We're run by numbers

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
lomuamart

We're run by numbers

Post by lomuamart »

As it's pouring outside and I've just finished reading a interesting newspaper article, thought I'd try and test the theory. So:
1. Take out your bank card. Write out the 16 digit number. Now cross out the first digit and every second one thereafter. Double the value of the crossed out digits. If that value comes to a double digit number, add the two digits together. Now total the 8 new digits with the 8 uncrossed out, original ones and the total will always be a multiple of 10.
It works for my cards. It's designed to help prevent card fraud and mistakes occurring when you enter your number for an online purchase. Amazing :shock:
2. Bar codes. Same principle except cross out the second digit and then every other one. Multiply by 3 and if that number is double digit, leave it as it is - don't add the two digits together. The total of new and original digits will again be a multiple of 10.
This isn't to stop fraud it's to make sure the item has been scanned correctly. :shock: :shock:

Take a look at the full article http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014 ... rld-afloat and see how the tax man in the UK uses similar systems to combat dodgy tax receipts and even how text messages and digital TV eventually are run by numbers :shock: :shock: :shock: