Best selling UK foods for the expat matket

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

You are not wrong BB .The Malaysian version is a lot better .

Crazy 88
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Best selling foods for the ex pat market

Post by margaretcarnes »

It's a relief to hear that the marmite/Ribena/teacakes and snowballs are sorted! Oh yes WL - oh for a D'OH! emoticon. Maybe a Homer one?
And agreed VS - Caramac is well worth a dribble or two. Although Cadburys now do a good chunky white called Dream, theres still nowt quite like Caramac.
BTW when I asked at work why we don't stock white choc bars in the caff I was greeted with 'Oh - BABY chocolate!' Face? Bovvered? :P

PS - ad here for Oreos is 'Twist, lick, dunk' Clearly Brits need encouraging to try these magnificent American imports, but IMHO 'twist lick dunk' is no way to treat such a noble bikky.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Agree with Khun Richard...Pontefract Cakes and Bassets Allsorts.
Lots of Cadbury's choccies in Gee supermarket.
Finding Caramacs in York (W.Oz)...went there 10 yrs ago, only shop I
saw sold tractors & combine harvesters...well if truckers need Yorkies,
I guess farmers can chomp Caramacs all day long.
Every now and then,when I've just lashed out 5/10b for a banana
cake (those pre-packed ones at corner shops here) I take it home and
bathe it in Bird's (instant) custard,mmm wheres that big 'sa-poon'?
What about 'real' natural yoghurt?..the unsweetened variety...does
anyone sell it or do we have to make it?
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Superb natural yoghurt, whatever size pot you like, and the best in Thailand from All In Hua Hin.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Best selling UK foods for the ex pat market

Post by margaretcarnes »

Those lovely sticky banana cakes! Had forgotten about them. Great value.
So what about OTHER things that expats miss when they've gone home? Lets turn it around, and I'll kick off with -
Green Mango
Really really fresh pineapple
Roasted broad bean things in little bags
Chilled cans of Birdy coffee!
Build your own hotdogs in the 7Elevens

:cheers:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Luxrebel wrote:I believe they have to put an ingredient in the chocolate to stop it melting too easily. This obviously changes the taste.
No I don't think that is it. The reason why you get molten chocolate (or chocolate that has been molten) is because the delivery staff and/or the 7/11 staff are not trained properly. Most 7/11s are airconned enough to stock on shelves but the really clued up ones place chocolate in the fridge.

If BigBoy is correct, and I am sure he is, I would guess he been sold a forgery. I have also bought Cadbury's products that have not been up to scratch. Cadbury's do manufacture outside of the UK but I am not sure where. I can not believe that they would let standards slip though.

Pontefract cakes. OK I suppose but when you have had Dutch Liquorice there is no substitute.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Cadbury's manufacture in very very many countries and adjust very slightly to local taste eg in Thailand it is sweeter than in UK
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guess wrote:
If BigBoy is correct, and I am sure he is, I would guess he been sold a forgery. I have also bought Cadbury's products that have not been up to scratch. Cadbury's do manufacture outside of the UK but I am not sure where. I can not believe that they would let standards slip though.
:cuss: Surely not :cry: , forging Cadbury's chocolate - now I've heard it all :cuss:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

VS
Quite frankly, the only thing I really miss here is English cider, and real ale combined with pub banter with friends
someday angel I look forward to sharing a cold pint and some conversation with you.... spent all night in search of a good yap about cabbages and kings and found nowt.

maybe the HHAD "intelligentsia" should get together for a bit of "Saturday night filossiflysin" ... cabbages and kings is fun eh? Put the world to right over a pint or three .....

as an ex pat all I miss is that (mostly.....Geronimo Bar solves a bit). :cheers: ( I aint selling the place but its the only intelligent conversation I have outwith here...seems sad with all us in town......)

Y know what I'd love right now after too many Changs....

A Bury black pudding steamed for 20 minutes. slow fried English onions and some Coleman's French Mustard.......
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: Best selling foods for the ex pat market

Post by Vital Spark »

margaretcarnes wrote: Cadburys now do a good chunky white called Dream
Margaret: Now, that really is unfair. I got semi-addicted to the chunky Milky Bars, but this sounds even better. I'll swap a freshly picked, sweet pineapple for a bar of Dream (I'll even throw in a green mango and as many bags of broad beany things as you want). :wink:

SM: We don't venture into the metropolis after dark. We live about 35km West of Hua Hin and pop into the place once a fortnight or so (it's getting more infrequent with the cost of petrol). We dash in, buy our bits and bobs, have a beer or two at All In Hua Hin, and dash out again. We like to get home before nightfall. The guard dog gets upset if he has to be on duty after 7pm!

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Best selling foods for the ex pat market

Post by margaretcarnes »

You got a deal VS!
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Superb natural yoghurt, whatever size pot you like
Babies puke, the bigger the baby the bigger the pot you can fill. Best let it go cold first though... :D
www.35mmview.com
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Sandman.... picture this....ice cold pint of Strongbow a large ploughmans lunch with ham, and four cheese's, strong pickled onions, crusty french stick, and lots of branston pickle, to make it the real deal. There is just some things that will allways be a british institution. :D :cheers: :D I think i will go for the above today..... now where's my umbrella. :roll:
Last edited by kendo on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Just had crumpets for lunch .mmmmmmmmmmm good ones as well .From Villa 136bt for six .Should have them in HH soon .Plain packaged mighty soft crumpets .

:D

crazy 88
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Sounds good

Cheaper than Binterban :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.