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

RCer wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:26 pm There's always the good old Rubber. In England its that thing clearing water from your "windscreen". In the US (I was a little tot at the time) it was whay we put over our shoes on rainy days.
Never heard of that? . . . . we call them windscreen wipers or just wipers. (crossed over posts with HHTel)

As has been pointed out, an eraser and a condom for the word rubber. :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Just dawned on me, rubbers were for cleaning chalk boards in school. My mistake. We called them erasers.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Reminds me of Jasper Carrot's joke about bollocks.

When asked in the US what 'bollocks' meant, he told them that it was English slang for 'zits'.

Then hoped this guy ever came to the UK and went into Boots for some cream for his bollocks (zits)!