Best selling UK foods for the expat matket

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
lomuamart

Best selling UK foods for the expat matket

Post by lomuamart »

Running on a little bit from iagra's thread about foods from home that are impossible to get here and not wanting to intrude with this, thought the following article from today's Times might be of interest.
Here are the top selling UK food items bought by expats abroad. How many of these can be found in HH? And Marmite Ribena????? Never knew it existed:

Top exports

Wall’s sausages
PG Tips
Typhoo
Tetley
Marks & Spencer ready meals
Marmite Ribena
HP sauce
Heinz baked beans
Oxo cubes
McVities digestives
Mr Kipling cakes
Walkers’ shortbread
Jacobs crackers
Fox’s biscuits
Wagon Wheels
Cadbury’s Fingers Fox’s biscuits
Fudges biscuits
Duchy Originals biscuits
Carr’s crackers
Nairns oatcakes
Cadbury’s chocolate
Bassetts sweets
Tunnocks Tea
Cakes/Snowballs
Love Hearts
Refreshers

The full article:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 144542.ece
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Best selling UK foods for the ex pat market

Post by margaretcarnes »

Good grief Lomu, I think you'd have a job finding some of that stuff in the UK! I don't doubt the accuracy of the list of course, but had never heard of Tunnocks Tea, Fudges biscuits, or Marmite Ribena. As for Love Hearts - rarely see them here. Mind you, don't really look too hard either.
The Marmite Ribena might be a limited edition thing. Its a bit of a craze at the moment doing limited edition food, such as Guinness Marmite.
Cadbury's chocolate IS a problem I agree. Plentiful in Malaysia though, but you can get plenty of Nestle and Herschey in HH.
Wagon Wheels were scarce in the UK for a while, but have made a comeback.
The link to HHH and B has lovely pics of shelves laden with some of the other items mentioned. But as you and I know, Walls sos is the pits. Its Lincolnshire Pork or nowt! :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

With exception of tea, IMHO there is no such thing as bad tea, and Marmite Ribena these are all mass produced heavily marketed products full of additives and crap.

No mention of Sussex Lamb, Scotch mussels, Scotch smoked salmon, English strawberries, Stilton, English Cheddar, Yorkshire puddings, custard, Cornish clotted cream or Chicken Tikka Masala.

Margaret. You will find Love Hearts in the Children's sweets section along with the shrimps, bananas and flying saucers. We can get Cadbury's here now but only with fruit or nuts and a few Cadbury chocolate coated biscuits.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Now here is an opportunity for entrepreneurs then. Replace the Dutch products with the ones on lomuamart's list:

http://www.typicaldutchstuff.com/meals.shtml
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Mags and lomu (in particular),
There is no such thing as Marmite Ribena! It is a typo by the newspaper and they should be listed separately...(oh for a D'OH! emoticon) :roll:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Never heard of Fudges biscuits!!!

There are not many finer things than their Stilton crackers!

Waitrose sell them.

I think the Walls sausages must be a last resort thing?
Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Quite correct, WL. I just tried to prove you wrong and came up with this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsi ... 204418.stm
DUH.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I glad to hear that Marmite Ribena doesn't exist because that would be a pretty revolting combination.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

The Tunnocks Tea & the following line Cakes/Snowballs should be together & read: Tunnocks Tea Cakes/Snowballs. They are a biscuit base with marshmallow on top, covered with chocolate.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Liquorice, Gobsmackers, Chocolate eclairs, treacle toffee, cheese straws, pickled eggs (just made some), marshmallows, toffee apples, and many more :D
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Guess wrote: You will find Love Hearts in the Children's sweets section along with the shrimps, bananas and flying saucers.
Aren't we all children at heart? Found a sweet shop in York, Austrailia last year. Had all of the above. Couldn't resist the flying saucers, but sadly they didn't seem to be as good as I remember, memories are made.... Came back with some pineapple chunks, lemon sherbets, and sour plums. They also sold Caramacs (drool, dribble emoticon).

Quite frankly, the only thing I really miss here is English cider, and real ale combined with pub banter with friends (the latter being priceless).

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

richard wrote:.....pickled eggs (just made some), ...... :D
That will keep your fuel cost down.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guess wrote
We can get Cadbury's here now but only with fruit or nuts and a few Cadbury chocolate coated biscuits.
There was a plentiful supply of Cadbury's chocolate (various types)available in the local 7-11 last month. Having spotted it, I had an uncontrollable urge to taste a bit of the UK (not recommended for a diabetic) :oops:

Although the labelling was Cadbury, and the appearance was Cadbury, I can assure you that it was not Cadbury as manufactured in the UK :( . It was the worst chocolate that I've tasted for a long time.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Luxrebel
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Luxrebel »

I believe they have to put an ingredient in the chocolate to stop it melting too easily. This obviously changes the taste.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

food

Post by lindosfan1 »

Tecos sell cadburys chocolate tastes the same as in the UK
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.