Sofitel HH afternoon tea ?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Harry Palmer
Rookie
Rookie

Sofitel HH afternoon tea ?

Post by Harry Palmer »

Hi all,

has anyone had the Afternoon Tea at the Sofitel ( was Grand Centra )

Been getting some ear ache to go but it's not my cup of tea so to speak.

So whats it all about, enjoyable or just boring. :banghead:
Loginbs
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Sofitel HH afternoon tea ?

Post by Loginbs »

Enjoyable, just Tea at 154b or the whole 9 yards at I am not sure, 500b range.
Tony
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Very nice. Had afternoon tea there last year on my birthday. Various afternoon tea menus, plenty of savoury and sweet accompaniments. I remember paying over 650 a person which was with the ++.

Took afternoon tea in their 'Library' room. Lovely area, great seating. Worth it.
Harry Palmer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Harry Palmer »

Thanks for the prompt replies, it don't sound too bad so it's off we go for afternoon tea, little finger pointing out say what.....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

is there a dress code? I ask, because I was refused entry several years ago for no apparent reason (wasn't dressed scruffy either). A friend who was staying there a few months ago was refused breakfast, because they considered his dress inappropriate - he was wearing a (smart) vest and shorts.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Loginbs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Loginbs »

I go in shorts and t-shirt with sandals, to the Museum where the Tea is held, nobody dresses to the nines there, shorts for everybody it seemed.
Tony
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Loginbs wrote:I go in shorts and t-shirt with sandals, to the Museum where the Tea is held, nobody dresses to the nines there, shorts for everybody it seemed.
Tony
You are right, it is the museum room not the library room as I mentioned in my post.

I also thought it was still the Centara, not Sofitel. It was Centara when I stayed there last year.

Whichever and wherever I think it is a fabulous hotel.

Some history to the place and a film location for the Killing Fields'.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

dalmatiandave wrote:
Loginbs wrote:I go in shorts and t-shirt with sandals, to the Museum where the Tea is held, nobody dresses to the nines there, shorts for everybody it seemed.
Tony
You are right, it is the museum room not the library room as I mentioned in my post.

I also thought it was still the Centara, not Sofitel. It was Centara when I stayed there last year.

I stayed in Hilton next door some years a go to get parking in the centre of town and ability to explore HH town in the evening without needing a car to go there, we just didn't like the Hilton overcrowded with europeans on packadge tours, so moved back to Dusit Thani.
How was Centara/Sofitel with regards to crowds on holiday?

That's one reason a like Dusit so much btw, quiet, never crowded an usually only one or two other farangs in addition to myself, with their respective Thai wives and kids.

Would Sofitel be a Dusit Thani in cente of town?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Frank La Rue wrote:
dalmatiandave wrote:
Tony

I stayed in Hilton next door some years a go to get parking in the centre of town and ability to explore HH town in the evening without needing a car to go there, we just didn't like the Hilton overcrowded with europeans on packadge tours, so moved back to Dusit Thani.
How was Centara/Sofitel with regards to crowds on holiday?

That's one reason a like Dusit so much btw, quiet, never crowded an usually only one or two other farangs in addition to myself, with their respective Thai wives and kids.

Would Sofitel be a Dusit Thani in cente of town?
Centara has security at all entrances including the beach. I found the place frequented mostly by residents and a few who came for dinner or tea. It is not cheap and has massive yet beautiful grounds, I never once felt it remotely over populated; in fact it was so lovely and peaceful I did not want to destroy the experience by stepping outside into Hua Hin proper.

I spent 24 hours there on my birthday and loved every minute. I will do it again for my 61st.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Sounds good - my 61st is coming up as well - I will try it in July instead of Dusit.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
jimk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jimk »

Big Boy, your friend was refused breakfast because he was wearing a vest. It was at one time an offence in Thailand (probably one of Pibulsonggram's decrees) for men to appear in public in vest and pants, which had become a common sight in Bangkok's Chinatown. Pibul was also the prime minister who decreed that everyone should wear a hat out of doors, because that's what they did in the West. He also ordered Thais to stop eating with their fingers and start using a fork and spoon, and changed the name of the country from Siam.

The hat law has thankfully been long forgotten, but even today you'll never catch a Thai man on the street in a tank top. I saw a policeman stop two Asians on a motorcycle on Petchkasem one day because they were wearing tank tops. Turned out they were Chinese tourists and the cop had taken them for Thais. Westerners get away with it here, as they get away with many things, but I've heard of people being turned away from Immigration and told to come back wearing a shirt.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

jimk wrote:even today you'll never catch a Thai man on the street in a tank top.
Really? :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
jimk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by jimk »

Well, one should never say 'never'. But it would be a rare sight. And he'd be risking a MIB caution for being inappropriately dressed.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, we obviously frequent different parts of Thailand.

Points 48; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Vests are for the beach, not bars, restaurants or shops. Unless you live in Pattaya........
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.