"Me" instead of "My"

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

"Me" instead of "My"

Post by hhfarang »

I've noticed the frequent use of "me" for "my" in (I assume) British posters' prose on here. I thought that was only used by pirates, prostitutes, dockworkers, and the generally uneducated masses in Briton. Am I wrong? Is it officially a part of the Queen's English, or are there a lot of the aforementioned types posting on this forum? :P
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Re: "Me" instead of "My"

Post by arcadianagain »

Of course both words are correct, it depends on the context, you will have be more specific. Now, if you really want to be taken seriously regarding education please note that we come from Britain and we are Britons.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It's a regional colloquialism from the Midlands, Americans can learn to say it as well:

Angelina Jolie saying 'Ay up me duck!'
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/g ... -1-6961774
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It's used as a joke, as in the I miss me footie thread.
Talk is cheap
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

STEVE G wrote:It's a regional colloquialism from the Midlands, Americans can learn to say it as well:
Also used widely in Belfast and the north of Ireland generally, as in the traditional children's song "I'll tell me ma".
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Loverly, just loverly. Bonus points for where that word comes from? :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Being exposed to British foundation and primary school education here these past nine years, there are plenty of literacy books and texts where "me" instead of "my" is used, usually in fiction and verse. When asked, my daughter has never said "me" was criticized by any teacher she's had when it comes to literacy, but none in her class has ever dared to use it verbally when answering questions. :D It's just accepted as part of the language used more so in the past than at present. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

prcscct wrote:Loverly, just loverly. Bonus points for where that word comes from? :D Pete :cheers:
My Fair Lady. Eliza Doolittle.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Another can of worms, when to use I or me. The Queen never says "me and my husband" or "my husband and me"
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

arcadianagain wrote:Another can of worms, when to use I or me. The Queen never says "me and my husband" or "my husband and me"
A lot of people struggle with this but it's fairly straight forward and depends on the presence or absence of another party:

"Bob and I went to the shops" or "Bob and me went to the shops". The correct construction without another party is "I went to the shops" and not "me went to the shops".

The Queen would say "My husband and me" is asked the question "Who are the oldest Royals in England"? because should would know not to answer "I" if she were only referring to herself.

As for the 'me' vs. 'my', you will find that it's not actually using the term "me" to replace "my" but likely a shortened version of "my" pronounced "me" but written simply as "m' " with an apostrophe to replace the missing letter "y": "I miss m' footie"
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

arcadianagain wrote:
prcscct wrote:Loverly, just loverly. Bonus points for where that word comes from? :D Pete :cheers:
My Fair Lady. Eliza Doolittle.
Correct. Us old guys really know our trivia! :thumb: I'm personally filled with knowledge, most of it totally useless and meaningless. :shock: :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The Thais have it right: "ME first". :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

J.J.B. wrote:
arcadianagain wrote:Another can of worms, when to use I or me. The Queen never says "me and my husband" or "my husband and me"
A lot of people struggle with this but it's fairly straight forward and depends on the presence or absence of another party:

"Bob and I went to the shops" or "Bob and me went to the shops". The correct construction without another party is "I went to the shops" and not "me went to the shops".

The Queen would say "My husband and me" is asked the question "Who are the oldest Royals in England"? because should would know not to answer "I" if she were only referring to herself.

As for the 'me' vs. 'my', you will find that it's not actually using the term "me" to replace "my" but likely a shortened version of "my" pronounced "me" but written simply as "m' " with an apostrophe to replace the missing letter "y": "I miss m' footie"
Good post. I was wondering how to explain it
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

^ Despite the shocking auto-complete/auto-correct errors and my laziness in going back to check!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde