What is your Passion in Life?

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

What is your Passion in Life?

Post by PeteC »

This in a way is a follow on to Vital Spark's thread "Pivotal moments in life".

What is it that you would really love to be doing that you're not. Everyone has that little niggle in the back of their head, probably since childhood, that you would like to be doing something but for one reason or another have never been able to, at least to a degree that you can say you are living and doing what you're passionate about. Relationships, marriage, children, money, work, unforeseen circumstances......all these things have gotten in the way over the years.

Some people will say they are passionate about their careers, but I think in most cases they have talked themselves into that response to feel better, and are blocking what they really would like to be pursuing in life. I have no idea what the percentage is of those who have hit the bullseye and are doing exactly what they had planned and love doing, but it must be small.... very, very small.

I'm personally not sure if I know any longer. I've gotten so crusty those old thoughts and dreams have all but evaporated.

Have a go if you feel like it and tell us your story. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Re: What is your Passion in Life?

Post by buksida »

Travelling more.
PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:57 pm Relationships, marriage, children, money, work, unforeseen circumstances......all these things have gotten in the way over the years.
All of that is getting in the way!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I'd agree with Buksida!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I've always had a passion for anything with four legs (especially horses). My dream when I was younger was to live in a farm house and be surrounded by horses, dogs, cats, etc. Apparently, when I was a toddler I terrified my mother by wrapping my arms around any dog that we came across. She was convinced that I would get bitten - I never did.

My passion now is travel, and I feel privileged that both Mr.VS and I can realise that passion. I still love all kinds of animals, but taking care of them would certainly not allow extensive travel. I'm glad that I didn't marry a farmer (which was my aim) and be restricted by all that comes with a farming life. Luckily, I have friends in the UK who have horses, dogs, goats, and sheep. I can get my 'fix' without all the hassle of taking care of them. :wink:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

62 yrs. as a musician fulfilled my main passion as did going to China. Now I'm 79 and would still like to be playing music but that's not an option here. At least for what I'd like to play. So, in my case, living here has thwarted my passion. Marriage, children, money, relationships & other jobs never deterred me.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Anything mechanical and shooting guns.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

A nice thread, Pete. I'm enjoying reading people's posts. :)

For around 30 years I did a job I really enjoyed (and nothing I hated before that either). In a small but global niche industry, you make friends worldwide over the years, and have lots of interesting travel experiences, with too much clubbing and fine dining, plus good pay thrown in!

When the industry changed a lot in recent years (and I didn't) I decided enough was enough and came to the LOS to relax with a loving and supportive wife of more than 40 years acquaintance by my side, and my dog. I don't believe I regret anything I did or didn't do except a couple of things (see below), and my bucket list is very small.

I regret not seeing enough of my mum and dad after 2004 when I started my expat life. I think so many of us feel that, and feel it even more keenly once they're gone.

Music has always sent chills up my spine, and I would have loved more than anything to play drums; jazz, rock, even Ringo Starr style! But after my dad never let me use his kit (which he sold anyway because we were proper poor) and the school gave me a clarinet instead, I took the hint that it wasn't going to be. I touched Keith Moon once though....

:)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Although you may have a lifetime passion that stays with you for decades, it’s also possible for your passions to change over time.

I played football from late teens until 40 years of age, not at the highest standard but it was still enjoyable and winning the local minnows Cup was almost as satisfying as lifting the FA Cup for the big boys.

One of my life-long passions after getting married was growing fruit and veg -I had 2 allotments in the UK (at different times) and grew an amazing array of vegetables and more in my home gardens, various types of fruit. It wasn’t for cost saving reasons but mainly for taste - for those who have a similar passion you will understand- I can still vividly recall picking early new potatoes, finger sized carrots, freshly picked peas and with some lamb chops and mint sauce, probably my all time favorite meal.

I was fortunate to have a father in law who was a qualified building surveyor and with his (considerable) help and guidance we built home extensions on two of the houses we lived in - the first a simple single stores rear extension and then on our next house, a more ambitious 2 stormy side extension and virtually all of the work done between the two of us - I learned an awful lot in the process.

In my working life I was lucky enough to spend a fair chunk of it working overseas and have lived and travelled to a lot of countries and experienced so many different cultures, food styles, etc.

Now I’m happily retired living in Thailand and whilst I still try to grow some fruit and veg, much of what I would like to grow is difficult or not possible because of the high temperatures, but there again I was never able to grow mangoes, bananas or pineapples in the UK so it’s a bit of give and take. I am also quite passionate about cooking and baking and do a lot of it myself, which also helps to pass the time and allows us to eat a bit more healthily knowing what ingredients have gone into our food (i.e. no Soy or MSG!!).
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Not quite on topic, but very close. Over the years, I have made some bad career choices, usually not quitting early enough, but I have no regrets. You tend to regret the things that you didn't do rather than the things that you did.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Done most of my travelling, now it's trying something different.
Developed a passion for fixing things from a young age helping my father - back then most car repairs could be done in your driveway. Changing a VW beetle clutch with a friend in an afternoon, years later fiddling with turbo cars and ECU mods. Having trained as an aircraft mechanic helped, aircraft was always something I wanted to do.
Mum taught piano, but I played trumpet in the school band and gravitated to classical guitar. Later got interested in electronic keyboards mainly because of the flashing lights and myriad buttons; have always wanted to play jazz but have not gotten quite there. Still have time I think though did play in church for a few years.
I like cooking but the urge comes and goes.
Cars have become so computerized it's no fun any more.
Right now I'm looking into fooling around with computer home automation, this Arduino thingy has my fancy tickled for now. And I still have an organ and the classical guitar for when I get the urge.
It keeps the Alzheimer's at bay.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

And I still have an organ for when I get the urge.
Fixed the spelling for you. :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Hehe. That too. Actually an old Yamaha with double deck and bass pedals.
วินเชนท์
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I'm passionate about travel, women, beer and idling around with little to do. However, having a job and a wife mostly gets in the way of those.

:(
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

People's passions change, well mine have. In my teens I was a very keen rugby player. I've always been interested in language, especially French. I've been passionate about more women than I should have in more places than I should have. In my 30's and 40's I was pretty passionate about motorbikes - but that was also when I had my ear pierced, so it might have been a middle-age crisis...

But the one thing that has always been, and still is, my constant passion is acting.
This is the way