Brandy what?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Piggy
Novice
Novice

Brandy what?

Post by Piggy »

Hello

This isn't a post about Hua Hin!?!

I have the first christmas in the UK and i need some advice.

I have a Christmas pudding, but I don't know about the cream, what is best for the pudding between brandy butter, cream and souce? and what the best brand?

My husband he can't help me, because he can't eat the cream! :twisted:

Can you help? Thank you
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Hi Piggy,

I'm afraid it's all a matter of personal taste. I like cream & hate brandy butter or sauces because I think they're too rich (or strong tasting) with the pudding, which tastes very strong itself. But many people like brandy butter - in fact it's traditional. Is it just the cream your husband doesn't like, or doesn't he like the sauces either?
Maybe if you serve the pudding on its own and then a choice of cream and a sauce to go with it? As for cream, I like double cream; very decadent!! :thumb:

Merry Christmas! :cheers:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Piggy
Novice
Novice

Post by Piggy »

Thank you DawnHHDRC

My husband he can't eat the cream because it can make he ill, and i prefere the single or double cream than the Brandy cream too.
:P
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Just cover it in brandy

Set light to it and serve it with a very srong cheddar cheese
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

If he has a problem with cream then I would think that he would also have a problem with cheese and butter and almost certainly milk.

There are custard mixes available that do not include dairy products. You have to read the can though. Most large supermarkets will do them. Birds is a well known reputable company but maybe not the best.

Nestle make whole range of non-dairy creamer products that make a good substitute for dairy creams but I am not sure what you find available in the UK. Certainly you can get the basic Coffeemate product.

Here are some examples:

http://www.nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publicati ... ll0517.htm
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks all, but its not for me - I don't eat cake (for obvious reasons, either)!

Parents long dead, sister abroad and would rather be shot than force fed so many calories, no other real family and trying to remember what my mum did, Always made the pudding and cake herself and a gentle flame hovered over the pud.

But Guess is right, I am allergic to egg in particular (the white bit) and too much dairy produce. I save myself for a quality piece (or three or four) of Stilton - such a sacrifice!

Why is life so complicated?

Anyway, I looked, with Ooy, at all the options and it was as clear as mud to me? So following Dawns earlier reply (thanks) I went out and bought some extra gooey double cream from Jersey, minus alcohol as well as some smoked salmon, those funny sausages covered in bacon and god knows what else - and some nice wine - lots - oh, and port! :D

Can I just point out that I will be slaving over a hot oven for most of the day! The plan is something like this:

1. Get up - bubbly brekky, maybe some bacon?
2. Later - top and tail the turkey, more bubbly.
3. About 11.00, first beer, maybe some salmon canapes?
4. More beer, oh okay, open pressies and that sort of thing.
5. About 3-4pm, serious cooking, spuds are in, now all the extras to attend to.
6. Open Pinot Noir.
7. Eat, drink and be merry.
8. Sleep.
9. Repeat from step 3.

Its gonna be too cold to go out.
Talk is cheap
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Sounds like a perfect Christmas. Enjoy! :thumb:

BTW Piggy, forgot to say, it's not traditional, but Christmas pud also tastes fantastic with a good vanilla ice cream! :cheers:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Hi, everyone

DawnHHDRC, the Vanilla ice cream is in my freezer all the time. :oops: :oops:

piggy
Talk is cheap