The Beer Thread 2

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Re: The Beer Thread 2

Post by buksida »

Likewise, its been 30 years since I've tried NBA and I remember it being a weak watery 'tan beer' that couldn't really be labelled a real dark beer and gave you evil hangovers. The Carabao dark had similar properties IMO though I wouldn't want to drink enough of it to get to that state!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe Southerners got the drags nobody wanted up North. That description certainly doesn't match what I used to enjoy.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

buksida wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:51 pm I tried the two Carabao beers yesterday and the lager one is just another Thai chemical beer that tastes like Leo so won't be going back to that. The dark one is more like a weak Newcastle Brown Ale than a real dark beer but just about palatable for the price. Hoping the IPA as better but not holding my breath.
I tried the red beer (Dunkle) and was reasonably happy. 4.9% alcohol, small tin poured into a glass, so the very slight tinny edge could be down to that. I have a bottle to try next. Overall it seems fairly good on fullness of taste, not on a par with dark beers like Erdinger Dark, or Kaiserdom Dark which is my go-to when I want a change from Chang. At the price point with the large bottle being just one Baht more than Chang Classic at the independent supermarket I bought it, I think I'm quite happy. :mrgreen:

The IPA has to be tried with fingers crossed, when I can find it. But I guess it's more expensive, also I see approx 6-7% alcohol content.....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My DIL has just brought home the new Singha 89cal beer, which I will sample later this evening.

89 calories and gluten free premium light lager. Only 3.2% ABV though.

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Update on Carabao. I bought a case of the dark beer at Lotus. The bottles don't have any tinny tang. It'll be my goto in future if there are stocks. Cost was around same at Chang Ice Cold, which was showing as actually a lot cheaper than Chang Classic (which I prefer anyway).

Then I went to CJ up Pala-U road:

"We only stock Chang beer".

So how about that?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL the dark Carabao I tried was also from a bottle. It was the lager that was from the can. Having said that, I am pleased you like it (we all have different tastes). No doubt if I had tried it before my 2012 stomach operation, I'd have loved it as well. Since that op, I'm a funny beast Maybe if they'd told me I wouldn't have enjoyed a lot of beers before the op, I might not have had the op.:laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:15 pm My DIL has just brought home the new Singha 89cal beer, which I will sample later this evening.

89 calories and gluten free premium light lager. Only 3.2% ABV though.
Well, fairly predictable, but I didn't like it. So weak, I didn't even notice a chemical taste.

More surprisingly, probably the worst reaction to a Thai beer that I've ever seen from my son. He said even worse than My Beer (don't think I've tried that).

It must be a girlie beer. My DIL thought the Singha 89cal was fantastic :?

So there we go, 3 reviews in one.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

He said even worse than My Beer (don't think I've tried that).
I tried it once and found it was basically tasteless.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'm in Metz, France for the weekend and I've come across this, Brasserie de Clemery Dubbel Oak which apparently was awarded the best beer in the world award in Frankfurt this year.
I haven't drank all the other beers in the world to know if that's true, ( despite trying! )but it is very good.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:35 am I'm in Metz, France for the weekend and I've come across this, Brasserie de Clemery Dubbel Oak which apparently was awarded the best beer in the world award in Frankfurt this year.
I haven't drank all the other beers in the world to know if that's true, ( despite trying! )but it is very good.
Steve, we have to get rid of your photo because of Thailand alcohol advertising laws. See the OP for this thread. Sorry. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Ah yes, I forgot about that!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Some will most certainly cry foul at what I'm about to write. To the naysayers, I suggest you consult VAR :duck: :butt:

Over the festive period I found the perfect use for the new Carabao Dunkel Beer - I used it to make shandy, and the lemonade killed the chemical taste for me.

I always used to enjoy a refreshing shandy on a warm summer's afternoon in the UK. We get plenty of warm afternoons here, so a perfect solution for me. I'm most definitely not suggesting everybody should start drinking shandy, but Dunkel makes it an affordable option for me in Thailand, and I enjoyed it.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:10 pm Some will most certainly cry foul at what I'm about to write. To the naysayers, I suggest you consult VAR :duck: :butt:

Over the festive period I found the perfect use for the new Carabao Dunkel Beer - I used it to make shandy, and the lemonade killed the chemical taste for me.

I always used to enjoy a refreshing shandy on a warm summer's afternoon in the UK. We get plenty of warm afternoons here, so a perfect solution for me. I'm most definitely not suggesting everybody should start drinking shandy, but Dunkel makes it an affordable option for me in Thailand, and I enjoyed it.
A long time ago in my football playing days, I would often have a pint of shandy after a game or training, because as you say, it was really refreshing - mind you it was normally only the one, before moving on to the less gassy options!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree: but an affordable option that hasn't really existed here in Thailand until now.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:18 pm :agree: but an affordable option that hasn't really existed here in Thailand until now.
Have you ever tried a Chang shandy?