Thais and the ATM

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
buksida

Thais and the ATM

Post by buksida »

What is it with Thai people and the ATM?

The confounding enigma that is the money making voodoo box in the wall baffles crowds of people. They are either huddled round the magic unit in awe at the flashing lights and huge sums of money displayed while having a conference over what button to press next while a queue longer than that at the ticket stand for a nude Shakira concert forms behind them.

Or one brave nominee will take all the ATM cards from his family, friends, colleagues, neighbours, and the woman at the som tam stand and proceed to take out and transfer small sums of money between them while a queue longer than that at the ticket stand .....

If they had a big sign on the thing explaining to people that you really don't need to remove and replace the card everytime you want to transfer andther 134 baht to uncle Sombats account it would alleviate the confusion.

We British are very proud of our queue discipline which seems to be lost on Thais who often are suddenly afflicted by total blindness when there is a farang standing there. They sometimes do regain vision and you get a sheepish grin from them as if to say "I do know how to operate this thing .... honest".

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Mr Lee
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr Lee »

You want to be glad that you live in Thailand and not India!,

The installation of an new ATM would be a reason to hold a new festival. Half the local population would be crowded round the damn thing expecting Vishnu, cricket or a new bollywood movie to appear on it!!.

Whilst Im here......Im in H.H. next weekend for a few weeks, does anyone know what my chances of catching any Championship footy on the box is out there?.....especially LCFC!! or is it premiership only out there!, which bar(s) are the best to meet like minded footy loving expats to watch the footy and sink a few singhas with??

Its freezing cold back here in blighty!!!!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Do you seriously want to be standing at an ATM on the 31st/1st of the month?
Most Thais are checking that their salary went in.
Just consider what they could do with a computer and internet banking.
Seriously though, waiting for a while and then being queue jumped does make me angry. A few harsh words normally suffices.
Clipped
Novice
Novice

Post by Clipped »

hah this thought as been pondering the back of my head for ages...

its almost like they dont trust what they read on the atm screen...or its like a temporary case of attention deficit disorder.