United Kingdom Time Changing

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

United Kingdom Time Changing

Post by kendo »

Just a little reminder that British Summer Time ends 01.00 Sunday morning and will revert back one hour to Greenwich Mean Time so seven hours time difference.

As we say " The nights are drawing in". :roll:

Kendo.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
PeteC

Re: United Kingdom Time Changing

Post by PeteC »

kendo wrote:Just a little reminder that British Summer Time ends 01.00 Sunday morning and will revert back one hour to Greenwich Mean Time so seven hours time difference.

As we say " The nights are drawing in". :roll: Kendo.
I wish "the coalition" would get their act together. The US is Nov. 2 I think.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I think in EU it has allways been the last weekend in october and last weekend in march we have to put up with this BS

:cheers: :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

bsdk1960 wrote:I think in EU it has allways been the last weekend in october and last weekend in march we have to put up with this BS

Certainly it happens at 03:00 on Sunday here in Luxembourg as well. Normally these changes just annoy me but I have to work a night shift on Sunday night so an extra hours sleep the night before won't go amiss.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

STEVE G wrote:
bsdk1960 wrote:I think in EU it has allways been the last weekend in october and last weekend in march we have to put up with this BS

Certainly it happens at 03:00 on Sunday here in Luxembourg as well. Normally these changes just annoy me but I have to work a night shift on Sunday night so an extra hours sleep the night before won't go amiss.
:agree: but I remember I was reading a article some years ago that claim the idea about summer time
was not that beneficial about saving electricity as we were told when we switch to summer time and back.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

STEVE G wrote: Certainly it happens at 03:00 on Sunday here in Luxembourg as well. Normally these changes just annoy me but I have to work a night shift on Sunday night so an extra hours sleep the night before won't go amiss.
What about the poor buggers working the night shift on Saturday? They need to work an extra hour. BUT......I feel with EU rules, they'll be paid for that extra hour? :mrgreen:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

No Pete we stop an hour early. :D

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Please look at Thailand. They're on the same longitude as Singapore which is an hour ahead and on Hong Kong time, but Thailand refuses to shift based upon the farmers need (I guess :roll: ) for it to be lighter in the mornings. The financial markets here would benefit considerably by a shift and being linked with market openings in SNG and HK, and only an hour behind Tokyo, and three behind Sydney, rather than half a working day. Thailand SET opens, Australia goes to lunch as it is now.

This is one of those things where they should just do it, announce it, and I bet few would think or say anything here except the journalists who need to write something and stir controversy to justify their existence. A Thai farmer doesn't care.....light or dark, just like farmers everywhere,...he gets up and gets on with it. He may not even own a watch, but a change would make his country more wealthy. Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Please look at Thailand. They're on the same longitude as Singapore which is an hour ahead and on Hong Kong time,
Actualy, based on longitude, Thailand time is correct. Singapore changed into line with Hong Kong many years ago because of the financial markets.

Australia is spread out over such a vast distance, like the US, that there are 3 different time zones, before some eastern states go to "summer time".

The most bizarre is New Zealand, which is the maxium 12 hours ahead of GMT. When they go to "summer time, it puts them 13 hours ahead of GMT. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

The time change is the same all over the EU.
The U.K. may discover the change sooner or later. Probably later.

Should the U.K. resign from the EU after changing to winter time, winter time will apply all year.

If in doubt, keep an ear to the BBC and do keep a stiff upper lip.

:cheers:
A friend is only one click away
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The UK introduced 'daylight saving time' almost 100 years ago. Since then it has varied through various 'experiments'. At one time the UK was 2 hours ahead of GMT and later, winter time was abolished and the UK remained in BST for the whole of the year. Currently and for the last 30 or 40 years or so, it's bee 'Spring forward 1 hour' and 'Fall back one hour.

Incidentally, in the 60's, Singapore (where I was living) was in 'Golf Hotel (GH)' time at 7 and a half hours over GMT and HK at thee time was 9 hours ahead. There have been lots of variations over the years and the reasons vary from giving the farmers more daylight to making it safer for children travelling to school in the morning.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal as long as everyone knows what time it is and where!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

prcscct wrote:
STEVE G wrote: Certainly it happens at 03:00 on Sunday here in Luxembourg as well. Normally these changes just annoy me but I have to work a night shift on Sunday night so an extra hours sleep the night before won't go amiss.
What about the poor buggers working the night shift on Saturday? They need to work an extra hour. BUT......I feel with EU rules, they'll be paid for that extra hour? :mrgreen:
Yes, you work an extra hour and get paid for it but who needs an extra hours work at 03:00? Incidentally, the reason why they do it at three here is because that's when the late night bars close. ( You don't get the extra hour before you ask! )
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The US is 0200 hours.

"..... Why two o'clock? The thinking goes it's late enough that most people would be at home, with few bars and restaurants being affected. In addition, it prevented the date from switching to yesterday; it would be confusing if, say, we changed the clocks at midnight back to 11 p.m. The time is also early enough that the clock-hand change occurs before early shift workers and early churchgoers might be impacted, according to the WebExhibits, an online museum.

Turning clocks back in the fall could mean an extra hour at bars, which tend to close at 2 a.m., right? Not so, according to the California Energy Commission. Bars actually close at 1:59 a.m., so they are already closed when daylight saving time begins. ...."
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote:Australia is spread out over such a vast distance, like the US, that there are 3 different time zones, before some eastern states go to "summer time".
The one I find incredible is China which spans something like 5 time zones, but actually works to a single time zone.....
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ What does that mean? :shock: Eastern coastal cities are normal and people in Tibet getting up 5 hours before dawn and going to bed 5 hours before dark? What the hell! :roll: