Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by StevePIraq »

Saw a little incident at Big C the other day which I thought worth mentioning.

After getting my trolley I walked up past the veg area only to see a roast chickens laying on the floor, I called the female attendant and pointed out this health risk thinking it would go straight in the bin. I finished my shopping some 20/30 minutes later and getting my frozen foods as the last thing only to see the roast chicken still laying on the floor. I called the woman over and again showed her, she promptly came running around with a pair of tongs no doubt to avoid getting her hands dirty, picked up the chicken and put it straight back on display. I told her you can't do that, she just said don't worry it will be ok.

Obviously very little in the way of health training at Big C.

I never buy any of the pre cooked food there.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by oakdale160 »

I guess we could now continue this thread with multiple justifiable complaints about the lack of hygiene in the preparation and selling of food, but its like everything else in Thai, there are regulations but there is no enforcement.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

At Lotus, Makro & Villa the cooked food is wrapped or behind glass.
Moo Wanna, (wanna moo?) the pork is thrown into bins and people dig through it with plastic gloves but I have seen some bare hands. Then there's the flies hovering for their share. I only went once.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:17 pm Then there's the flies hovering for their share. I only went once.
I don't think anywhere is immune from flies. Admittedly, some places are worse than others, but they sneak in everywhere.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I buy pork and chicken from Moowanna and never got sick. But I cook it before I eat it....

Seriously though, the raw meat is put in open bins in Tesco Lotus just the same way. And I never noticed an abundance of flies in Moowanna, plus it's always so busy there I don't think meat could ever sit long enough to get flyblown (typing that word makes me queasy!).

I do find myself in Tesco Lotus and Big C closing the refrigerator doors ofte though, sometimes the staff leave them open and wander away while restocking shelves, sometimes a door in Big C is broken and won't stay fully shut anyway.

As oakdale says, TIT, eat sh*t or go home. :)
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Who ever really knows what goes on behind the scenes? I've seen thawed food at Lotus due to freezer doors being left open so never trust their frozen foods. As mentioned bare hands sorting through the raw pork and, after weighing, the plastic bag set on top of the raw pork/chicken.

My (Thai) wife worked at Disneyland for 11 years and has a certificate in safe food handling. She admits that what she accepted in Thailand before moving to the states is definitely changed!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I personally can't recall ever seeing a single fly in Makro Hua-Hin. In fact, I have often wondered how they do it.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

A scientific fact/cooking tip. Microwave is very good at killing bacteria. Whenever I an cooking Chicken or pork, particularly if BBQing, I wash the meat off well and then put them in the M/W for 2 mins first..
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 am I personally can't recall ever seeing a single fly in Makro Hua-Hin. In fact, I have often wondered how they do it.
I have - its not a huge problem, but they are there.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've seen thawed food at Lotus due to freezer doors being left open so never trust their frozen foods.
Until recently, I'd always believed that frozen foods that had thawed could not be frozen again. Then someone told me that you can. Asked Khun Google and sure enough he was right. If it's thawed in a fridge (rather than in the room) it's quite safe to refreeze.

The amount of food that I've thrown away over the years because I didn't refreeze it after thawing!!
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly
In the situation with regard to thawed frozen foods because of the door being opened, the food has not thawed outside the fridge so safe to refreeze.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

You can refreeze fish but it doesn't taste as good when after you've cooked it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 am I personally can't recall ever seeing a single fly in Makro Hua-Hin. In fact, I have often wondered how they do it.
Maybe I was unlucky, but there was one on the pork counter about a week ago - but I admit it is fairly rare
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:53 am
I've seen thawed food at Lotus due to freezer doors being left open so never trust their frozen foods.
Until recently, I'd always believed that frozen foods that had thawed could not be frozen again. Then someone told me that you can. Asked Khun Google and sure enough he was right. If it's thawed in a fridge (rather than in the room) it's quite safe to refreeze.

The amount of food that I've thrown away over the years because I didn't refreeze it after thawing!!
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly
In the situation with regard to thawed frozen foods because of the door being opened, the food has not thawed outside the fridge so safe to refreeze.
I've read that but I always have my doubts in a place like Lotus. Plus I believe the packaging also can make a difference. Guess it doesn't really matter, all their frozen food is, how do you say it on your side of the pond, shite??!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

how do you say it on your side of the pond, shite??!!
We'll make a Brit of you yet..... lol
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

You warm your pre cooked chicken in an oven and you can eat it without any fear of poisoning.