Thank you, Khun Thaksin

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
buksida

Thank you, Khun Thaksin

Post by buksida »

This letter from the Bangkok Post caught my eye and made me giggle:

Thank you, Khun Thaksin

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Khun Thaksin most sincerely for all the wonderful measures he has introduced since he became Thailand's benevolent leader.

Firstly, so long ago now, was the "no smoking" law that his government introduced for restaurants and hotels. As a non-smoker, I have benefited greatly from this measure and have enjoyed a pure smoke-free atmosphere when dining alone in one of the empty air-conditioned restaurants that are slowly going bankrupt in central Bangkok.

Unfortunately, in order to accommodate my smoking friends _ residents and visitors alike _ I have frequently had to suffer Bangkok's heat and traffic pollution whilst dining in outdoor terraces where smoking is allowed. It is an interesting experience for my tourist friends who are not acclimatised to Bangkok's heat.

Of course, there are the bars that are restaurants _ and the restaurants that are bars _ that seem to escape this rule. I once dined at a restaurant where smoking was permitted at the bar but not at the tables _ only to have all the ashtrays on the bar removed when the proprietor discovered that one of my guests was a member of the constabulary.

Never mind, one can always go upcountry where no one has heard of these laws, and where my guests and I can dine and smoke in air-conditioned comfort with impunity.

So, thank you Khun Thaksin, for being so solicitous of my health.

Then there is the law that closes the entertainment places at 1am. What a boon to a farang with a penchant for imbibing alcohol in the wee hours. Thanks to Khun Thaksin, I am now able to snuggle down to a good movie by no later than 1.30am _ much healthier than drinking the night away.

Unfortunately, the same laws do not seem to apply to establishments patronised by Thais, so when my Thai partner has a night out with her friends, she has no problems in drinking and dancing the night away, returning home at any time between 3 and 5am. I thought I read somewhere that these laws were aimed at Thai youth? I must be mistaken.

So, thank you Khun Thaksin for getting all those nasty tourists and farang residents safely tucked up in their homes and hotels, and leaving the town free for our Thai brothers and sisters to cavort the night away.

Then there is the law restricting the sale of alcohol in the afternoon. This really is of great benefit, as it encourages me to do my shopping in the morning rush hour, or the lunch-time rush hour, rather than await the quiet period in mid-afternoon, and now I can see how the other half lives and contribute even more to the oil bills.

Of course, one can always track down one of the few super-expensive supermarkets in central Bangkok, where such laws are not invoked, or as with the smoking laws, one can drive out of Bangkok, where such restrictions simply do not apply. I have frequently been faced with puzzled, uncomprehending stares when inquiring in an upcountry minimart whether I could buy a few cans of beer at three in the afternoon.

A similar situation exists on the restrictions on buying alcohol on election days, Buddhist Lent, etc. These laws simply do not apply for vast swathes of the country outside of the main metropolises.

Anyway, Khun Thaksin, the thought was there, and I appreciate it.

And now to your wonderful proposal to shut down our TVs at midnight. Oh dear, I won't be able to cuddle down to a good movie anymore. Never mind, I'll buy a VCR so that I can tape movies in the daytime and watch them after midnight. I'd never thought of "programme re-scheduling" before. I wonder if it is more energy-efficient than watching live television? And if I forget to tape anything, I could actually read a book!

I am so grateful to Khun Thaksin for not only getting me off the streets at night, but also forcing me to better myself by taking up reading. However, I can't help feeling a little sympathy for all those venal tourists who, having been chased home by the bewitching hour, (assuming they haven't been arrested for not carrying their passports with them) can't even catch up on a nice movie, or check with CNN to see what's been going on in the wide world outside of Thailand.

MOBI D'ARK
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Post by Heebio »

Boy's got a point....
Never trust a hippy....
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

The link isn't working anymore !
It seems, the " big brother " has become active again!?
Some people do themselves hard with the truth or black humor.

Another defeat for Amazing Thailand !
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Post by PeteB »

Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

From the same link, this is the text of the letter that made me chuckle:

British tourists

The British Foreign Office has just released the results of a survey looking into why young Britons, aged 18-30, go on holiday. If the TAT wants to attract tourists back to post-tsunami Thailand, it should nip round to the British Embassy and get a copy, pronto.

The report (which runs to 79 pages) reveals that the most popular reason for going on holiday is "to drink to excess" answered by 75%. A further 8% wanted to take drugs; 28% were looking for casual sex and 5% were looking for a fight (except among respondents from the east of England, where 20% wanted a fight).

It reports that the most popular holidays are known as "home-plus", meaning you get everything you have at home (English food, beer, newspapers, etc) plus a couple of extras, such as sunshine and sex.

DOM DUNN
London
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

More letters from the BKK Post:

"A policy that leaves one parched

The other day my wife and I ventured into a Japanese restaurant at the Emporium to have lunch. We ordered our dishes and I asked for a beer. I was told: Sorry, it is against the law to serve me a beer with my lunch.

Huh? What kind of madness is this? If this government persists with these absurd policies, the only thing "Unseen In Thailand" will be the tourists."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/05Jul2005_opin46.php
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Lev wrote:
Huh? What kind of madness is this? If this government persists with these absurd policies, the only thing "Unseen In Thailand" will be the tourists."
There seems to be plenty of laws on the books that apply to Farangs only. One that comes quickly to mind is having relations with any lass under 18. You show me ANY case where a Thai has been apprehended for this. The Thai's laugh at this law but it is dead serious for foreigners.

On the other hand, this new drinking law should apply to Thai's only as their behaviour was what prompted it in the first place, not Farang tourist behaviour. Makes perfect sense to me which means we will not see it happen in several lifetimes. :cuss: Pete
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Forgot to mention something yesterday concerning alcohol sales. Walked into Tesco Lotus at 0930 the other morning. Picked up a case of Heineken and headed to the check out. A sign written in Thai was shoved in my face by the cashier saying something like I can't buy any booze before 1100 hours. Then her supervisor walked up and told me that if I bought 2 cases, it would be OK. Thai law...don't ya just love it!! :roll: Pete
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

prcscct wrote:
Lev wrote:
There seems to be plenty of laws on the books that apply to Farangs only. One that comes quickly to mind is having relations with any lass under 18. You show me ANY case where a Thai has been apprehended for this. The Thai's laugh at this law but it is dead serious for foreigners.

The thai law states that thais can have sex at 16 or above but for good ol' falangs the age limit is raised to 18! Hence thais are 'privliged' in the age limit thing. Something to do with keeping thai girls for the thai lads first and for the falang second!