England should drop God save the Queen

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
pharvey

England should drop God save the Queen

Post by pharvey »

An interesting one which has been raised countless times in pubs and throughout the terraces..... and now it seems it's reached Parliament - personally I think it's high time they did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/england/35300285

A Labour MP thinks there should be an English-only anthem and raised the subject in the House of Commons on Wednesday.

Olympian Roger Black says God save the Queen is one of the best anthems in the world.

However, the former world 400m champion thinks athletes from Scotland and Wales show more passion when singing their respective anthems, Flower of Scotland and Land of my Fathers.

Speaking on ITV's Good Morning Britain, Black said: "It has to stir passion. It has to make you well up with pride."

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: England should drop God save the Queen

Post by oakdale160 »

GSTQ is the BRITISH National anthem, so the English fans are singing an anthem that covers Wales and Scotland too.

Blakes Jerusalem with its talk of " Englands green and pleasant land" is very stirring. Not too difficult to sing.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Long overdue and 'Jeruselam' would be the overwhelming favourite.

As it's now reached the parliament stage, we may see it being used for English sporting teams around about 2028 :roll: :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I heard they were changing it to "He's got the whole world in his hands" :duck:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I see on BBC News there is a comment that the British National Anthem should be changed and I couldn't agree more, what a boring, somber tune GSTQ is, we want something which stirs the heart, how about Land of Hope and Glory, it's always fantastic at the Last Night of the Proms.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35312314
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Some problems with LOHAG. 'Wider still and wider shall thou bounds be set" and 'God who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet" Not quite PC enough for many of the chattering classes.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Then when comes the English Parliament? There are Scotish and Welch ones. Then english parliament could decide on the English Anthem. Elton John could sing it.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I think out of respect to our wonderful Queen we should should keep GSTQ until she has died. Maybe then, we can consider some other anthem. Yes, it could be Land of hope and glory. But please wait until the time is right :tsk:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But wouldn't it be seen as a major positive step if the Queen promoted this idea
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well yes it would, but is she likely to do so - the Queen normally remains completely neutral on public matters?