Passing of a good friend...

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Passing of a good friend...

Post by hhfarang »

Rocky, a squirrel living in a tree in my back yard was found dead directly under the nest this morning. This little guy/gal came to my back door nearly every day for the past year since I've been living here for a handout. I kept a box of peanuts on hand just for him and his mates. He/she was easily recognizable by the scar above the eye that was there for a while. He died of unknown causes as there were no visible signs of trauma (other than the aforementioned eye). He leaves a wife (seen them together many times) and many other squirrels that played together with him (maybe family?).

He will be sorely missed by me and my wife as he provided us with much entertainment as he ate our peanuts and played.
P1020346.JPG
P1000721.JPG
P1000721.JPG (243.34 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
P1000733.JPG
P1000733.JPG (219.05 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
P1000696.JPG
P1000696.JPG (127.46 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
Rest In Peace Rocky
P1000756.JPG
P1000756.JPG (71.54 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
P1000758.JPG
P1000758.JPG (122.39 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
P1000761.JPG
P1000761.JPG (125.91 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
P1000760.JPG
P1000760.JPG (140.36 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Re: Passing of a good friend...

Post by PeteC »

You're not alone in this HHF. I knew many people, including my parents, who lived in a semi-rural area and had squirrel visitors, with one usually becoming a regular. They're akin to a domestic pet and are missed when gone. I'm sure others have been watching and you'll have a new regular in due course. Chin up. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Some have a problem with them, thinking of them as nothing above furry tailed rats..... :roll: Personally, I, like the both of you take great pleasure in seeing them. We have one that visits our garden regularly in the UK and it's been fun to make some "tests" for him (or her) to pass in order to get at the nuts...... I may well be an engineer, but the squirrel always gets the best of me!! :oops: :D

Sad news HHF but as Pete says (whilst no replacement), there's sure to be more visitors!! :thumb:

Has to be said, I'm very much an animal lover - greatly more than people at times!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote: Has to be said, I'm very much an animal lover - greatly more than people at times!!

:cheers: :cheers:
Agreed!

Sorry to hear HHF. When we lived in Maine the squirrels gave us many hours of entertainment!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

migrant wrote:.... When we lived in Maine the squirrels gave us many hours of entertainment!!
Yes, in LA they all wear sunglasses, gold chains and cruise around in low-riders, and don't visit too often. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:
migrant wrote:.... When we lived in Maine the squirrels gave us many hours of entertainment!!
Yes, in LA they all wear sunglasses, gold chains and cruise around in low-riders, and don't visit too often. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Plus their paparazzi just gets to be too much!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.